Gaming [Trailer] Mario Kart

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
It's a little annoying to keep seeing the same tracks that have been in the other games.
No matter what, if there was no retro they would stick to the traditional cup format. Retros are a bonus so I welcome them, especially seeing what they've chosen so far

hendrix5757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Toni Plutonij said:
...it looks like a plain Mario Kart to me, graphics don't look much better the on DS...

I know!!

dsv3ds.png

I can hardly tell them apart!!!
rolleyes.gif

Hardly tell them apart? U guys need to get your eyes checked. There's quite a difference in graphics quality. It's not the leap from PSX to PS3, but more like PSX to GC.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hendrix5757 said:
spinal_cord said:
Toni Plutonij said:
...it looks like a plain Mario Kart to me, graphics don't look much better the on DS...

I know!!

dsv3ds.png

rolleyes.gif

Hardly tell them apart? U guys need to get your eyes checked. There's quite a difference in graphics quality. It's not the leap from PSX to PS3, but more like PSX to GC.

He was being sarcastic.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we get plenty in each mario kart. Isnt there like 16 new tracks and 16 retro? Im perfectly fine with that even if some of the tracks are the same.

hendrix5757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
hendrix5757 said:
spinal_cord said:
Toni Plutonij said:

I know!!

dsv3ds.png

rolleyes.gif

He was being sarcastic.

Word

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Coming from somebody who played an ass ton of Mario Kart on his DS (before my friend never gave me my game back :/), I can say that the screenshot comparison provided makes the DS version look substantially worse than it actually does. The 3DS version doesn't look that much better this early on.

I'm sure it will look fantastic come release date. I also enjoy the idea of kart customizing, an idea implemented a little late in the series really.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Coming from somebody who played an ass ton of Mario Kart on his DS (before my friend never gave me my game back :/), I can say that the screenshot comparison provided makes the DS version look substantially worse than it actually does. The 3DS version doesn't look that much better this early on.

I'm sure it will look fantastic come release date. I also enjoy the idea of kart customizing, an idea implemented a little late in the series really.
Coming from someone who has also played an ass ton of Mario Kart DS, you MUST be joking. The difference is night and day dude.
rolleyes.gif

Screen above is pretty much what the DS version looks like, though they could have shown off better environments. For better reference, here's a couple of screen comparisons with the DS version taken personally by myself in lossless png (with desmume, perfect graphics, and accurate representation of what it really looks like)-

mkds1.png
997822_20110607_screen004.jpg

mariokartds0918059.png
997822_20110607_screen005.jpg

mariokartds2220649.png
997822_20110607_screen010.jpg

The DS version looks like something out of the N64 or PS1 era at best. I'll give it some credit for being able to sustain a perfect 60fps even with 8 racers onscreen though. Other than that, it's definitely in that mid-late 90's era of graphics. The lack of a bilinear texture filter really makes the DS version show how pixelated the textures are. Whereas the 3DS version looks strikingly similar to the GC and Wii Mario Kart (even sports some environmental and lighting effects not seen in those). Compared to the DS version- textures are miles better, the models are built with a much higher polygon count (even little details like the carts and wheels). Environments sport much more detail to them with more environmental objects such as tons fully polygonal trees (most if not all trees in MKDS are just 2D sprites). There are new environmental effects such as clouds, sunshine effects, particle effects, and water reflections. Not to mention the character shading and lighting (virtually nonexistent in MKDS).

If you're seriously telling me there's not much difference, i'm stunned. Keep in mind that the 3DS version also has to do all this WITH the 3D effect on, and at a full 60fps. At a higher resolution to boot. Don't get me wrong, MKDS was an impressive game. But it was basically among the best of its kind on the DS and still falls far short of the 3DS version. There's really no comparison, the 3DS version has far superior graphics.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
the models are built with a much higher polygon count (even little details like the carts and wheels)
The wheels looks like the details are done with shaders, seeing them from multiple angles in the shots, it looks to me like there's no depth in the model, just some nice mapping to simulate it.

Luk@s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I hope there will be a way to race anyone who's online and not only those who are supposed to be your friends (exchanging codes). I believe that it should be as Wii version at that point. What do you guys think?

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(Luk@s @ Jun 14 2011, 01:16 PM) I hope there will be a way to race anyone who's online and not only those who are supposed to be your friends (exchanging codes). I believe that it should be as Wii version at that point. What do you guys think?
In Mario Kart DS/Wii you could race random people online. This will have that too.

Zalda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE(Luk@s @ Jun 14 2011, 10:16 PM) I hope there will be a way to race anyone who's online and not only those who are supposed to be your friends (exchanging codes). I believe that it should be as Wii version at that point. What do you guys think?

The DS version had this too, no? You could search for local region (Europe/USA/Asia) or Worldwide.

Luk@s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
You're right, I forgot
smile.gif
Oh yea, I remember that I wasn't able to connect to wi-fi because I didn't find WEP key? I still don't know how to configure it properly....

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe my actual copy of Mario Kart DS was just special, but those screenshots still make it look so much worse than it looked when I played it.

I kinda wish they had polished up the trailer a little bit too. Models still have a kind of pixely appearance on their edges, and backgrounds look absolutely terrible. I know this will be fixed by final release (well, I hope), but for trying to show off the game, it is hard for me to miss.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
granville said:
the models are built with a much higher polygon count (even little details like the carts and wheels)The wheels looks like the details are done with shaders, seeing them from multiple angles in the shots, it looks to me like there's no depth in the model, just some nice mapping to simulate it.

More than likely some bump mapping and shader details for the tire tread and creases, but the wheel shape itself looks more curved and less jagged overall. It actually resembles a more circular wheel now, as opposed to a flat textured jagged hexagon or octagon.

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Jun 14 2011, 06:44 PM)
Maybe my actual copy of Mario Kart DS was just special, but those screenshots still make it look so much worse than it looked when I played it.

I kinda wish they had polished up the trailer a little bit too. Models still have a kind of pixely appearance on their edges, and backgrounds look absolutely terrible. I know this will be fixed by final release (well, I hope), but for trying to show off the game, it is hard for me to miss.
Not seeing how backgrounds look "terrible" at all. If anything, there's far more detail and they've received some actual 3D models as opposed to a flat 2D sprite background. The models and the entire game lack anti aliasing, which is what makes their edges look pixelated. The 3DS supports anti aliasing, but it's up to developers to add it in. It's far better than the DS version regardless though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?