Homebrew Totally new to homebrew, can someone tell me.....

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I will need to get started?? And what you reccomend. Also, maybe a guide to homebrew for "dummies" I've never dabbled in homebrew or ROMs or hacking before, but I'd like to get into the apps and ROMs and emus and stuff like that that that homebrew has to offer to me.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice to help me get started???

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

EDIT: Just so you know, I'm really looking to go headfirst into homebrew. All but DS emus(like you emulate the DS) and maybe GBA(I'll think about that one later, probably but for now I have a huge backlog of legit GBA games to play on hand at my house) I'm talking NES emus, SNES emus, Master System, Genesis, Atari 2600, Coleco, Intellivision, organizers, web browsers, an OS, everything like that. So keep that in mind when you post advice for me please.

Not trying to be rude, just making sure I have all my bases covered.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

EDIT(again =S): I forgot to mention this in the OP and my last edit, but I'll be homebrewing a DSiXL, and if possible, what games I have on cart for it(legit games) as well as DSiWare games and apps, I'd still like to be able to use these afterwards(sp?). Is there anyway to make this happen???

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you own a flashcard?
If not, I'd suggest either an AceKard 2i or SuperCard DStwo. If you plan on getting a DSi, there's the iEvolution which runs in DSi mode (the only card to do so currently).
From there, it's just a matter of getting the homebrew and copying it onto your MicroSD card, popping flashcart into the DS and then running the homebrew.

There are lots of places to get homebrew, GBAtemps' file repository FileTrip is a great place to start.

As for WHAT to get...
DSOrganize for an organizer: http://www.dragonminded.com/ndsdev/dsorganize/ (Get 3.1129, NOT 3.2!)
Bunjallo for a browser: http://code.google.com/p/quirkysoft/ (DSorganize also has a browser)
nesDS for NES games: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/files/
SNEmulDS for SNES: http://www.snemul.com/ds/ (outdated/discontinued)
jEnesisDS for Genesis: http://www.workingdesign.de/projects/jenesisds.php

Check the stickies at the top of this forum for Atari / Colecovision / Intellivision.

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks guys!!! Will the Supercard 2 work on my DSiXL??? Or is it only compatible with DSi and DSL and DSP???

Just making sure I got my bases covered again!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:
Ok thanks guys!!! Will the Supercard 2 work on my DSiXL??? Or is it only compatible with DSi and DSL and DSP???

Just making sure I got my bases covered again!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Yes, it will work on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSiXL.

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet!! Just 2 more questions, and I should be done here(for today anyway, this is a great community and I will DEFINATELY be revisiting soon ^-^)

1. Whats a good eBook Reader that I can grab?? I'd like ePub support if possible(not required though) and touch screen page turning(tap or drag or both)

2. Any particular version of said eBook reader I should get?? Also, any particular version of Moonshell 2 I should get???

Thanks in advance for the quick and friendly responses!!!

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
aldent8807 said:
Sweet!! Just 2 more questions, and I should be done here(for today anyway, this is a great community and I will DEFINATELY be revisiting soon ^-^)

1. Whats a good eBook Reader that I can grab?? I'd like ePub support if possible(not required though) and touch screen page turning(tap or drag or both)

2. Any particular version of said eBook reader I should get?? Also, any particular version of Moonshell 2 I should get???

1. Iku Reader

2. The latest one

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:

There is an official e-reader plug-in for the Supercard DSTWO called the i-reader.

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm sorry bout this guys, but I just realized something:

When I asked if it would run on my XL, I mean will I still be able to access my DSiXL homescreen, like the one you get when you buy it and open it, fresh outta the box??? That way I can still easily access and play DSiWare games, and have that nifty little interface there to use(if I ever wanted to that is, probably not, but hey, might as well make sure ^-^)

Sorry, I think thats the last of it after this!!!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:

When I asked if it would run on my XL, I mean will I still be able to access my DSiXL homescreen, like the one you get when you buy it and open it, fresh outta the box??? That way I can still easily access and play DSiWare games, and have that nifty little interface there to use(i I ever wanted to that is, probably not, but hey, might as well make sure ^-^)

Yes you can, it doesn't modify your DSiXL in anyway.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
aldent8807 said:

When I asked if it would run on my XL, I mean will I still be able to access my DSiXL homescreen, like the one you get when you buy it and open it, fresh outta the box??? That way I can still easily access and play DSiWare games, and have that nifty little interface there to use(if I ever wanted to that is, probably not, but hey, might as well make sure ^-^)

Yes you will.

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks guys!!! Thats all I need to know, for now anyway. Will DEFINATELY be revisiting the gbatemp forums, so helpful and friendly, fast too!!! ^-^

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was just looking at the Iku Reader thread, and someone mentioned something on page 6 or 7 I hadn't thought about: Will I need WinRaR or 7zip or any kind of program like that on my memory chip when I get my necessary hardware & software, or will I be able to use the flashcard for this???

Thanks in advance for answers!!!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:
Was just looking at the Iku Reader thread, and someone mentioned something on page 6 or 7 I hadn't thought about: Will I need WinRaR or 7zip or any kind of program like that on my memory chip when I get my necessary hardware & software, or will I be able to use the flashcard for this???

Thanks in advance for answers!!!
No, you won't need Winrar or 7zip on your memory card, just Iku Reader and the e-book.

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions about that article/thread you posted.

•Q - Where can I download ROMs?
A - It is illegal in most countries (including the US) to download ROMs off the internet, even if you own the game. You are only allowed to back up your own games.

Where CAN I DL ROMs??? I know its a illegal, but I have a HUGE legit, on-cart collection I plan to back up as files on the flash cart, and only a few I want to DL without owning them, mainly because I can't find them, or they are fan-translated ROMs(such as FE6) Is there somewhere on this site, or somewhere I can look for good copies that will run well???

And thats another thing. How do I get my entire collection off the carts(or transfer copied data that is on the carts or whatever process is used to do this) onto the flash cart???

Also, will I be able to play online on the games I have backed up on the flash cart??? Like say, if I wanna go on Wifi on Pokemon Black/White/HGSS/DPPt(you get the idea)

I know I had another question, but I forgot what it was....I'll post it later if I think of it.

In the meantime, thanks in advance for quick, helpful replies!!!!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:
I have a few questions about that article/thread you posted.

•Q - Where can I download ROMs?
A - It is illegal in most countries (including the US) to download ROMs off the internet, even if you own the game. You are only allowed to back up your own games.

Where CAN I DL ROMs??? I know its a illegal, but I have a HUGE legit, on-cart collection I plan to back up as files on the flash cart, and only a few I want to DL without owning them, mainly because I can't find them, or they are fan-translated ROMs(such as FE6) Is there somewhere on this site, or somewhere I can look for good copies that will run well???Does not matter if you own the game, downloading it is illegal.
It is legal to MAKE YOUR OWN backups, but not to download them.

And it doesn't really matter, because it's STILL against the forum rules.

aldent8807 said:
And thats another thing. How do I get my entire collection off the carts(or transfer copied data that is on the carts or whatever process is used to do this) onto the flash cart???Use a ROM dumper app...
Look for NDS Backup Tool FTPd or Wooddumper.

QUOTE(aldent8807 @ Mar 20 2011, 09:13 PM)
Also, will I be able to play online on the games I have backed up on the flash cart??? Like say, if I wanna go on Wifi on Pokemon Black/White/HGSS/DPPt(you get the idea)
Mostly depends on your card and how updated it is (to counteract the AntiPiracy), but generally the answer is "Yes".

aldent8807

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm....just saw this....

•WiFi
◦PROS
■Only needs a Slot-1 card.
◦CONS
■Needs WiFi set up to let the DS connect, which isn't always possible.
■Needs you to run a server program on your computer, which might mean you need to dig around in your firewall settings.
■Slow transfer speeds (hours for the larger games).
■Will not work on a DSi/XL.
■Does not work with any DSi games.
-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a DSiXL.....What am I supposed to do??? This pretty much puts me between a rock and a hard place on carrying my collection all with me.....What am I supposed to do about this??? I'll be using a Supercard 2, if it makes any difference(plan on ordering it tonight online, so it'll be awhile before it comes in the mail)

EDIT: Looked into the iEvolution, might be getting one of those instead of a Supercard 2. Will anything change in terms of what I can or cannot install or dump or DL???

Thanks in advance!!!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aldent8807 said:
Ummm....just saw this....

•WiFi
?PROS
?Only needs a Slot-1 card.
?CONS
?Needs WiFi set up to let the DS connect, which isn't always possible.
?Needs you to run a server program on your computer, which might mean you need to dig around in your firewall settings.
?Slow transfer speeds (hours for the larger games).
?Will not work on a DSi/XL.
?Does not work with any DSi games.
-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a DSiXL.....What am I supposed to do??? This pretty much puts me between a rock and a hard place on carrying my collection all with me.....What am I supposed to do about this??? I'll be using a Supercard 2, if it makes any difference(plan on ordering it tonight online, so it'll be awhile before it comes in the mail)That sounds like the NDS Backup Tool WiFi, use the FTPd version (the DS becomes the server, so you don't have to set it up)

QUOTE(aldent8807 @ Mar 20 2011, 09:40 PM) EDIT: Looked into the iEvolution, might be getting one of those instead of a Supercard 2. Will anything change in terms of what I can or cannot install or dump or DL???

Thanks in advance!!!
iEvolution runs in DSi mode
SuperCard DSTwo has onboard CPUs which are used for GBA and (better) SNES emulation as well as some other utilities.

Beyond that they should be about the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol