Gaming too many tennis games, whats the best?

madeirabhoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
seems to be about a dozen tennis games for the wii and at least 3 brand new ones. the review sites seem to all show different ones as being the best. Has anyone tried them all and got a firm favourite?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA Grand Slam is pretty good, not great (not played with motion+ yet) but its the best one on the Wii so far. The rest are pretty mediorcre, not counting Wii Sports Tennis though.

Probably best to wait for Virtua Tennis, and see what people think of that.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say that the reviews tend to differ due to some reviewers being good at the game and some being a bit pants. Grand Slam Tennis has been given 85% by IGN saying it's the best tennis game he's ever played. Eurogamer gave it 50% so I'm guessing the reviewer was just crap at playing it lol
laugh.gif

Virtua Tennis has 3 reviews at the moment with the scores being 75, 81 and 88.

Just download them both and see for yourself I guess, that's what I'm going to do. A few Wii games have been harshly marked in the past because the reviewers haven't got used to not using dual analog sticks lol. I've disagreed with a few reviewers and their scores because I've gotten used to the remote and nunchuck. In fact, I now prefer it.
smile.gif

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
from what i have seen GST looks pretty acurate if you use motion plus with it...
but mario power tennis is quite fun if you never played the GCN version.

D

Deleted User

& still no one know which is better just random thoughts & opinions someone needs to play both for 24 hours each then give a review.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Grand Slam Tennis is a better game by far, although there is a steep learning curve. Once you get over the learning curve it's a realistic tennis game. If you want more realism then go for Grand Slam Tennis, if you want more of an arcade game experience then go for Virtua Tennis. Now that I've got the hang of Grand Slam Tennis I'm unlikely to play Virtua Tennis, it's that much better.

Eurogamer are re-reviewing the game after finding out that their test kit didn't have an up-to-date firmware and as a result the MotionPlus wasn't as responsive. Sounds like bollocks to me, but apparently EA Sports weren't involved in a request for another review. I personally think it was as I suggested above, the reviewer was just crap at the game lol. They're going to test it again, a retail version on a retail Wii. If it doesn't score higher than Virtua Tennis I'll be very surprised.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WitoRIT92 said:
& still no one know which is better just random thoughts & opinions someone needs to play both for 24 hours each then give a review.

Are you fucking kidding me? In other news, people still wont agree whether Grape or Strawberry jelly is best in a peanut better and jelly sandwich.

Of course reviews differ. It's called an opinion guy. Ask me which tennis game starts with a G, i'll give you a definitive answer.

D

Deleted User

Ossot said:
WitoRIT92 said:

Are you fucking kidding me? In other news, people still wont agree whether Grape or Strawberry jelly is best in a peanut better and jelly sandwich.

Of course reviews differ. It's called an opinion guy. Ask me which tennis game starts with a G, i'll give you a definitive answer.
yea i know, thats why im going to down them both.

oh also what is your opinion ?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play GST. But, to be fair, I only tried VT09 for a few minutes. I didn't realize that you had to manually set the option to use M+ before the match. I deleted the copy and the iso before finding out. I'm to lazy to re-"back it up". Had I known VT09 may have been better, but I honestly don't see myself playing either enough to care.

GST can be a bastard on a few occasions. Even if you play it for hours and know how to keep it calibrated, there is still an occasion here 'n there where things just go completely out of whack and you just have to cross you fingers, wish real hard, and exaggerate your motions to compensate for the calibration being maligned.

I also find the "career" mode of GST to be extremely lacking. You do little challenges and unlock gear. The gear is purely aesthetic, and it doesnt even cost money. You just pick what you want your guy to look like. Advancing just means unlocking a new hat with a different logo. That's all. Other than the occasional M+ fuck up, which I can live with, this for me was the most disappointing feature.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can't decide, buy them all from EB Games/ Gamestop (I'm from Australia), and I think they've got a money back guarantee if you don't like it for under a week. Choose the one you want or copy them all to a hardrive or usb for the USB Loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Now its being detected as 2mb lol