cfigueiredo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, for us in the southern hemisphere it is certainly not the longest night of the year
tongue.gif

Perhaps it is the longest day
wink.gif

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Really?, our longest night is called the Night of San Juan (don't ask me who is he, 'cause I don't know) and it is on June 21, we eat Hot Dogs that day, we used to set small fires but the Government prohibited it early 90s.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's the longest night in the northern hemisphere, shortest night (longest day) in the southern hemisphere. It's the other way around on June 21.

It's actually the historical reason why Christmas is on Dec 25. The Holy Roman Empire, in its attempt to convert the barbarians in the north (northern Europe, from Germany northward) took the winter solstice celebration and essentially overlaid the birth of Jesus onto that date (even though Jesus almost certainly was not born in December according to current research). That's why there are so crazy many pagan rituals still associated with Christmas (the lighting of a tree, for instance). The date is off by a few days probable due to a mis-calculation when the holiday appropriation occurred.

I voted yes, only because the spirit of this holiday is part of my winter celebration, even though I am an Athiest (the Winter Solstice is, after all, a naturally occurring event worth celebration in that sense).

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of it..
tongue.gif

Can't really celebrate it.. My Grandparents are in a different country.

I only have my Grandma left.. All my other Grandparents died.
frown.gif

~Nero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up