Hacking To buy Soldering Equipment.

tota1ecl1pse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered the wiiKey.. and waiting to come to my House... I am wondering... that if there is soldering equipment for decent price and has small enough tip to do it yourself?

How Thick the lines (connecting things) have to be? anything small is ok?

After Purchasing the Soldering Equipment... is there certain brand name recommanded to melt to connect lines between wiikey and Wii?

Is this All you need to open the wii?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1e-49-en-70-1fe.html

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
get the thinnest tip you can find. thinnest in australia ive seen is 0.3mm. they might have thinner tips in states. the thinner, the better

Soybomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's an excellent post on soldering at the top of the page talking about what to use to solder including parts that should be readily available at your local radio shack.

HelloKitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They sell all you need at Radio Shack..
I believe the soldering iron is abour 10.00
and the fine tip is .99 cents.
You can also file the tip down I believe.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
when you file down tips the life span is dramatically reduced. my electronics teacher said about 3 more uses to around 10 if your lucky. if u plan to solder once for the wii its okay

ps2.au

Trophies
XP
Country
hello, The Last Spartan

i saw the movie " 300 " today, mad movie! and it is free(advance screening), LOL

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah i saw the movie last night and i thought it was the best movie ever--i think it topped lord of the rings.
you can find dis at radio shak
50ft red insulated wrapping wire [30awg]-3.99
5 piece soldering iron-7.99
rosin core solder .15 diameter-3.99
30awg 3.99
wiikey- priceless

cbass98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i saw the movie last night and i thought it was the best movie ever--i think it topped lord of the rings.
you can find dis at radio shak
50ft red insulated wrapping wire [30awg]-3.99
5 piece soldering iron-7.99
rosin core solder .15 diameter-3.99
30awg 3.99
wiikey- priceless

Hey Draco, thanks for the list. However, people keep mentioning "flux," and I'm not quite sure what that is. Do I have to buy that too or is it included already in your list? Thanks

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for wii modding you wont need any flux, very small amount of solder if you even need any, all you really need is

soldering iron
30awg wire
solder

if your doing quicksolder then you just need
soldering iron
solder

also rosin core means it has flux in the center

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no problem any time cbass--i have a nice picture guide to wii wiikey modding bookmared on my wii that shows you how to apply flux to your iron brb gonna get da link 4 u bro

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok its--wiikey install/review guide look to the right and click on the wiikey review it goes in depth the use of flux
lemme know if u need more info ime here to help
wink.gif

cbass98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question for you guys - someone was saying the Radio Shack solder kit, which comes with a 30w soldering iron, is too hot, and that I should get the 15 watt [standalone] instead. Is this what you guys reco too?

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question for you guys - someone was saying the Radio Shack solder kit, which comes with a 30w soldering iron, is too hot, and that I should get the 15 watt [standalone] instead. Is this what you guys reco too?

Keep in mind the 15 watt iron has a finer tip also. Compare the replacement tips in the store and you'll see.

pooface

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap soldering iron in the UK?

I've checked out Maplins who have a 15W iron but I don't really like the company as they're generally expensive. Cheap 15W iron is £15 ($30).

I've seen the online places but there's a £5 delivery on most of them.

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dunno about the uk ill do some research, but for your problem cbass 30w is way to hot. the kit that i ws talking about ix a nice 15 watt pencil tip iron if ued like ill provide a link for a cheap 15w

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if ur planning on doin 1 or 2 wii's and thats it, buy a cheapy off ebay for like £7, if your planning to use it alot, ur better off buying the more expensive 1 in the long run

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
15 or 30 watts, radioshack has a dual temp soldering iron for $11 Radioshack 15/30 watt iron

30 watt is strong but isnt too strong i dont think, just dont jab the board with the soldering iron trying to band it. lightly touch it and work quickly, i think even a high power butane soldering iron can do the job if done right

even 40/60 watts is fine if you know how to solder, but get lowest one you can find for starters

*Edit*
also PB free leads are hard to work with using lower watt soldering iron, so try leaded type if you can for easy workmanship i say, anyhow whats a little lead fumes compared to a dead wii
tongue.gif
(i can say my future is grim from all the fumes i inhaled)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone