Hacking tmbinc "Scope pr0n"

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://debugmo.de/2010/07/scope-pr0n/

A screen dump from an oscilloscope showing the laser mark from a Datel disc.

BUT, it's not a real laser mark...instead it's actually embedded in the datastream
unsure.gif

Either you're reading and this and thinking...so...and..what ?
Or you're guessing this is how Datel boot their disc on umoddified consoles.

I myself can't see this advancing fast, but surely it's a breakthrough and we should all be excited, this could intheory lead to...well you know
tongue.gif

Thoughts ?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would possibly allow easier GC piracy. Do GC action replays work on virgin Wiis after 3.2?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight, datel's discs are not official retail discs which generally should require a modchip to read. Instead Datel has modified the data on the disc so that in a way somewhat emulates a retail disc thus allowing it to be played on unmodified consoles? I have never in my life used any of the tools or had any experience in this, this is just a guess based on current evidence I have seen in the last 10 seconds.

og style

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maby I am wrong here but in the comments on the page it says something about it being a PS3 and not a Wii.

This is the Wii section.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
og style said:
Maby I am wrong here but in the comments on the page it says something about it being a PS3 and not a Wii.

This is the Wii section.

Even if it is for the PS3, I would guess there is some relevance ties in with the wii.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
og style said:

This is the Wii section.

read again? the ps3 part was just his guess.

He also confirmed it was a GC disk, and Datel. so I guess that the Wii section in appropriate enough.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FYI, the GC and Wii disc stuff is the same, Datel's reverse engineering of GC is what allowed them to make Freeloader. If a disc is correctly signed, and encrypted properly or whatever this is referring to (don't know quite the right term), it'll play fine on an unmodified Wii. Only reason Freeloader stopped working on Wii is because it used Trucha Bug.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
FYI, the GC and Wii disc stuff is the same, Datel's reverse engineering of GC is what allowed them to make Freeloader. If a disc is correctly signed, and encrypted properly or whatever this is referring to (don't know quite the right term), it'll play fine on an unmodified Wii. Only reason Freeloader stopped working on Wii is because it used Trucha Bug.

I can't remember for sure but I think they also added some checks of the disc header, the only reason I think this is because I used to have a backup of an AR disc and it had some random game header. When I had used a backup of a 1:1 AR disc on a chipped 3.2+ Wii it failed, although the swapped header image worked. Can't really remember now all this time later and I don't have them anymore so can't have a peek.

Actually, to support that they were also reading the header you could argue why did Datel put that message in Datel's SD Media Launcher (latest disc release):

Media Launcher Disc HeaderPlease do not exclude us from future revisions of the Wii firmware..............
If you could reinstate our prevoius products itwould be a greathelp...........
Many thanks.....
Best Regards....
All at Datel....

But that's a bit offtopic, funny though
tongue.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't help but bump this...

omg is no one interested ?

You guys n gals do know who tmbinc is don't you ?

He's the guy that did the "Original" tweezer hack and well it led to... other things ....

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm really intrested. Problem is that I have really no programming experience. Else I would want to reverse one of these discs.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm I guess this could make modchips useless and even pla burned discs on D3-2 drives.
Only question is if this would work with consumer burners or only chinese pirate copies...

And ofcourse Nintendo will check for the code in the datastream in upcoming games and/or system menus, so this will break sooner or later...

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aren't you guys forgetting something? Like the BCA, the DMI, the custom sector layout ?

What tmbinc figured out won't allow you to play burned discs on your Wii/GC.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SanGor said:
Like the BCA
This seems to simulate the BCA inside the data stream.
But like I said I don't know if this could work with consumer burners. But it will certainly lead to chinese knockoffs that run without a chip sooner or later.
Consumer burners would definatly need a custom firmware if it's possible at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE