Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Dom't forget Point Blank. Virtua Cop. Err... I'm sure there were others...
Don't forget Gunblade, that game is FUN~...
laugh.gif

AnTi-WaR

those who make mistakes blame themselves and close
Trophies
Website
emuxhaven.net
XP
Country

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to say this in every pinball thread: Kirby's Pinball Land.

But yeah more light-gun games please Sega... still waiting for PS2 ports of House of the Dead 1-3 and Virtua Cop 3 at the very least... why Sega are releasing these games for a console which has had no popularity in lightgun games and essentially no market whatsoever is beyond me. Yes the games can be that little bit more identical to the arcade versions but HOTD3 could easily be handled on the PS2 IMO and the main point is that these game, even if they were inferior ports, would actually sell a reasonable amount.
Still, after saying that'd choose the arcade versions over the console version of HOTD 3 any day, nothing can beat pump action shotguns (I swear these were released for the Xbox in really limited quantities at an insane price tag... was I dreaming?).

smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dais

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I really think lightgun games are going the way of the dodo.

Name a single video game genre that has gone extinct.
Pure text adventure games are kinda dead and pure text RPG's. VR games are dead too, not seen any new oes of those in the arcades.

Point and click adventure games ---> still being made, they're just more underground now
Pure text adventure games -> the interactive fiction community is thriving, perhaps more than ever
Pure text RPGS --> Plenty of MUDs still around.
VR games ---> I'll give you that one for now, but I doubt the genre is truly dead.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I really think lightgun games are going the way of the dodo.

Name a single video game genre that has gone extinct.

Pure text adventure games are kinda dead and pure text RPG's. VR games are dead too, not seen any new oes of those in the arcades.

Point and click adventure games ---> still being made, they're just more underground now
Pure text adventure games -> the interactive fiction community is thriving, perhaps more than ever
Pure text RPGS --> Plenty of MUDs still around.
VR games ---> I'll give you that one for now, but I doubt the genre is truly dead.
I meant dead in the mainstream.

ianz

Trophies
XP
Country
I recommer this game, and *cough*buy*cough* house of the dead pc games there fun
wink.gif

played out all of them and liked house of the dead 2 the best (more reply value)

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just meant that lightgun games have been in decline for some time, from the hayday of Time Crisis 2, and when arcades tended to have three or four different lightgun games.

As for dead video game genres, sure it's practically impossible to name a genre that has truely died, but a few games over the years is anything but a thriving video game genre.

Also let it be known, I love lightgun games, Time Crisis 2 and Crisis Zone are some of my favorite arcade games of all time, just it would seem to me that the genre has sort of lost it's luster.

I tend not to buy lightgun peripherals only because I know there'll be a serious lack of content, especially content I haven't already beaten. (When there is only a handful of titles it doesn't take long to exhaust your supply.)

So in the end, I consider the lightgun game to be a dying breed, because if it was something that really interested the public, more developers would love to cash in and try to make some, and right now you get a few games from time to time. (Practically every other genre gets games at a more constant pace...even music games)

Though I hope lightgun games return! (And arcades...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NicoXChan, welcome