Tired of the DLC-culture!

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I agree with you. The DLC thing has and is still being overdone.

However, I think the examples you gave are poor ones. Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands are already amazing games, even before DLC, not to mention complete. That's the key word here. Complete.

What I really dislike are games that are released half finished, or content that should have been in the original game are intentionally left out, and DLC costing quarter to half as much as the base game is released, completing the experience. I refuse to buy games that practice this. I refuse to pay $75+ just to play a game that "feels" complete.

Reactions: ouch123

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC comes in multiple forms. I most likely am missing some.
Preorder DLC can be bad when they have multiple bonuses from multiple retailers but generally Gamestop has any additional missions and you usually don't need the bonuses to beat the game. It can be a real pain when this DLC isn't purchasable. Ex. Tomb Raider Underworld
Disc Locked Content is just bad in general since it should be given to you already.
Cosmetic DLC isn't really that important.
PtW DLC Console games in general aren't pay to win so you don't have to buy the weapon packs etc.
Expansion pack DLC is probably the best form of DLC. It increases play time and sometimes adds some fun new mechanics to use.
Online passes can be a pain but you can avoid this by buying the game new.

Reactions: Rasas

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am a gamer soon pushing 30 years. Been a gamer since I was 4-5 years old. It all started off with a NES and all that...=) I won´t consider me a "hardcore" gamer nowadays. But I play on my systems when I have the time and feeling for it.

Lately, there have been one thing disturbing me more than anything, and it´s the DLC-culture, or the microtransaction-culture, and what it´s doing to us gamers. It seems that a lot of the new games being released are not complete. They are just half-assed. I have had this feeling and it feels like paying full price for a frickin´ shareware game! I have been seriously disappointed by Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands in this aspect.

It could be simple that I´m getting too old and stingy here, and I understand that it´s all about the money. But when I buy a game, I want the complete thing. Of course, I admit that there are good things about DLC. Look at Skyrim and Fallout NV for example, they have HUGE playing value in their original state, and the DLC really adds to it in a good way. But look at Fable 3 costumes for example. It´s ridiculous that they just didn´t include them in the original game. There are more examples. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I'd say Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands are bad examples to use. Mainly because they still offer you 20-30+ Hours of gameplay and story telling. It feels as if DLC isn't needed. But I wouldn't worry too much about DLC, as I'd worry more about ULC (Unlockable Content). Seriously, making us pay for something that's already on the disc.... just... wow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: