Three biggest dept stores in Australia won't stock Vita (for now)

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
In an afternoon of bomb dropping worthy of Lord Iwata himself, acclaimed GAF Fellow VOOK has revealed that Big W, Kmart and Target - three of the biggest chains of department stores across Australia - will not be stocking Sony's Vita.

vookta.jpg

The story first broke that Big W would not be stocking Sony's new system at launch, hoping to eventually try and stock the handheld, but news soon emerged that neither Target nor Kmart would be carrying the Vita.

Reactions: 3 people

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather large blow to Australia. Of course, they'll still be able to find Vitas somewhere else :P

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be more worried about the Vita at this point instead of AU. It just can't seem to catch a single break. Doing terrible in Japan, having stocking issues in Australia...what else can happen to it at this point?

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

On topic though, since when did Australia ever got any launch ever on-schedule? The Vita will hit their shores in due-time, don't you worry. The chain stores would be complete idiots NOT to stock the units, perhaps it's some sort of a misunderstanding on the Sony-Chain Stores line as per usual.

Also, do we really need a Nintendo reference in every single Sony-related thread? They're two separate companies that deal with two very different approaches towards gaming.

Reactions: 5 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Calm down, hear what he has to say first.

On topic though, since when did Australia ever get any launch ever on-schedule? The Vita will hit their shores in due-time, don't you worry. The chain stores would be complete idiots NOT to stock the units, perhaps it's some sort of a misunderstanding on the Sony-Chain Stores line as per usual.
Pretty much the case. And yes, they'll be idiots if they don't sell it.

*checks Singapore stores*

Wow. Only the 3G version is left. (no sarcasm, I'm serious)

Also, do we really need a Nintendo reference in every single Sony-related thread? They're two separate companies that deal with two very different approaches towards gaming.
Perhaps partly got to do with the source?

Reactions: 5 people

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
Not only Australian vendors are refusing to stock it, PS Vita struggling to sell in Japan for yet another week. Sales report is out: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40331/PS_Vita_sales_hit_an_alltime_low_in_Japan_despite_strong_debut_for_Gravity_Rush.php

Sure, the vendors in Australia won't come out and blatantly tell the public that they are scared of lower sales in Japan and so they won't stock it, they had to come up with a better excuse so as to keep PS Vita's reputation from damaging further. It seems that PS Vita has some very tough times ahead.... I don't think that even a price cut will help anymore. Perhaps Sony could cut down on heavy losses if they stop the production of PS Vita soon enough, just as what they did for PSP Go. They should withdraw themselves from Handheld Market, I think their time is up.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not only Australian vendors are refusing to stock it, PS Vita struggling to sell in Japan for yet another week. Sales report is out: http://www.gamasutra...ravity_Rush.php

Sure, the vendors in Australia won't come out and blatantly tell the public that they are scared of lower sales in Japan and so they won't stock it, they had to come up with a better excuse so as to keep PS Vita's reputation from damaging further. It seems that PS Vita has some very tough times ahead.... I don't think that even a price cut will help anymore. Perhaps Sony could cut down on heavy losses if they stop the production of PS Vita soon enough, just as what they did for PSP Go. They should withdraw themselves from Handheld Market, I think their time is up.

lol..fanboy logic :lol:
silly little kids always think their opinion is fact

Reactions: 1 person

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Not only Australian vendors are refusing to stock it, PS Vita struggling to sell in Japan for yet another week. Sales report is out: http://www.gamasutra...ravity_Rush.php

I think is too soon to say that at least lets wait for its first two weeks(After Feb/22). I wish the Vita do well in US. If SONY retires from handheld market I will too.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Historically, Australian hardware launches are within a month or two of international releases. Sometimes a bit longer, like 4 months for ps3 and 6 months for psp. Since about 1999, most hardware launches have been reasonably close to American dates.
It's the first time that an AUS retailer, let alone 3, not stock a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo system except for Harvey Norman with the Wii. And they soon changed their tune.

EDIT: EB Games doesn't stock PSP Go, either.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
JB Hifi was smart enough to announce they'll only stock wifi but we're getting 3g and wifi in at work (dick smith) so i'm thinking we'll have quite a few hard to sell 3g models laying around in the back room for quite a while :|

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh hey Nintendo fanboy reading something incorrectly.
Consider me shocked.

No where did it say they "refused" to sell it. No one's scared of the Japan sales unless they're morons who don't understand the difference between markets. No one knows how well it'll do. The fact it isn't doing well in japan really means squat.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Consider me shocked.

No where did it say they "refused" to sell it. No one's scared of the Japan sales unless they're morons who don't understand the difference between markets. No one knows how well it'll do. The fact it isn't doing well in japan really means squat.
I wouldn't say it's doing "terribly" to be honest. Look at the PS3 case. The console started really slow world-wide and look at it now? Everybody and their dog has a PS3 and it doesn't seem like its sales will go down anytime soon, at least not before the NextBox/WiiU is released.

Rest assured, the Vita sales will gradually rise alongside the extension of its game library.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say it's doing "terribly" to be honest. Look at the PS3 case. The console started really slow world-wide and look at it now? Everybody and their dog has a PS3 and it doesn't seem like its sales will go down anytime soon, at least not before the NextBox/WiiU is released.

Rest assured, the Vita sales will gradually rise alongside the extension of its game library.
This by a lot. I used to always bash the PS3 with my friends, now I'm a proud owner of one and definitely don't regret it.

EDIT: And I'm sure I'll bash the Vita as well, as I don't have plans to get one anytime soon so I won't get to actually experience the console. I think that's the real issue with fanboys, they refuse to even try the console they "hate" and give off excuses that "I already know it sucks! Hoopity floopity bloopity!" Once I get a Vita though I'll probably play the shit out of it, or at least use it every once in a while.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Consider me shocked.

Yep, xbox sales in japan sucks and it's the best selling console this year.

------------------------------------------------

Moronic comments by Antoligy staff adds nothing but fuel to flame. Nice way to dumb down the forum. Didn't think it could be dumb down anymore with all these deluded nintendo fanboys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a +1