This is a plus now?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's the reason why silent characters must remain silent. If they ever get Link to speak, it'll be the downfall of the series.
A silent protagonist is a scriptwriting device allowing the player to identify with the character. The problem being that it only really works when the player is given the freedom to do whatever he or she wants, and that is not given to the player in the Zelda series. For all intents and purposes, Link has no voice only because it's tradition.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo has a huge problem with its franchises - their own fans. Even if they ever wanted to introduce some major overhaul or reboot, legions of Nintentards would rise yelling "This goes againts my nostalgia!" and shoot down whatever effort is made.

Other M as a game offered everything a Metroid fan would want from the franchise. 2D side-scrolling segments? Check. FPP segments? Check. Ball-rolling puzzles? Check. Intense combat? Check. Exploration for hidden items? Check.

The only reason why anyone would whine about it was because they found Samus's role to be over-sexualized and "too frail", with the first point I don't necessarily agree - the ending scenes from Metroid were all orbiting around the idea that Samus is a woman and you get to see more of her femininity if you finish the game quicker and with more achievements - how is that not over-sexualized?

FDemd.jpg

You would have to be, what, 5 years old not to understand that Nintendo had the exact same idea about Samus as Team Ninja did. As for the frailty of the character, I was not appaled by it - I welcomed it with open arms. Finally someone didn't try to picture her like a tank with boobs, and I have the same approach towards the new Tomb Raider.

Sure, they focused too much on the baby Metroid, but they offered a new and unique look at Samus - they showed that she in fact has (well, had) people she deeply cared for and she's only a cold bitch now because she lost them in unfavourable circumstances.

Another heated debate is about her unhealthy relationship with Adam, restricting her from using her full gear from the start. Let me get this straight - it is a bit unhealthy, but it's merely a framing device. The Bottle Ship was not of Chozo origin, in fact, it had nothing to do whatsoever with the Chozo, they were simply never there. It's only natural not to expect Chozo artifacts there. That, and she was originally Adam's underling, so for the sake of her team, she showed him respect not to lower morale. Would it be better if she, for example, crashed into the Bottleship and merely broke some parts of the suit and then had to repair them in crucial pearts of the game? It probably would. Would the fans still "hate" the game? Sure, they would, because it was different, and despite that, had a lot in common with the previous ones.

All in all, Other M, to me, is an incredibly well-made game, but you won't enjoy it if you don't drop the fanboyish perspective, refusing to play it for what it is. I had a blast playing it - others can say whatever they want.

D

Deleted_171835

Even if they ever wanted to introduce some major overhaul or reboot, legions of Nintentards would rise yelling "This goes againts my nostalgia!" and shoot down whatever effort is made.
Someone clearly hasn't played Kid Icarus: Uprising.

And people didn't hate Other M because it gave us a "new and unique" look at Samus. They hated it because the story and dialogue was complete shit.

D

Deleted_171835

Kid Icarus had no cult following outside of a few zelaous old school fans - nobody would even know who Pit was if not for the Smash Bros. series which featured his as a trophy.
Metroid Prime being a first-person Metroid game.

Zelda: Wind Waker being a fully cell-shaded Zelda game unlike the previous 3D games and Spaceworld Demo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Metroid Prime being a first-person Metroid game.

Zelda: Wind Waker being a fully cell-shaded Zelda game unlike the previous 3D games and Spaceworld Demo.
Not sure what you're trying to prove here - that Nintendo does re-invent their series? Because I approve of doing that (to an extent that makes sense, of course), that's actually what I was saying.

You don't have to zelaously defend Nintendo every single time someone speaks of it in a way you find offensive - there are always exceptions from rules and that's my whole point - game development should be risky and Nintendo should take chances like they did with Metroid Prime - they changed the core formula and they got a critically-acclaimed game that reached perfect scores according to numerous critics. The fanbase is often a huge handbreak on them and they should care less because more often than not, they're perfectly capable of coming up with something great.

By the way, Zelda: Wind Waker was not received well at the time of its release, we actually spoke of that earlier.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
D

Deleted_171835

Not sure what you're trying to prove here - that Nintendo does re-invent their series? Because I approve of doing that (to an extent that makes sense, of course), that's actually what I was saying.

You don't have to zelaously defend Nintendo every single time someone speaks of it in a way you find offensive - there are always exceptions from rules and that's my whole point - game development should be risky and Nintendo should take chances like they did with Metroid Prime - they changed the core formula and they got a critically-acclaimed game that reached perfect scores according to numerous critics. The fanbase is often a huge handbreak on them and they should care less because more often than not, they're perfectly capable of coming up with something great.

By the way, Zelda: Wind Waker was not received well at the time of its release, we actually spoke of that earlier.
Woah woah, resorting to personal attacks now, are we?

Oh and Zelda: Wind Waker was well-received at launch. There's a reason it has a 96% Metacritic Score and almost perfect scores from review outlets at the time. The only people who hated the game were pissy fanboys who hated the fact that it was cell-shaded.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know a single person who liked Wind Waker at launch, and it wasn't a personal attack as much as it was an observation - that's just your usual reaction, or so I see it.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The original Kid Icarus is a fucking awful game.

Just saying. There's a reason Uprising is completely different.
I would say that NES Kid Icarus is ridiculously hard, but not a bad game by any means. In fact, it's one of the small handful of NES games I can actually stand to play for more than 5 minutes.

Hard = bad game... I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread doesn't belong in the EOF.

Furthermore, I have no idea what people you hang with Foxi4 but most people in my circle go batshit crazy over anything Zelda. Especially Wind Waker.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This thread doesn't belong in the EOF.

Furthermore, I have no idea what people you hang with Foxi4 but most people in my circle go batshit crazy over anything Zelda. Especially Wind Waker.
I really don't understand where people get this "Wind Waker was poorly received on launch" stuff from. The cel-shaded art style received initial backlash from the mainstream fanbase, and continued backlash from a very vocal minority in the fanbase further on, but it got amazing professional reviews overall.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't understand where people get this "Wind Waker was poorly received on launch" stuff from. The cel-shaded art style received initial backlash from the mainstream fanbase, and continued backlash from a very vocal minority in the fanbase further on, but it got amazing professional reviews overall.

I think he may mean overhyped. As quite a few Nintendo franchises are.

Hyro-Sama

Trophies
XP
Country
He wasn't saying it was overhyped, he was saying that people generally hated it.

I know what Foxi said. I'm just trying to clarify what he may have actually meant. Wind Waker is one of the most highly regarded Zelda and GameCube games so I'm having as much trouble comprehending his statement just has much as you are.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
That's the reason why silent characters must remain silent. If they ever get Link to speak, it'll be the downfall of the series.

Oh, Link speaks. Just that no one understand him but a select few. And with that I say to you:

Kyaaaaa! Heiiii! Hya! Hup! Gyaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know what Foxi said. I'm just trying to clarify what he may have actually meant. Wind Waker is one of the most highly regarded Zelda and GameCube games so I'm having as much trouble comprehending his statement just has much as you are.
I know what I said Hyro, I said that the game is poo because it looks like poo, and frankly, the whole concept of animate boats and later trains smells of Thomas the Tank. The art design is nothing like Zelda, or even nothing you would expect of Zelda. Parts of the N64 games did use similar shading, but due to technological constraints, not as a statement. I sincerely despise everything this art style represents and I was quite serious when I said that I don't know a single human being who doesn't. I also reserve my right to listen to the "vocal part of the fanbase" because apparently they're still able to say that they don't like something rather than just deal with it because "hey, it's Zelda, love it". As for the so-called "professional opinions of game critics" - lol@gamecritics, that's probably the worst occupation on the planet. Years of studying the opinions of those professionals lead me to believe that they usually don't know what they're talking about and their degree of professionalism is equivalent to that of your average gamestop employee.

All in all, I think it's poo, everybody I know thinks its poo, people on internet forums at the time of its release thought it's poo and my opinion remains unshaken. Perhaps it's great in comparison to the other titles on the Gamecube and that gave it the legendary status, but for my environmental puzzles, I will direct myself to the nearest Soul Reaver and proceed to laugh at your beloved cardboard characters.

Seeing that it comes so highly recommended by the local Zelda fans, I just may give it a go, but I doubt that I'm going to enjoy it in the slightest - to me, Wind Waker is the point where part of the series just went horribly wrong and confused about its own identity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)