Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
What do you consider retro? What point is new and what point is retro?
I like to think that, when there's a console they released at least 15-20 years ago AND when it's hard to find a good/new unit to buy for a proper price, THEN is considered a retro one

At least for me:ph34r:
Post automatically merged:

To me, "retro" gaming stops at the 16-bit era. The 32-bit and 64-bit generation (Saturn, PS1, N64) to me is not and never will be considered "retro gaming". These consoles that focus on polygon rendering vs 2D sprite rendering just don't scream oldschool for me.
Maybe it's because you lived a significant part of your life with these 3D rendering consoles.

Going the way, is curious to think that future generations will look to the consoles is our time and consider it a full retro

salazarcosplay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii emulates retro hardware and now the Wii itself is arguably retro.
By this I would argue the Wii U is also retro. Since you have everything unified in one system.
When I used to think of retro game systems. I thought you instert the game/cartidge and you just play. Games did not have to install. You also used analog connectors red/white/yellow and component.

I think the Wii U was the last retro console because it was a upgraded wii, yet it did not fully get into the online experience that you see with the switch. It was kinda like in between.

I think the modern era started when consoles started resembling pc's more.

The PS2 had a Hardrive bay that was not really widespread in use. The Xbox had a hard drive, nut it was not for big installs and was used for saves, and to make it more convenient, and some xbox live content.

I think the modern era really began with PS3/360. HD graphics became a norm. Online gameplay became a standard, you even had a free to play online game like Fortnite come about.

Full downloaded online games could be purchased. Fortnite and GTA V got their start. Also where we started to see a hard drive be a necessity for the game to install. Not all the games in the beginning.

Reactions: Flame

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The PS2 had a Hardrive bay that was not really widespread in use.
The PS2 didn't have a hard drive built-in, but they had a HDD adapter that adapts to a single IDE drive. They weren't that popular, but was used for online and PS2 Linux.

Softmodding is the go-to for these.

Reactions: CoolMe and Flame

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I would consider a console to be Retro when it's been 5 years past it's initial support ended. For instance, despite the Switch, Xbox One, and PS4 have been living since the 2010s, they aren't retro consoles because they're still being manufactured to this day.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the ps3 is still getting "stability updates" I will think it will keep getting them for as long as ps3s are allowed to go into psn to sync trophies
Stability updates my ass. They're only there to block custom firmware.

Reactions: BakerMan

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
the ps3 is still getting "stability updates" I will think it will keep getting them for as long as ps3s are allowed to go into psn to sync trophies

Stability updates my ass. They're only there to block custom firmware.
Not quite, they're not doing anything to block CFW or "increase stability". At this point, the only thing the PS3 updates are doing really is updating AACS encryption keys so newer Blu-ray movies can still be played on the PS3. Blu-ray encryption keys expire and are updated every year or so, and so Sony pushes updates out whenever new keys are available because there's still a substantial number of people who use the PS3 as just a Blu-ray player.

None of the FWs Sony has released recently for the PS3 has attempted to remove any of the exploits for running CFW, which is why most of them are updated to work on the latest FW within a couple days and it's not really a big deal.

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
For me consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 can never be retro. Anything that has an HDMI is not retro. Anything that uses nothing but analog video is retro. So the Wii is retro, but the Wii U isn't. On portables I mark the PSP and DS as the last retro ones, with Vita and 3DS not being retro.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
For me consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 can never be retro. Anything that has an HDMI is not retro. Anything that uses nothing but analog video is retro. So the Wii is retro, but the Wii U isn't. On portables I mark the PSP and DS as the last retro ones, with Vita and 3DS not being retro.

So if something new comes and replaces HDMI? Is it retro, then?

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ps3 and 360 are still going strong-ish with official support, support like the wii stopped getting 10 years ago

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
what if the nes had hdmi, but nothing else until the ps3/360 had it? would the nes not be retro?
HDMI wasn't a thing when the NES released. Aftermarket mods don't count.

Ok let me make it a bit more precise, a console is NOT retro if:
- It has 3D graphics and can output in HD via HDMI.
- It has Wifi and wireless controllers.
- It can download content form a store into internal memory (i.e. HDD or flash memory).

All of these features must be built into and a standard part of the console (though not necessarily at launch).
So basically, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U are the minimum for a NOT retro console. PS2, Wii, GC, OG Xbox, and Dreamcast are the last retro consoles.

On portables, I mark the line at Vita and 3DS being NOT retro and PSP and DS being the last retro portables.

Last edited by Acid_Snake,

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDMI wasn't a thing when the NES released. Aftermarket mods don't count.

- It can download content form a store into internal memory (i.e. HDD or flash memory).

All of these features must be built into and a standard part of the console (though not necessarily at launch).
So basically, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U are the minimum for a NOT retro console. PS2, Wii, GC, OG Xbox, and Dreamcast are the last retro consoles.

On portables, I mark the line at Vita and 3DS being NOT retro and PSP and DS being the last retro portables.
it was a hypothetical argument, ever heard of one?

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
for a long time my argument was, that if it has no 3d it is retro, ie snes, genesis, pcengine and neogeo...
but since the last game for the neogeo was published in 2004 and its uncomparable 2d power, i had to exclude it from that argument.

thinking over it, i think nowadays a console from 2 console generations ago is retro
this would make ds/lite, psp, ps3 & xbox 360 retro consoles.
not sure how the wii u fits in there, though, that i consider definitely retro

but i also accept other arguments, like a _native_ hdmi port makes a console automatically non-retro
but on the other hand, _native_ analog video means retro, right?
so wii u, ps3 and xbox360 are kinda on the brink of retro because they had both.

Reactions: CoolMe and Flame

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that we don't really have a term for what's transitioning into retro.

I think the PS2/GameCube/Xbox generation has made the full change into retro. The PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn are certainly there. The PS3, 360, and Wii are definitely in the process of becoming retro. Consoles like the PS4 and PS5 are too recent to be old.

EDIT: This post sounds more definitive than I intended. It does depend on whom you ask. The PS3/360/Wii may already be retro, but to be honest, it's whatever designations you personally feel comfortable with.

Unless you de-retroize an NES. Don't do that.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Wii is retro
The Wii has the last 2, apart from the video signal it uses (component) which is totally not ancient (the 360 had it in its first few years before MS started to include hdmi ports on new revisions) and can still look pretty good, yet it is retro but not the 360?

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: BakerMan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2