Thinking about getting a 256GB card

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 256GB with 32kb cluster size and haven't seen any problems yet, but I also back up my SD card every two weeks in case there is a problem.

Kar3burr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have a "new" 2DS XL with a 128GB card that has about 100MB free. It's actually all 3DS games, and some mods. Thing is, I wanted to get some other mods installed that will require around 15GB or so more. There wouldn't be to many new games installed, maybe 3 or 4 at the most.

Seeing how for the most part it's for game mods, would it be worth while to go ahead and upgrade to a 256GB card?
I did and have no issues. Make sure when you do that the setting is at fat32 usually 32gb and over is ext32. I bought a 256 fb off of Temu and already game in fat32 configuration.

AskingForTrouble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is well-established at this point that even with 128 GB, having too many clusters starts to cause significant problems, particularly with themes and GBA games. Some games may be affected too (though I'm not sure if there's a list of exactly which ones).
Just an fyi, this is completely dependent on the individual card. I had this issue on my 256gb Samsung EVO Plus, which was formatted to 64k clusters as recommended. When I formatted the card to 32k, the issue disappeared. The opposite happened to me on my 128gb Samsung EVO Plus, where the GBA clipping only went away when it formatted the card from 32k to 64k clusters.

So this is what I’d recommend: use 64k clusters first for loading times if on a 256gb card. Before installing all of your games and mods, test it using a CUSTOM GBA injection (the official ten roms from Nintendo never have this problem — I recommend trying a Pokémon gen III game) and see if there’s clipping in the game — you’ll see it right away. If the game plays normally, keep the card formatted at 64k. If the clipping occurs, format the card to 32k and then put all your stuff on the card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo