Thinking about getting a 256GB card

DeadOneWalking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have a "new" 2DS XL with a 128GB card that has about 100MB free. It's actually all 3DS games, and some mods. Thing is, I wanted to get some other mods installed that will require around 15GB or so more. There wouldn't be to many new games installed, maybe 3 or 4 at the most.

Seeing how for the most part it's for game mods, would it be worth while to go ahead and upgrade to a 256GB card?

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
256 GB is cheap, so most likely. Do keep in mind initial boot time will be longer as a tradeoff. I have a 256 and load time is in the vicinity of 16-20 seconds at upper extremes on cold boot.
16-20 is about as fast from a ps5 cold boot. 3ds better than ps5 confirmed? Take that sony ponies, xbots, and pc master failures!!

Reactions: G1fan

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
256 GB is cheap, so most likely. Do keep in mind initial boot time will be longer as a tradeoff. I have a 256 and load time is in the vicinity of 16-20 seconds at upper extremes on cold boot.
What brand is it? I have a Samsung and it’s nowhere near that slow..

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
What brand is it? I have a Samsung and it’s nowhere near that slow..
I don't remember, I think a Sandisk or an older Samsung model. I also have a LOT installed; which may be contributing to it.
Post automatically merged:

As long as games play without an issue, I'm not too concerned with the initial boot time if it's under a minute.
Games play fine and load times in game are speedy. Considering the 3DS is at the end of its lifecycle; it's probably worth it since I can't imagine you'd ever fill it up with much else (likely a few ROM hacks at most)

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Seeing how for the most part it's for game mods, would it be worth while to go ahead and upgrade to a 256GB card?

Look i've downloaded every type of game on my 3ds 64GB from homebrew to games dlc and content. Is not that worth it because i've downloaded some heavy games like Half Life, GTA 3, Smash, Two Ace Attorney, Kingdom Hearts, 2GB of DS games, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, VC consoles, PS1 games, Parappa, Metal Gear, FF VII, N64 games, the only thing that left for me was Dragon Quest and Xenoblade and Crash bandicoot games.

If we had at least an sd card of 70GB, i would assure that we could download all the necessary 3ds games homebrew and emulation.

Rn i'm with 600MB left, and the saves iirc are like less than 1mb

I think 128 is THE OVERKILL!!!

Reactions: Kwyjor

DeadOneWalking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would
Look i've downloaded every type of game on my 3ds 64GB from homebrew to games dlc and content. Is not that worth it because i've downloaded some heavy games like Half Life, GTA 3, Smash, Two Ace Attorney, Kingdom Hearts, 2GB of DS games, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, VC consoles, PS1 games, Parappa, Metal Gear, FF VII, N64 games, the only thing that left for me was Dragon Quest and Xenoblade and Crash bandicoot games.

If we had at least an sd card of 70GB, i would assure that we could download all the necessary 3ds games homebrew and emulation.

Rn i'm with 600MB left, and the saves iirc are like less than 1mb

I think 128 is THE OVERKILL!!!
Well, I started with a 32GB, then that got filled. Went to a 64GB, that got filled. Currently on a 128GB, that is filled. I ordered a 256GB card, and no matter what I won't be going any higher then that.

My point is that it depends on the person. I play a large variety of games, and given that I am installing game mods, it all adds up. Heck, I want to install the Dragon Quest 8 audio mod, and that alone takes up around 4.5GB.

Also, for DS games I got a R4i+ with a 16GB card. That card still has 2GB free which is more then enough for DS games.

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would

Well, I started with a 32GB, then that got filled. Went to a 64GB, that got filled. Currently on a 128GB, that is filled. I ordered a 256GB card, and no matter what I won't be going any higher then that.

My point is that it depends on the person. I play a large variety of games, and given that I am installing game mods, it all adds up. Heck, I want to install the Dragon Quest 8 audio mod, and that alone takes up around 4.5GB.

Also, for DS games I got a R4i+ with a 16GB card. That card still has 2GB free which is more then enough for DS games.
Honestly what the fuck are you downloading on the sd card lmao, HOW ON EARTH YOU FILLED 128GB????? I'M INTERESTED ON THAT "1TB of homework"

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this card for my new 2ds xl and one for my new 3ds xl and the speed and load times are fast make sure to get a card that is a V30

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By all accounts that's not going to make any difference. Read and write times are generally limited by the encrypted filesystem and not by the SD card hardware.
Fair enough but with twilight menu using a non V30 card switching pages in the menu took forever but with a V30 it switches pages instantly.

DeadOneWalking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly what the fuck are you downloading on the sd card lmao, HOW ON EARTH YOU FILLED 128GB????? I'M INTERESTED ON THAT "1TB of homework"
That was preaty easy actually, See, because I modded my system, I just dumped the cartridges I have to install them as CIA's so I don't have to swap cartridges. With that for my 3DS games, I just use a flashcart for my DS games for 100% compatibility.

I got this card for my new 2ds xl and one for my new 3ds xl and the speed and load times are fast make sure to get a card that is a V30
I just have been getting Switch branded cards. I doubt there will be any issues with those as the Switch uses higher transfer rates then the 3DS family could ever reach.
Post automatically merged:

Got everything transferred over, got what I want installed, and it only takes about 15-20 seconds to do a cold boot. This aligns with Gamemaster1379's findings, and is acceptable to me.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Last edited by DeadOneWalking,

SuicideNotes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use the kingston 256gb and to be honest its fine, menus are fine, custom themes are fine and ds games, i havent tryed gba games as i use retroarch for cheevos (2dsxl)

PigletTubeYT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have a "new" 2DS XL with a 128GB card that has about 100MB free. It's actually all 3DS games, and some mods. Thing is, I wanted to get some other mods installed that will require around 15GB or so more. There wouldn't be to many new games installed, maybe 3 or 4 at the most.

Go ahead and do it and I did it in the past BUT Set the cluster size to 64KB (65536B).

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious why you say to use 64KB clusters on a 256GB SD card? I'm guessing it's for the speed, but you're trading off space utilization in the process. I guess with 256GB, it's less of a worry than speed?

I'm not second guessing or trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious about the line of thinking on the cluster size for 256GB cards. Or is it something else that I'm missing with that recommendation?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just curious why you say to use 64KB clusters on a 256GB SD card?
It is well-established at this point that even with 128 GB, having too many clusters starts to cause significant problems, particularly with themes and GBA games. Some games may be affected too (though I'm not sure if there's a list of exactly which ones).

Reactions: anotherthing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.