Think Wii U Has Hardware Problems

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this started a few weeks ago, but my system has started shutting off with a flashing red light. I can barely hear the fan, but I'm not even sure if it's the fan that I hear from the wii u or if it's the dvr humming. I don't know if it's the fan or if the mobo needs a reflow, but it will be out of commission for a while probably. :(

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
this started a few weeks ago, but my system has started shutting off with a flashing red light. I can barely hear the fan, but I'm not even sure if it's the fan that I hear from the wii u or if it's the dvr humming. I don't know if it's the fan or if the mobo needs a reflow, but it will be out of commission for a while probably. :(
Does WiiU use thermal paste or pads? Maybe dead fan?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Somehow I fear the Wii U consoles won't last as long as the (S)NES. *Sigh*
Fan spin should be noticeable without opening. But…
that I don't know. I've never opened the system before, since there was no reason to.
…the fan is one of the easiest things to reach when starting disassembly. Wii U isn't as complex as DS or 3DS concerning hardware disassembly. You will need Triwing screwdriver or Triwing bit. As always: Have a look at ifixit.com → https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_Wii_U
Ifixit helped the only time I had to open a Wii U (got this unit very cheap and had to remove some junk a kid had pushed into the drive)

Does WiiU use thermal paste or pads? Maybe dead fan?
I guess Wii U has thermal pads.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I've mentioned this in the past, but several years ago my Wii U kept shutting off after a few minutes. It turned out a rather large spider had crawled into the fan, was crushed to death by it, and was then obstructing it from spinning. I was able to pull its corpse out with tweezers or something without having to disassemble the console. It's probably pretty far fetched, but maybe worth shining a flashlight in there to check.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know I've mentioned this in the past, but several years ago my Wii U kept shutting off after a few minutes. It turned out a rather large spider had crawled into the fan, was crushed to death by it, and was then obstructing it from spinning. I was able to pull its corpse out with tweezers or something without having to disassemble the console. It's probably pretty far fetched, but maybe worth shining a flashlight in there to check.
That is disgusting. But nothing is impossible in this regard.
Warning: Many dead insects inside a Wii → [YouTube] Guess what I found in a Wii I bought ??????

Spiders or whatever. The fan can fail without reason as well. So checking fan spin is the first thing to do (and maybe cleaning the heatsink if it is full of dust).

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A good check for the fan without opening the console is holding a lighter nearby: Does the flame get sucked in? (Go nearby slowly and stop the ligher after having a result)

Also as others said: There are multiple reasons why a fan might fail. Might be some dirt that you removed (moved deeper into the console) by simply moving the Wii U, for example. A good idea is to clean the console from the inside. Also thermal pads or paste won't do it's job forever, so replacing might be a good idea, too.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A good check for the fan without opening the console is holding a lighter nearby: Does the flame get sucked in? (Go nearby slowly and stop the ligher after having a result)

Also as others said: There are multiple reasons why a fan might fail. Might be some dirt that you removed (moved deeper into the console) by simply moving the Wii U, for example. A good idea is to clean the console from the inside. Also thermal pads or paste won't do it's job forever, so replacing might be a good idea, too.
WiiU uses thermasl pads - Maybe replacing thermal pad, a blow job - air out dust and or replacing fan.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
it may seem to you that I work like a bourin,
3 (13).gif

But not at all .

I use my air compressor and I gently blow my wii and my wii u while maintaining the fan(s). and I have never had any problems encountered with my consoles.:yaywii::yayu:

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

Is your Wii U connected directly to a Wall Plug or to an Power Strip (with/without Surge Protector) ?
Can you maybe try an other AC Adapter ?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u needs a reflow, I think, and I don't have a bga station. the cost of one of those is like $80+ shipping, so I just bought another wii u. hopefully, this one I have lasts till I get it. I won't mass install stuff this time, just games I've bought. does anyone know how that works? how do you get your games on a new system if they were all digital? do I need to call Nintendo or just sign in on the new system after doing a factory restore on the broken one?

• Wow
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clean the vents over your fans, they may just be too dusty. Happened to my Wii U not too long ago was causing the system to overheat as the fan wasn't able to cool fast enough with the vent dust obstructing, after cleaning them out, the Wii U no longer shut down and blinked red.

Reactions: godreborn

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
the wii u needs a reflow, I think, and I don't have a bga station. the cost of one of those is like $80+ shipping, so I just bought another wii u. hopefully, this one I have lasts till I get it. I won't mass install stuff this time, just games I've bought. does anyone know how that works? how do you get your games on a new system if they were all digital? do I need to call Nintendo or just sign in on the new system after doing a factory restore on the broken one?
I'm pretty sure on 3ds + Wii U the purchases and NNID are locked to the console you created them on and signed in on. You would need to do a system transfer or contact Nintendo to unlink from your old one.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I canceled my order. I just remembered that I have a second wii u from when 5.3.2 was the latest exploitable, so I'm going to look for it this weekend. Do you need a gamepad for each system to do a system transfer?

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man, I believe was a "Tarantula" and not a normal spider 😂....

OldWiiGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I canceled my order. I just remembered that I have a second wii u from when 5.3.2 was the latest exploitable, so I'm going to look for it this weekend. Do you need a gamepad for each system to do a system transfer?
Yes, you do.
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9159
A NNID can only be transferred using this process (unless there is a homebrew option?)

If the source console is non-functional then I believe you are out of luck and the only way to transfer content (games etc) would be homebrew.

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few months ago I disassembled my WiiU to perform the SLC Hard Mod.
From that experience, here's what I found

The WiiU fan does not actually need to spin, or even be connected for that matter for the WiiU to turn on. (Obviously one should not do this for too long of a period) - ( I see a lot of comments above about the fan - unless you can clearly see that it's not spinning , then IMHO I don't think the fan is your issue)

After removing the heatsink, it did not appear to be a normal thermal pad. The grey stuff resembled more like the pre-applied thermal (hard paste) you see on brand new CPU Coolers. It breaks apart really easily if you remove the heatsink. I scrapped it off and applied some Artic MX-4 thermal paste. (though I don't think it really needed it)

Personally, I would lean towards your power supply (Grey Brick) being the culprit. It would be the easiest thing to try without cracking open your WiiU. Maybe try and borrow one ?

Good luck!
Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol