dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
since I started modding my wii I've been extra worried about everything I use on it.
for the moment,everything works as it should,no problems whatsoever but I can't help feeling worried...

are there any specific actions that could brick your wii? some programs or homebrew that are known to brick wiis?
so I could sleep better at nights
rolleyes.gif

Eric345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what can cause to break your wii is
1. installing the cios
2. downgrading your wii version
3.putting custom wii themes on your wii
4. installing wads
If you install the bootmii with the nand back up then you don't need to worry about it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Eric345 said:
1. installing the cios
4. installing wads
If you install the bootmii with the nand back up then you don't need to worry about it.

1. Maybe, not a single report on this(i'm not counting idiots who make the system menu use IOS249, and then install a faulty cIOS)
2. YES!
3. YES!
4. Depending on the wad, if it's system menu and/or an IOS, you have a good brick chance, and if the banner of the wad is damaged you get a brick

And BootMii only helps against bricks if you have it installed to boot2 and made a nand backup.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eric345 said:
1. installing the cios
4. installing wads
1. No.
2. If done incorrectly.
3. If a corrupted theme is installed.
4. Depends on the WAD.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I can think of:

* Deleting the system menu or system menu IOS
* Installing channels with defective banners.
* Stubbing system menu IOS
* Region changing then officially updating a Korean Wii (Error 003)
* Powering off your wii while installing channels, system menus, IOS for the system menu, or bootmii as boot2
* Mail brick caused by corrupt message board mail.
* Installing an improperly made theme, or a theme not made for your system menu.
* Downgrading a new hardware revision console (came with 3.4 or newer, all new on-the-shelf wiis are of this type).
* Changing your region without installing the correct system menu ("semi-brick")
* Depending on your configuration, formatting your wii.

There are some other cases where a wii may brick, but that covers all the major ones.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
techboy said:
Here's what I can think of:

* Deleting the system menu or system menu IOS
* Installing channels with defective banners.
* Stubbing system menu IOS
* Region changing then officially updating a Korean Wii (Error 003)
* Powering off your wii while installing channels, system menus, IOS for the system menu, or bootmii as boot2
* Mail brick caused by corrupt message board mail.
* Installing an improperly made theme, or a theme not made for your system menu.
* Downgrading a new hardware revision console (came with 3.4 or newer, all new on-the-shelf wiis are of this type).
* Changing your region without installing the correct system menu ("semi-brick")
* Depending on your configuration, formatting your wii.

There are some other cases where a wii may brick, but that covers all the major ones.
this type of brick can be prevented by (before updating to 4.2) installing a patched IOS60v6174 to slot 70 and changing the version # to be higher than the official IOS70. You can get this in wad form via nus auto downloader (or from specific region changing bundles)

dysan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
nice one guys!

so virtually for me there's no danger of bricking since I only want to play games and not bother with anything else
and yes I got a nand backup before I installed everything ^^
do I have to transfer my saves to my sd in case of a brick or does the nand backup take care of that as well?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
this type of brick can be prevented by (before updating to 4.2) installing a patched IOS60v6174 to slot 70 and changing the version # to be higher than the official IOS70. You can get this in wad form via nus auto downloader (or from specific region changing bundles)
Or just use DOP-Mii if you have a wifi connection. It has an option to install IOSes in a different slot.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
techboy said:
XFlak said:
Or just use DOP-Mii if you have a wifi connection. It has an option to install IOSes in a different slot.
except I dont think that will change the version number (not 100% on this, but pretty sure), it will still be version 6174, so if some1 were to accidentally update, the real IOS70v6687 has a higher version #, and it will 'update' IOS70, causing brick on region changed Korean Wii's

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very true...didn't think about that. Now I feel I should go put in a feature request for DOP-Mii...

Also, I've seen that many people install the cIOS70 from CORP since that can't be overwritten by official updates, not to mention its other "enhancements"...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
#1 cause of bricks is user stupidity.

Pretty much just be sure you know what you're doing before you randomly start installing shit, and generally DON'T uninstall/delete things unless you're absolutely sure you need to be doing so, which is often not the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc