Theory/Suspicion: 3DS Camera varies in quality

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by ferofax, Jan 10, 2012.

Jan 10, 2012
  1. ferofax
    OP

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    As the title says, I suspect that the 3DS' camera (or rather, the photos it takes) differs in quality depending on the application that uses it. Is it possible that Nintendo haven't optimized the quality of the camera yet?

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    This is taken using the 3DS Camera app... it's a 3D image, but I took the JPEG one.
    Obviously, it might as well be taken with an early model of a mobile phone.

This was taken using a DSiware app (myPostcards). The color of the hand sanitizer is brighter, to say the least.
    Also, the grid on the paper is crisper, more distinct. The blurry parts on the grid was because the grid on the paper was actually blurry.
    The grain is still visible though, but mostly because there's lack of light. I have different images taken in bright sunlight, and the grain
    is still apparent on the ones taken by the 3DS Camera, but the ones taken by other apps have smoother gradients with finer grain.

The angle changed because I got disoriented by the preview--3DS Camera previews zoomed in (not showing full image), this app previews zoomed out so I overcompensated on the angle.

Also, I haven't compared it yet, but apparently Pokedex3D also takes better pictures than the 3DS Camera app, albeit in smaller resolutions (400x240, IIRC--the top screen's 2D resolution). I'll have to check that out, as I've rarely used the Pokedex3D camera for something other than getting stickers.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that if Nintendo wanted, they could develop the app some more to improve the quality of the pictures/videos taken, at least until the visible disparity is gone. Something like making the software compensate for what the hardware lacks. Too grainy? Let the app smooth those out (lots of ways it can do this dithering). Or the ability to set longer exposures (or shorter) to control the amount of light that registers.

What i'd like to see is options like center-weighting, white balance settings (i have a distinct bias to warmer pictures) and maybe some post-processing features like what the DSi had. It certainly has the muscle to pull some powerful software features.

2. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Cool Theory Bro.
    But it could be possible that the postcard app just has a different filter.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Or it could be because you took it from a different angle. For example you said the grid is clearer in the second - well of course it is, the camera is obviously closer to it.

4. iHavezMyBirdo

Member iHavezMyBirdo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree with this.
    Try another test, leaving the 3DS on the table so it doesn't move.

1 person likes this.
  5. haxan

Member haxan GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    coool theory but do it again!!!
    and i hope ur right!!!
    *crossing fingers*

hey do u guys think that nintendo is lowering the 3ds cam quality and then it tells us to update so we get better quality? (to block flash cards again)
    just thinking weird stuff.

6. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    i was also thinking about that, but it's hard to keep the right distance and angle from something while waiting for both apps to load. ^_^ for one, the difference in default preview zooms makes it hard to compensate. the DSiware makes it look like it's far, but it's actually at the same distance.

i'll attempt a few more comparisons, i guess, both in good warm light (preferably daylight) and in low-light conditions.

which only goes to show that a different, better, software can make all the difference. i mean, what are filters but just different ways of processing the image data?

7. ferofax
    OP

Philippines
    okay, i've got new pictures on me. it's low-light, all screenshots of while i was making that post before. the 3DS was placed right on top of the touch pad of my laptop, and i didn't move it the entire time. i only used the face buttons and the touch buttons, ever so slightly, to avoid any possible slight nudge that could change the camera angles. i didn't not adjust the brightness of the screen, nor change anything else.

bottom line is, the DSiware photo was still superior, at least with color. it tends to "even out" the color of the pixels, making things look smoother.

All in all, this may not verily prove that there's a big difference in quality, depending on how you look at the pictures and judging from the amount of noise, but it does prove one thing:
    the software, and the dithering system it uses, makes all the difference. the DSiware app obviously does it better, but the filters on the 3DS Camera app certainly can make things more interesting.