Misc The USB Dongle method never works on Vista

Mozgus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desperately want to get my DS online again. Switching our router to WEP is not doable, as it's very insecure, and it's not my choice to make, since I live with a lot of roommates who use it.

I use this dongle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833340004

Can someone please share a confirmed method of using this as an access point for my DS? I've followed the guides that mention using ICS, adhoc, or bridging. All of them end of failure.

The software that comes with the driver actually worked as an access point back on Windows XP. Ever since I upgraded to Vista, it's stopped working.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could get anoter switch and wireless AP (for about $10 each) and set it up so that the wireless network your DS can connect to (the new wireless AP) can't access your main network (the ones your computers connect to))

It would be a more permanent solution (you don't have to have a computer on to use your DS/Wii with wifi).
Just a suggestion, since you're going to be spending probably the same amount of money on that dongle+shipping anyways.

Mozgus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iritegood said:
You could get anoter switch and wireless AP (for about $10 each) and set it up so that the wireless network your DS can connect to (the new wireless AP) can't access your main network (the ones your computers connect to))

It would be a more permanent solution (you don't have to have a computer on to use your DS/Wii with wifi).
Just a suggestion, since you're going to be spending probably the same amount of money on that dongle+shipping anyways.
You could try reading my post. I already own the dongle. Have had it for months.

And whatever method you are talking about, I have no idea.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if the nintendo wifi usb is hacked so it acts as an AP. Can it work while your computer is off?

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mozgus said:
iritegood said:

You could try reading my post. I already own the dongle. Have had it for months.

Ah, sorry. I skimmed your post and assumed you were considering buying a USB dongle. If that doesn't work out though, my suggestion still stands.

Mozgus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iritegood said:
Mozgus said:
iritegood said:

Ah, sorry. I skimmed your post and assumed you were considering buying a USB dongle. If that doesn't work out though, my suggestion still stands.
Well I'd need some detailed directions for your method. I am clueless. I already tried hooking up an old router to my PC, which is being fed from a much newer router coming from the cable modem. I just couldnt figure out how to give the old router net access from my PC. ICS does nothing.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozgus said:
iritegood said:
Mozgus said:
iritegood said:

Well I'd need some detailed directions for your method. I am clueless. I already tried hooking up an old router to my PC, which is being fed from a much newer router coming from the cable modem. I just couldnt figure out how to give the old router net access from my PC. ICS does nothing.
Weird ICS should work if set up right. You sure that you've set it up right?

Mozgus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
david432111 said:
Weird ICS should work if set up right. You sure that you've set it up right?
What kind of question is that? I follow guides, and they don't work. There's very few steps. All they ever say is to enable ICS on your adapter thats connected to the internet. There's nothing to it.

Mozgus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working on my own. Was a matter of manually configuring the DS, since apparently this thing's DHCP functionality was busted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.