Hacking "The system files are corrupted." Uh, What? Why?

Seaniccus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have lite homebrew installed on my system - that is, I've only ever installed the homebrew channel - not DVDx, not bootmii, not anything else - and used it to run a few simple homebrew programs, and maybe Gecko OS every now and then to use codes.

Recently, I haven't used it at all - and I have NOT updated to the new System Menu. I was getting ready to play SPORE HERO for a few minutes before heading to work, and accidentally clicked on the WiiWare game next to the disc menu. It came up VERY SLOWLY. I clikced the "-" button to move to the disc channel, and after looking for the disc for a moment, the following message came up:

"The system files are corrupted.
Please refer to the Wii Operations Manual
for help troubleshooting."

I freaked out a little bit, and then rest my system. Now it's acting normal.

What the hell is going on here? I thought about Uninstalling homebrew channel and formatting my system memory, then updating to the new system menu, but aside from that I can think of no "fix" that will get me clear with Nintendo in case it bricks on me, or if i have bad memory or something. I don't REALLY want to do this though, becasue I'll lose my WiiWare saves for Megaman 9, Onslaght, and world of goo - - and a lot of my other "no copy" saves will be a pain to transfer back without using the homebrew channel. (Bannerbomb pluss savegame installer, i guess?)

What usually causes this message? I've deliberately avoided installing any non official IOS files for this very reason, yet it happened anyway. Is it a one off thing, or a big deal that's going to loom it's head soon?

D

Deleted-171178

The wiiware you loaded first (slowly) has a big banner and basically the wii got "overpowered". No biggie, it shouldnt brick you.
Also, install Bootmii and Preloader. It will protect you from many bricks.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I get this time to time. Just to reset and go!

Happens to me often when I start up the disc channel.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this is not a problem. of course your wii will sometimes function abnormally because even though you did not use mess up your ios that much, you still do use homebrew which are unofficial applications on the wii...live with it or remove totally homebrew on your wii...

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow. So some banners are complex enough to make your wii run out of memory? Or what is happening there?

Seaniccus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The wiiware you loaded first (slowly) has a big banner and basically the wii got "overpowered". No biggie, it shouldnt brick you.
Also, install Bootmii and Preloader. It will protect you from many bricks.

This post has been edited by beegee7730: Today, 11:50 AM

The WiiWare game was "Swords and Soldiers," I'm not sure how "big" the banner is, but it's animated. I'vebeen thinking about installing BootMii, but I try to keep things fully updated on the Nintendo side- I buy a decent amount of WiiWare/VC games, and I have a policy of only updating fully - patched updates scare the crap out of me - and it looks like you have to install IOS stuff to get them to work - which as I stated before, I don't do. ..anyway, I was saying, That's why I don't have BootMii right now, because I'm not ready to take the risk of the most recent update just yet, but i know it overwites boot2, so i'm just going to wait..

this is not a problem. of course your wii will sometimes function abnormally because even though you did not use mess up your ios that much, you still do use homebrew which are unofficial applications on the wii...live with it or remove totally homebrew on your wii...

I almost did! ...remove homebrew, that is - but as I said, I didn't want to jump the gun and lose some data. I was pretty careful about the IOS stuff - even checked it with any region - the only triple digit one i have is the one Nintendo put in an update to block homebrew - and i'm pretty sure that's the official file, because I don' think I installed whatever it was they were trying to block.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your not ready to install bootmii because of the risk?

Wii hacking is definitely not for you my friend.

my guide would be a like heart attack for you then?

Seaniccus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
your not ready to install bootmii because of the risk?

Wii hacking is definitely not for you my friend.

my guide would be a like heart attack for you then?

Well, I don't know what your "guide" is, but I never said that anything about "risk," but I suppose that's not an untrue statement. Nintendo fucked up their most recent update pretty badly - if I am going to risk updating with NINTENDO anytime soon, I'd rather not complicate the process any further. The fact that I do even minimal homebrew excludes me from the free fix for their own bad code, and I can't afford to get the Wii repaired, so yes - i'm very careful.

Honestly, if I knew of a way to delete the homebrew entries from the message board without formatting, I would probably uninstall all HB from the system - I haven't used it much recently, just once last month of Ocarina, and to show a friend Final Fantasy Tactics running on the Wii, just for kicks.

Seaniccus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linuxares said:
Uninstall HBC and format it, then the messages are GONE

I know, but like I said - IF there was a way to do it WITHOUT formatting. I'm not very interested in formatting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag