Gaming The Switch to Ubuntu... Is it worth it?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've had my netbook for maybe 6-7 months now, and let me say this... It a piece of S***. I'm rather used to Macs, and I thought that maybe Linux (Ubuntu) would help. Even on the first day, the computer wasn't as fast as (I thought) it should have been. Now, I have to turn it on, and leave it sitting for maybe 5 minutes just to get to the Choose The Account menu. And loading my account (The only account on there, mind you.) takes another 6-7 minutes. I really have had enough with it. That's why I thought that I should install Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I don't really need help, because I've read the process at least 3 times, if not more. I just thought that I should ask the people of GBATemp for their opinions. Thanks in advance!

(Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I installed a 2GB Ram upgrade, but it didn't really do anything.)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me specify... I don't give a DAMN S*** if I have to format my whole computer. I will do ANYTHING* to get it at moderate speeds.

(*Not literally. Just enough to get me running again.))

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just interested... what netbook ?

I have an Samsung NC10 and IMO it's pretty fast; as long you dont trash down windows too much it shouldnt be THAT slow.
As long you dont have a netbook of the first eee-generations (the REALY small ones) there shouldnt be any difference in CPU&GFX~

After some random optimizing stuff found in the internetz I got a booting time of 30~40 seconds...

I just guess your system is too filled - or maybe already was when you brought it (most laptops/desktops are overfilled with random antiviruses/firewalls/other shareware stuff that slows down the PC)...

----

As long the netbook itself is okay, using ubuntu should help - at least it doesnt need 10 minutes to boot ;P
But just one warning: Flash sucks on linux; as long its just small objects, its okay, but when maximizing youtube/whatever it's unwatchable.
But firefox/messengers/media-players work fine~

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, I'd be really careful installing Ubuntu 9.10 on there. It's supposed to be quite buggy - so much so that I haven't bothered to upgrade, yet. I'd either use 9.04 or check to see if people have had any issues with your hardware.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've never found Linux buggy. But then again I never had one crash in Vista.
tongue.gif

Linux p0wns Windows.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Velveteer said:
Actually, I'd be really careful installing Ubuntu 9.10 on there. It's supposed to be quite buggy - so much so that I haven't bothered to upgrade, yet. I'd either use 9.04 or check to see if people have had any issues with your hardware.
i've had no probs with karmic, runs great...

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
Velveteer said:

on a netbook?

anyways i say make the switch but i would suggest you look at other distributions aside from ubuntu, maybe something more lightweight.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
mercluke said:
Velveteer said:
It's had a tonne of compatibility issues. Just boot off the Live USB and check that everything works. Especially WLAN.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Slyakin said:
Let me specify... I don't give a DAMN S*** if I have to format my whole computer. I will do ANYTHING* to get it at moderate speeds.

(*Not literally. Just enough to get me running again.))
look up Ubuntu Netbook Remix, its a USB install, and YES it IS worth it

QUOTE(themuddaload @ Nov 15 2009, 01:53 AM) just install ubuntu on a wubi partition to try it out. you still dont like the speed, you can give it to me.
shut the fuck up, wubi doesn't make a *proper* install, it just makes a glorified live version that launches from the windows bootloader. also live copies are slow as hell, and are even slower at booting.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.archlinux.org/

Read through the guides, spend a day or two setting up your shit manually.

This way you don't end up in the barrel of completely clueless Ubuntu users (not to mention you won't suffer from it's bloated nature). The short time investment will pay you back 1000x fold if you plan to use Linux in the long-term.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
http://www.archlinux.org/

Read through the guides, spend a day or two setting up your shit manually.

This way you don't end up in the barrel of completely clueless Ubuntu users (not to mention you won't suffer from it's bloated nature). The short time investment will pay you back 1000x fold if you plan to use Linux in the long-term.
i agree arch is quite good but i recommend dabbling with Ubuntu a bit first to get some common ground on weather or not you even want to use a Linux OS, it's best to take baby steps.
I had a friend i told to try Arch who never used Linux before.
Big mistake but i though he was a bright enough person to figure it out, alas i was wrong.
Now he is afraid to try it again since he thinks every distro will be as complicated to set up, though i didn't find it complicated those are his words hence why i've suggested Ubuntu since then, a bit later when you are sure of your self you can tackle the more user involved stuff.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
UltraMagnus said:
just get the ubuntu netbook remix, you won't regret it
Ubuntu Netbook Remix is suited for netbooks, but only a retard would use it in the longterm. At least its better than Wubi.

seriously, go with what Urza said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.