The Switch to Ubuntu... Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Slyakin, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Well, I've had my netbook for maybe 6-7 months now, and let me say this... It a piece of S***. I'm rather used to Macs, and I thought that maybe Linux (Ubuntu) would help. Even on the first day, the computer wasn't as fast as (I thought) it should have been. Now, I have to turn it on, and leave it sitting for maybe 5 minutes just to get to the Choose The Account menu. And loading my account (The only account on there, mind you.) takes another 6-7 minutes. I really have had enough with it. That's why I thought that I should install Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I don't really need help, because I've read the process at least 3 times, if not more. I just thought that I should ask the people of GBATemp for their opinions. Thanks in advance!

(Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I installed a 2GB Ram upgrade, but it didn't really do anything.)

2. themuddaload

themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

May 4, 2008
    United States
    West of the equator Sex: sure
    i would see if there is a wubi installer for netbooks. that basically creates a file (a size you specify, i have 10 gigs) to install ubuntu on. installing this way will keep you from having to create a partition or format to try out ubuntu.

3. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Let me specify... I don't give a DAMN S*** if I have to format my whole computer. I will do ANYTHING* to get it at moderate speeds.

(*Not literally. Just enough to get me running again.))

4. themuddaload

themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

May 4, 2008
    United States
    West of the equator Sex: sure
    just install ubuntu on a wubi partition to try it out. you still dont like the speed, you can give it to me.

5. Slyakin
    OP

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Okay, thanks! I'll be back in a bit and see the end results.

6. leinad

leinad GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Just interested... what netbook ?

I have an Samsung NC10 and IMO it's pretty fast; as long you dont trash down windows too much it shouldnt be THAT slow.
    As long you dont have a netbook of the first eee-generations (the REALY small ones) there shouldnt be any difference in CPU&GFX~

After some random optimizing stuff found in the internetz I got a booting time of 30~40 seconds...

I just guess your system is too filled - or maybe already was when you brought it (most laptops/desktops are overfilled with random antiviruses/firewalls/other shareware stuff that slows down the PC)...

----

As long the netbook itself is okay, using ubuntu should help - at least it doesnt need 10 minutes to boot ;P
    But just one warning: Flash sucks on linux; as long its just small objects, its okay, but when maximizing youtube/whatever it's unwatchable.
    But firefox/messengers/media-players work fine~

7. Velveteer

Velveteer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2008
    Actually, I'd be really careful installing Ubuntu 9.10 on there. It's supposed to be quite buggy - so much so that I haven't bothered to upgrade, yet. I'd either use 9.04 or check to see if people have had any issues with your hardware.

8. playallday

playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

May 23, 2008
    Canada
    [@N@[)@
    I've never found Linux buggy. But then again I never had one crash in Vista. [​IMG]

Linux p0wns Windows.

9. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    i've had no probs with karmic, runs great...

10. mrSmiles

mrSmiles Dundunduuuun

Oct 27, 2002
    Canada
    on a netbook?

anyways i say make the switch but i would suggest you look at other distributions aside from ubuntu, maybe something more lightweight.

11. Velveteer

Velveteer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2008
    It's had a tonne of compatibility issues. Just boot off the Live USB and check that everything works. Especially WLAN.

12. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

Jan 31, 2008
    Hinamizawa
    shut the fuck up, wubi doesn't make a *proper* install, it just makes a glorified live version that launches from the windows bootloader. also live copies are slow as hell, and are even slower at booting.

13. Urza

Urza hi

Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    http://www.archlinux.org/

Read through the guides, spend a day or two setting up your shit manually.

This way you don't end up in the barrel of completely clueless Ubuntu users (not to mention you won't suffer from it's bloated nature). The short time investment will pay you back 1000x fold if you plan to use Linux in the long-term.

14. IceRentoraa29

IceRentoraa29 Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.

Aug 10, 2007
    United States
    The Land of Wuz AKA: Kuromi
    Get Puppy http://puppylinux.org It's small, easy to use, and really newb friendly. I've been using it on my Asus EEE PC 701 for a while and I love it [​IMG]

15. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    i agree arch is quite good but i recommend dabbling with Ubuntu a bit first to get some common ground on weather or not you even want to use a Linux OS, it's best to take baby steps.
    I had a friend i told to try Arch who never used Linux before.
    Big mistake but i though he was a bright enough person to figure it out, alas i was wrong.
    Now he is afraid to try it again since he thinks every distro will be as complicated to set up, though i didn't find it complicated those are his words hence why i've suggested Ubuntu since then, a bit later when you are sure of your self you can tackle the more user involved stuff.

16. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    just get the ubuntu netbook remix, you won't regret it

17. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

Jan 31, 2008
    Hinamizawa
    Ubuntu Netbook Remix is suited for netbooks, but only a retard would use it in the longterm. At least its better than Wubi.

seriously, go with what Urza said.