The Supreme Court sides with Wal-Mart [Salon]

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
md_horiz.jpg

The full article can be found in the spoiler tags below.

The Supreme Court sides with Wal-Mart
Why the court ruled against a group of female employees and what it means for the the rights of workers everywhere
By Natasha Lennard
The Supreme Court has rejected an effort on behalf of potentially a million female workers to sue Wal-Mart for discrimination, throwing out the biggest class-action discrimination case in history.

The case, Wal-Mart vs. Dukes, dates back a decade and Monday's decision will have ramifications for many years going forward relating to the issues of gender-bias and workers' ability to bring large class-action law suits against big employers.

Case history: In 2001, Betty Dukes, a "greeter" at a northern California Wal-Mart, filed suit for gender discrimination and sought to certify a class-action consisting of any and all female employees who worked for Wal-Mart after December 26, 1998 -- approximately 1.5 million women.

The suit alleged that the policies and culture at Wal-Mart discriminate against women (including pay and opportunities for promotion). In particular, Dukes and the women who joined her pointed to Wal-Mart's practice of letting local managers subjectively decide on pay and promotions as almost uniformly leading to discrimination.

Nan Aaron, the president of the Alliance for Justice, pointed to a just few individual examples of discrimination raised by female Wal-Mart employees seeking the class certification (via the Huffington Post):

When a woman with a master's degree who had worked at Wal-Mart for five years asked her department manager why she was paid less than a 17-year-old boy who had just been hired, she was informed, "You just don't have the right equipment... You aren't male, so you can't expect to be paid the same." Another female employee was informed that a male employee got a bigger raise then she did because he had "a family to support." Another was told that men would always be paid more than women at Wal-Mart because "God made Adam first, so women would always be second to men."

The district court approved and a federal appeals court upheld the certification of the class-action. Wal-Mart, in its appeal, argued that a class of potentially 1.5 million was simply too big. (In response, the plaintiffs noted that Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the Unites States and that any class-action brought by its employees would have to involve a very big class).

As a report from the Alliance for Justice put it:

[Wal-Mart] maintains that the large number of its stores, managers, and employees means that pay and promotion decisions turn[ed] on decisions made by individual store managers and cannot support the commonality among class members that is required for class certification.

Plaintiffs counter with a powerful narrative that shows how sex discrimination at Wal-Mart was the inevitable byproduct of a strong and centralized corporate system that originated in the company’s Home Office in Bentonville, Arkansas, and permeated each of the company’s stores in the United States.

The Supreme Court decision: The decision Monday hinged not on whether Wal-Mart enacted discriminatory policies, but on whether there were sufficient grounds to treat the women as a class. Despite the plaintiffs' arguments, and the decisions in district court and the federal appeals court, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Wal-Mart.

The workers "provide no convincing proof of a company-wide discriminatory pay and promotion policy," Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the court.

The justices unanimously agreed on disqualifying the class, but Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan all indicated that they do see a common issue among all the plaintiffs' complaints but don't believe the case could proceed to achieve monetary damages for the women workers. They suggested that the case return to a lower court and proceed -- still as a class-action -- as one that would not seek money damages.

But the court also voted 5 to 4 that the case can't proceed as any type of class action. It is this decision that could set a precedent for class-actions against large corporations

The ramifications: For the plaintiffs in the Dukes case, the decision is huge blow. The individuals seeking damages for discrimination could now file individually, but even if individual filings were successful, they would not challenge the pervading discrimination pointed to in the Dukes case. Ginsburg wrote in her decision: "Women fill 70% of the hourly jobs in the retailer's stores, but make up only 33% of the management employees... The higher one looks in the organization, the lower the percentage of women." Individual damages claims will not address this.

The ramifications for U.S. workers may be more troubling. In decertifying this class, the Supreme Court has set a difficult standard for any future large-scale class actions. The Supreme Court's decision is another in a long line of rulings by the Roberts Court that side with corporate interests, a trend Dan Manatt noted on the HuffPo last year. And, crucially, the decision could undermine class actions as a vital means to challenge pervasive biases in big companies.
Source: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/06/...mart/index.html
The official text of the Supreme Court decision can be read here: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/10-277.pdf
I didn't know this until now, but the class action actually has a homepage: http://www.walmartclass.com/public_home.html

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like these sorts of cases are base upon the individual. If the general management is discriminating then you take it up higher. I do not think this is a company wide problem. You work at a minimum wage job, expect to be paid minimum wage. Walmart do indeed give good pay raises, but you have to hit your marks. I can also see where management was going with the, "He has a family argument", but that is unfair and it should have been escalated within the company.

Also, inb4catboy.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basing all of this "upon the individual" is precisely what Wal-Mart wants. The Court did not even deny that sexual discrimination took place, but that the vast size of the enterprise being sued damned the class opposition from the outset. The Court majority believed that each case should be confined to the particular store it occurred at. Breaking up the class action into arbitration would disallow any broader action against the company itself. As Ginsburg said in her dissenting opinion: "even if individual filings were successful, they would not challenge the pervading discrimination pointed to in the Dukes case." As for those those pay raises, the problem is that they are entirely subjective and left up to the managers alone. The Supreme Court has again taken the side of big business against the working class.

The ruling is a huge blow to all working people looking to seek restitution against the rapacious policies of their employers.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that. I don't think that the entire company was involved. It was on case by case basis. When word started to get out, everybody began to get up in arms. Things like this need to be escalated within the company to get the offender removed, or demoted. Be glad that walmart still allows you to take them to court. When I worked at Wendys, I had to sign my right to sue them away to continue to work for them. I had to sign my rights, my children's rights, and their children's right. I had to go through a mediator to work out things. Total Bullshit.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose when you put it that way, I guess we should be glad they get to go to court at all. The way Wendy's treated you is despicable and wrong. You should be granted every right to take legal action against the ill treatment of your person. Even so, I can't fully agree with your earlier position. Even if the "company" of Wal-Mart (which could refer to many differing sects within that company) was not actively aiding and abetting sexual discrimination (this was essentially the crux of Justice Scalia's position), that does not immediately acquit them in this matter. The evidence strongly indicated, within the management circles, a general indifference to the plight of these working women. The only way to combat such treatment is, ultimately, a class-action lawsuit that strikes the company at the jugular. I would advise you to Google some of the witness statements if you can. Their documentation as, if I recall, quite meticulous.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of something else. I haven't found the witness statements yet.
Edit II: In absence of the plaintiff's evidence, perhaps the text of the Justice's decisions will do: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/10-277.pdf

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know people who have worked at ASDA since before Wal-Mart bought it and according to them there is a definite, thinly veiled, culture of sexism slowly creeping in when it comes pay raises and promotions. Women have to hit higher marks for the same reward...

Don't know if it's true, I don't even shop at supermarkets.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I usually agree with you much of the time. This time though, I see the point. If indeed there is a correlation in discrimination across the company, then legal action needs to ensue. From my experiences in Wendys, the culprit was usually stripped of title, and removed. I am male, so I can't speak for the female population, but that was my experience. However, if there is no correlation, and is a case by case basis, the victims of such abuse should escalate it within their company. I will be in contact with my friends who work in the Walmart salons and get back with you.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what happens when something as fucking huge as Walmart gets into a lawsuit against a person. Walmart has too much money, and it can easily buy its way through the law.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
They should have won this case. I seriously think they should have. Discrimination is a big problem.

Except here. Here all the Mexicans and African-Americans, if they're not hired, threaten to sue on account of discrimination. So they're hired and decent people working there are fired to make space for a new employee. It's apparently a new trend. Makes it hard to get a job, it does.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
They should have won this case. I seriously think they should have. Discrimination is a big problem.

Except here. Here all the Mexicans and African-Americans, if they're not hired, threaten to sue on account of discrimination. So they're hired and decent people working there are fired to make space for a new employee. It's apparently a new trend. Makes it hard to get a job, it does.

Only because they make it so. On that one, it's not the companys' fault. It's that people in this country are so fucking lawsuit-crazy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
"You just don't have the right equipment... You aren't male, so you can't expect to be paid the same."

"God made Adam first, so women would always be second to men."

"A woman with a master's degree who had worked at Wal-Mart for five years (...) was paid less than a 17-year-old boy"

Alright, I'm calling BS on this. Where is this Wal-Mart exactly? In the jungle? I can't think of a place where you could here those lines. God made Adam first, good one, especially conscidering the popularity of Atheism nowadays.

Master's degree in what? I can already imagine it. "Conservation of Flat Surfaces by Use of Cleaning Equipment", apparently. There's no way in hell a person with a degree and 5 years on the job would earn more than a 17-year old.

Evidence. I'm asking for evidence. Are there any tapes I could listen to? Any documents at all? 'Cause if you're pulling out a rake and jump onto a huge corporation, you ought to have evidence of some sort.

QUOTE said:
The workers "provide no convincing proof of a company-wide discriminatory pay and promotion policy,

THANK YOU. F*ck off, feminists.

The justices unanimously agreed on disqualifying the class, but Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan

And it so just happens that the 4 who disagreed are 3 women and 1 liberal. Dandy.

*clap clap* Case closed, next time if you wanna fight, at the very least be prepared.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
This is what happens when something as fucking huge as Walmart gets into a lawsuit against a person. Walmart has too much money, and it can easily buy its way through the law.
While you're correct to point out Wal-Mart's financial clout and the Supreme Court's huge bias, the ruling also sets a very dangerous precedent. Scalia's decision essentially says that Wal-Mart is basically too big to take to court for any future class action lawsuits that may arise. The WSWS noted thus: http://wsws.org/articles/2011/jun2011/supr-j21.shtml
QUOTE said:
In effect, Scalia argues that in order to even bring the class action lawsuit, the female workers of Wal-Mart would have to demonstrate that there was a deliberate discrimination policy explicitly adopted by the company, and that this policy was imposed upon every one of its managers. This is, in fact, an impossibly high barrier to reach.

Taking Wal-Mart’s perverse reasoning to its logical conclusion, the Court decision declares that the larger a corporation, the less susceptible it will be to class actions. The larger the number of employees, he argued, the more dissimilar the claims will be.
Another commentator also made a very apt point: Scalia requires a smoking gun. But unless the lawsuit had been allowed to go forward, there would have been no chance of acquiring it (this is ignoring, for now, the statistical arguments that backed up the plaintiff's claims): http://www.ibtimes.com/blog/political-thea...big-sue_118.htm
QUOTE said:
As a layperson, your reaction to the above paragraph [regarding the statistical evidence] is probably like mine. “Well, if they were able to show that there was a company wide issue where women were not receiving equal pay for equal work and were denied promotions, and virtually every judge at every level agreed with this, why was there an issue with 23(a)(2) “there are questions of law or fact common to the class”?

The reason is that the standard you need to meet is pretty high. You need to show a memo or email or some directive from corporate indicating that what is happening is the policy of the company. Here is where the catch 22 comes in. Unless you have a class action suit, it is very difficult to get the kind of discovery (the legal term for ability to compel a company to turn over emails, documents, etc), you need to prove a case like this. So you cannot get a class action suit certified without the evidence and you cannot get the evidence without a class action. The common man is stuck and once again the large corporation is holding all of the cards.
Again, this sets a very dangerous precedent: Big business will be legally protected by virtue of the fact that it is big, and that the dissimilarities of the class must be emphasized over their similarities.

@Foxi4:
QUOTE said:
Evidence. I'm asking for evidence. Are there any tapes I could listen to? Any documents at all? 'Cause if you're pulling out a rake and jump onto a huge corporation, you ought to have evidence of some sort.
Most of the evidence in this case is accessible at the official web site for the lawsuit: https://walmart.walmartclass.com/public_home.html Check under "Pleadings and Press Releases" on the left.
And it so just happens that the 4 who disagreed are 3 women and 1 liberal. Dandy.
That is a puerile argument. "They are women and they disagreed, therefore we can dismiss them?" Please.
The workers "provide no convincing proof of a company-wide discriminatory pay and promotion policy, THANK YOU. F*ck off, feminists.
Actually, they did, by and large. You can see it for yourself by accessing the link I referenced above. Scalia and the majority simply imposed an impossible standard for them to fulfill. He basically says that the commonalities between all of the class participants must basically be uniform (not to mention the smoking gun) in order to retain merit. I admit that I am not a huge fan of feminism. But it would be entirely premature to dismiss the plaintiffs simply because you perceive a feminist agenda in the suit. These are social demands that are indicative of the plaintiffs class interests in opposition to the austerity policies being pursued by the bourgeoisie. Wal-Mart has failed to fulfill them and the women deserve to be defended, despite what identity politics arises with it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am holding back on any comment on the main story for now until I can be bothered to do some more reading. I will note though that wal mart is not a franchise in the traditional sense although I have not looked into the investors side of things (not that it would change things all that much if investment went by region).

I will say though I find the greeters quite annoying should I venture into such a place.

Foxi4 said:
"A woman with a master's degree who had worked at Wal-Mart for five years (...) was paid less than a 17-year-old boy"

Master's degree in what? I can already imagine it. "Conservation of Flat Surfaces by Use of Cleaning Equipment", apparently. There's no way in hell a person with a degree and 5 years on the job would earn more than a 17-year old.

Would it truly matter if it was a degree in something useful? We are always told a degree does not automatically confer a job or even a set wage for any job and given wal mart typically offers fairly low skilled jobs.

I am not overly familiar with wage laws in the US though and UK stuff would not be of any real help here so I will have to avoid some more in depth stuff. I would not mind knowing a few more specifics about this example though; I will assume nothing so obvious as part time vs full time, hours (night being more than day), hours worked (this is not a weekly wage packet for a full vs part time) was overlooked and this was for a similar job description (I would pay my 17 year old tyre fitter more than till jockey for instance).

Of course though if those comments were found to be truly spoken that is certainly cause for the manager to be striped up; I have seen things far less clear cut than that go though.

"the inevitable byproduct of a strong and centralized corporate system that originated in the company’s Home Office in Bentonville, Arkansas, and permeated each of the company’s stores in the United States"

"The decision Monday hinged not on whether Wal-Mart enacted discriminatory policies, but on whether there were sufficient grounds to treat the women as a class. Despite the plaintiffs' arguments, and the decisions in district court and the federal appeals court, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Wal-Mart.

The workers "provide no convincing proof of a company-wide discriminatory pay and promotion policy," Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the court."

I get what those quotes are trying to say but they do seem to be a failure of language.

As for the fallout/"case law" from this I am not sure it is as huge as the source thinks; I can see no real rulings on legislation, clarifications on or alternative options for any existing case law or any of the things that traditionally comes with some of the bigger civil suits (at best lots of "in this case" type things).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've owned both iPhone and Androids over the years. Both are just as good, other than Apples higher price. I'm currently on Android, Samsung S21 I think, and very happy with it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got my 60 minute steps in whew
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I get mine in everyday, going back n forth to the fridge for a beer.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6,000 steps in so far legs almost broke getting off
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your mind gets in a werid pattern of just finishing then when you're done you're like I need a soda
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get a "walkers" high?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not really I just use to love building up a sweat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Funny, that's what uremum always says
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah and people that take viagra think they have a big dick
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You cant fix one insult edit for another edit you pog
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: