I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Supercard DSTwo FAQ - Your source for all the answers on this revolutionary flashcart

Latest EOS Download:
Click here!

Introduction

The SupercardDSTwo is one of the most hyped flashcarts of all time. It takes the innovation of the supercard team and blends it with the concept of having an embedded CPU in a flashcart to do things no other flashcart can. In short the DSTwo can do GBA emulation, soon to come DIVX playback and SNES emulation, and much more. The SupercardDSTwo also features a menu very similar to that of AKAIO, possessing the ability to do things like copy/cut/paste/delete. On top of all this it also has the handy real time menu. Real Time Save, Real Time Guide, Real Time Cheat, Free Cheat, Slow Motion, and Soft Reset in one menu. Never again will you have to say: "Dangit it I really need to use RTS but I forgot to turn it on!"

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions said:
Q: I updated to DSi version 1.4.1 or 1.4.2C and my DSTwo no longer boots! What do I do?
A: Install this official update from the supercard team. This will work even if you've already updated. Just put the files on your microsd and put your SupercardDSTwo in your DSi, turn on your DSi, and wait and it will start updating itself.

Q: How is the SupercardDSTwo able to do GBA emulation without a slot2 device? I thought that was impossible.
A: It's because the DSTwo features a embedded processor similar to that of the iPlayer. With this processor it is able to do many things normal slot1 flashcarts can't.

Q: I guess the SupercardDSTwo is really pricey, huh?
A: It really depends. On shoptemp and other sites you can get it for $35-$40. This is actually cheaper than the CycloDS Evolution.

Q: What is the build like?
A: The build isn't all too bad, it's kind of in between bad and good. It barely fits in the DSi slot (it's worse than the M3, you really have to jam it in). It has a couple teeth on the contacts, and a screw at the bottom to help hold the thing together. Finally it has a top sided microsd slot that's spring loaded.

Q: Will I need to patch my SupercardDSTwo if my DSi is on version 1.4? What about 1.4.1?
A: No the DSTwo ships automatically patched for 1.4, to make it compatible with 1.4.1 just update to the latest EOS firmware (which can be found at the top of this post).

Q: How does the SupercardDSTwo patch itself?
A: From what I've seen first hand it doesn't actually patch itself, you just need to update the files on your microsd and that's the end of it. So it's a much safer way to "patch" because there's no chance of bricking.

Q: Does SupercardDSTwo work on the DSi XL?
A: Yes

Q: I heard this thing was basically a clone of the iPlayer, is this true?
A: The DSTwo is very close to the iPlayer, and I'm not exaggerating with this. But thankfully mercluke set things straight with this topic comparing them both. Apparently they have very similar hardware but different chipsets.

Q: Is the menu exactly like the DSOnei's?
A: The DSTwo's menu is the EOS menu, but it is quite a bit different from the DSOnei's EOS menu. One of the main differences it includes a plugin menu at the beginning. You can see a demonstration of the DSTwo's EOS menu in the media section.

Firmware Questions said:
Q: Why is the EOS menu so similar to AKAIO?
A: It's because the Evolution OS (EOS) is based of the AcekardRPG source which is also what AKAIO is based off of.

Q: Where can I find plugins to add onto the DSTwo's plugin menu?
A: Here

Q: Where can I find skins for my DSTwo?
A: This topic has a wide variety of skins to choose from. You can also get skins from the official supercard forums.

Q: Can I wifi update my SupercardDSTwo's firmware like AKAIO?
A: Despite the EOS being so similar to AKAIO and being based from the same source it does not natively support wifi updating. However you can use this handy homebrew application to update your EOS, gba plugin, and ds1patch.dat from the same program. It even allows for directly downloading/unzipping skins as well.

Q: What is this hotkey option in the system settings?
A: This option allows you to completely customize the hotkey used to start the Real Time Menu. Just check/uncheck the box next to each button to customize the hotkey to your likings.

Q: How come the brightness setting doesn't change my DSi's brightness?
A: This setting is completely moot on a DSi/DSi XL and is un-needed. I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't work (probably because of the DSi's new structure), but you can change your DSi's brightness at anytime by pressing select and the volume buttons.

Q: What's the difference between clean and patch mode when launching NDS roms?
A: Clean mode means that there are zero patches done to the rom. It basically runs the NDS rom as it was meant to be run. This can help with some problematic games. By default, though, you should have patch mode on.

Q: How do I remove different plug-ins from the start up menu?
A: Goto the _dstwoplug folder on your microsd. For example if you want to delete the moonshell plugin you just look for the correct ini file (It'll have a field like name= and that's the name that appears in the actual menu) and delete the ini file and the NDS file that it points to (in this case it would be Moonshell2.nds).

GBA/SNES Emulation said:
Q: How good is the GBA emulator? Does it work with games like Golden Sun or Pokemon?
A: The GBA Emulator is quite iffy. It'll get the job done, but there's still quite a few games that don't work. Golden Sun works but it lags at certain points, and Pokemon will work with a special game_config.txt. Go here or here to see a work in progress compatibility lists.

Q: Does this emulator support extras like save states and fast forward?
A: The GBA emulator supports save states, fast-forward, frame skip, custom key configuration, screenshot, rewind, and cheats.

Q: Where do I get this game_config.txt file? What do I do with it?
A: http://www.tfact.net/psp/gpsp-alpha/gpsp/game_config.txt Copy and paste that into a txt file called (obviously) "game_config.txt". You then put that txt file in your microsd's NDSGBA folder.

Q: I heard the GBA emulator in the SupercardDSTwo is basically a copy of the iPlayer's, is this true?
A: Well it is for the most part. It's re-skinned and it does get updates every now and then. In short, it is basically the same as the original emulator written by DarkChen.

Q: Where do I place my GBA roms?
A: It's suggested to place them in a folder called "GBA" in the root of your microsd. However, it is not required to do so. The GBA emulator on the DSTwo can browse your microsd's contents. So really, you can put your GBA roms any where you please.

Q: How does the SNES emulator work?
A: It's almost identical to the GBA emulator in features and in terms of use.

Q: Where can I get the SNES emulator?
A: It doesn't come with the DSTwo like the GBA emulator does, you'll need to download it from the official SupercardDSTwo plugin page

Tips & Tricks

Returning to the plugin menu via DS_GAME said:
  • Press B when in the root of your microsd.

Auto booting DS_GAME (or other)]
  • Goto the _dstwo folder on your microsd
  • Rename dstwo.nds to something else like dstwo2.nds
  • Get the nds file of the file you want auto booted (I'm fairly certain it has to be pre-dldi patched, auto dldi won't work for this) (Reference: DS_GAME is called "DSGAME.nds" and is in the _dstwo folder)
  • The DSTwo now autoboots to the file you replace dstwo.nds with. This obviously won't work with the gba emulator because it's "executable" is a .plg file.
  • Now whenever you run reset2desktop.nds it will actually reset to what you replace dstwo.nds with

How to change the name of DS_GAME in the plugin menu said:
  • People using EOS 1.03 or above can just edit the ini.
  • Goto the _dstwo folder on your microsd
  • Open dstwo.nds in a hexeditor
  • Goto the address 0x00031A08
  • Look for the words "DS_GAME"
  • Edit the name to your likings (it must be the same length)
  • Save over the old dstwo.nds

Complete Real Time Guide Creation Guide by Windaga (txt and bmp) said:
1.Open your image up in Photo Shop.
2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file as "GameName.01.bmp"
example1qk.png
(where "GameName" is the exact name of your .NDS file you are creating the guide for.)
4. When prompted, click "24", then "save."
example2mn.png
Reminders:-Make sure your image name is the EXACT name of your .NDS file.-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.01.bmp, GameName.02.bmp, GameName.16.bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.01.txt, GameName.02.txt, GameName.16.txt-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.

Editing DS_GAME on 1.03 said:
  • Goto the "_dstwoplug" folder on your microsd.
  • Make a new txt file and paste the following in it:

[plug setting]name=DS_GAMEicon=fat1:/_dstwoplug/dstwo_game.bmp

• Replace name with what you want DS_GAME to be called
  • Put the icon you want for it to be in "_dsdtwoplug" and make it 40x42 pixel 16-bit bmp file and call it "dstwo_game.bmp"
  • If you don't want to edit the icon just delete the line with "icon="
  • Save the txt file and rename it (completely, like get rid of the .txt part) to "dstwo_game.ini".
  • Goto the "_dstwoplug" folder on your microsd.
  • Make a new txt file and paste the following in it:
  • Replace name with what you want DS_GAME to be called
  • Put the icon you want for it to be in "_dsdtwoplug" and make it 40x42 pixel 16-bit bmp file and call it "dstwo_game.bmp"
  • If you don't want to edit the icon just delete the line with "icon="
  • Save the txt file and rename it (completely, like get rid of the .txt part) to "dstwo_game.ini".

Reordering Plugins said:
> Copy the '/dstwoplug/' folder from your flashcard to your PC> Delete all the plugins on the DSTwo flashcard> Copy each plugin 'set' - consisting of bmp/ini/nds (or plg) - over one-at-a-time, in the order you want them to show on the plugin screenSo if you want the order of 'DS_game, GBA Emulator, Moonshell, iReader'- Copy from your PC to the DSTwo, all the 'DS_Game' files first (DS_Game.bmp/ini)- THEN copy over the GBA emulator files (gba.plg/bmp/ini)- THEN copy over the Moonshell files (moonshell.nds/bmp/ini)- Finally copy over the iReader (iReader.plg/bmp/ini)

Media

Links

Credits

• PharaohsVizier - Reference
  • Another World - CPU Info
  • nl255 - How to make multiple guides info
  • coattails - Returning to plugin menu via DS_GAME, and new game_config.txt link
  • Windaga - Creating the "Real Time Guide" guide.
That's it! If you have any more question feel free to ask them here or at this thread:http://gbatemp.net/t229126-supercard-dstwo...ssion-questions

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
I thought xcdjy wanted to do this, but whatever. Nice work! I'll request a sticky right now!
wink.gif

Thanks, in all honesty I made it because of your topic. I needed to have answer to a few questions and I looked at your topic, it did answer my question but I had to wade through 15 pages of other stuff (I didn't want to ask the same question twice by accident).

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
not even the old OS? i dont care what people say, but the old OS is second to one at loading homebrew. where can i get a bigger icon of this. >>>
icon37.gif

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice FAQ, it's pretty useful to those looking to buy a DSTWO or those who don't know what to do with it after taking it out of the box.

I just want to point out that you can also return to the plugin menu after going into the DS_GAME menu by pressing B a couple of times.

There's also a newer version of the game_config.txt file which adds compatibility for some japanese roms.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
coattails said:
Nice FAQ, it's pretty useful to those looking to buy a DSTWO or those who don't know what to do with it after taking it out of the box.

I just want to point out that you can also return to the plugin menu after going into the DS_GAME menu by pressing B a couple of times.

There's also a newer version of the game_config.txt file which adds compatibility for some japanese roms.

Thanks for that, I'll add both of those to the FAQ.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
One little tip/bug that I think should be mentioned

Under
Q:How do I remove different plug-ins from the start up menu?
there should be a note/warning that IF you have less than 5 plugins in the folder you'll end up with orange '?' icons with no names above them

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
One little tip/bug that I think should be mentioned

Under
Q:How do I remove different plug-ins from the start up menu?
there should be a note/warning that IF you have less than 5 plugins in the folder you'll end up with orange '?' icons with no names above them

Well that's how it was for me anyways when I originally had my DSTwo (it didn't have the slot-1 or slot-2 boot plugins). I don't think it's a bug, it's just more of a minor annoyance.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks like you can have more than 7 guides. I just tested it with 1-9 and you can scroll down past 7. I still haven't tried 0 yet though.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have more than 10 guides, it seems. When labeling a game file, it like this:

"Tetris DS.01.txt"
"Tetris DS.02.txt"
"Tetris DS.03.txt"

etc. I've only tested it with 12 so far, but it seems to be working just fine.

It's also interesting to note that, if one of your text files is empty, DSTWO won't load it. It's not a bad thing, at all - but it's something worth noting. I'm going to try the .bmp images to see if it works with the .01 method. If it does, then I don't think we have a limit on our guides, which is awesome.

Edit
Ok, here's a guide on how to use images (with pictures!). Just did a quick write up:

QUOTE said:
How to view images in DSTwo's Guide

2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file as "GameName.01.bmp"
example1qk.png

(where "GameName" is the exact name of your .NDS file you are creating the guide for.)

example2mn.png

Reminders:
-Make sure your image name is the EXACT name of your .NDS file.

-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.01.bmp, GameName.02.bmp, GameName.16.bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.01.txt, GameName.02.txt, GameName.16.txt

-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course. It can be found in Terminator02's Topic, as well.

The Coding said:
Code:
[quote][b]How to view images in DSTwo's Guide[/b]

2.Go to "File - Save As"
3. Save your file asÂÂ"[b]GameName.01.bmp[/b]"
[img]http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9226/example1qk.png[/img]

[img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4808/example2mn.png[/img]

[b]Reminders:[/b]
-Make sure your image name is the EXACT name of your .NDS file. 

-You can have any number of saved images and text files - there is no current limit. Just be sure to label your image files "GameName.[b]01[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]02[/b].bmp, GameName.[b]16[/b].bmp, etc., and your text files "GameName.[b]01[/b].txt, GameName.[b]02[/b].txt, GameName.[b]16[/b].txt

-You can have a mix of .txt files and .bmp files. I have 16 Text files and 16 image files for one game and they all work fine.[/quote]

That's the text. Just copy and paste it (without the code tags, of course
tongue.gif
)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Got another 'hint & tip'for you if you want it
A couple of people have been asking on how to re-order the 'plugins' on other threads

This is what I've been telling them
QUOTE said:
> Copy the '/dstwoplug/' folder from your flashcard to your PC
> Delete all the plugins on the DSTwo flashcard
> Copy each plugin 'set' - consisting of bmp/ini/nds (or plg) - over one-at-a-time, in the order you want them to show on the plugin screen

So if you want the order of 'DS_game, GBA Emulator, Moonshell, iReader'
- Copy from your PC to the DSTwo, all the 'DS_Game' files first (DS_Game.bmp/ini)
- THEN copy over the GBA emulator files (gba.plg/bmp/ini)
- THEN copy over the Moonshell files (moonshell.nds/bmp/ini)
- Finally copy over the iReader (iReader.plg/bmp/ini)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo