• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
USA have a history of wiping out whole countries and executing their leaders using fake news as an excuse, so it's ok.
thats kinda their thing since about 100 years but when you have an economy simply running on war youre always looking for the next "confrontation" and sometimes there isnt someone who wants to be invaded so something has to be made up

• Sad
Reactions: tabzer

idontgetit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US isn't starting this fight, nor would we be involved with it directly.

I sincerely have no idea what you're talking about. Are you suggesting Ukraine has done anything to deserve these hostilities? Because they most certainly have not. This is about as black and white as scenarios get when it comes to geopolitics.
NATO wants missiles on the Ukranian border. Putin told them to stop. And they didnt.

"Putin laid out a series of bold security demands that would not only stop NATO’s expansion to the east but push it back, viewing the drift of former Communist countries and Soviet republics into Washington’s orbit as an existential threat to Russia. Though there was some dialogue on lower-level issues, the central demands were deemed nonstarters by the U.S. and its NATO allies."

You're bad at Civilization

Dark Ronin

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ukraine have bombed Donbass, Donetsk and Lugansk through these 8 years, killing dozens of civilians, so yes, their fight squadrons totally deserve this. Civilian casualities is a bad thing though.

Reactions: KuntilanakMerah

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ukraine have bombed Donbass, Donetsk and Lugansk through these 8 years, killing dozens of civilians, so yes, their fight squadrons totally deserve this. Civilian casualities is a bad thing though.
They were fighting Russian imperialism then, and they're fighting Russian imperialism now. The only thing they deserve is unlimited success in their campaign against a dictator and war criminal.

Putin bombed Russian civilians in a false flag attack to get where he is now, never forget that.

Reactions: JeepX87 and pustal

Dark Ronin

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
They were fighting Russian imperialism then, and they're fighting Russian imperialism now. The only thing they deserve is unlimited success in their campaign against a dictator and war criminal.

Putin bombed Russian civilians in a false flag attack to get where he is now, never forget that.
They bombed civilian cities then and now, not regular army or Imperialism.

Reactions: KuntilanakMerah

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They bombed civilian cities then and now, not regular army or Imperialism.
Nah sounds like more of Putin's false flag bullshit. He's been playing these games with peoples' lives ever since he was in the KGB. Only things he truly cares about are money and power, that should've been obvious the second he declared himself dictator for life.

Reactions: pustal

Dranter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah sounds like more of Putin's false flag bullshit. He's been playing these games with peoples' lives ever since he was in the KGB. Only things he truly cares about are money and power, that should've been obvious the second he declared himself dictator for life.
Likely civilians did die. Likely children did die. Are they nazi-style nationalists in Ukraine? - yes. Why were they legitimised though? - 2014 when Crimea was taken, Donbas and Lughansk region thought they can try the same. However Crimea was much more strategic (is) to Russia than those regions and the two probably weren't being planned on being annexed. Population went for it though and tried seceding. As any normal country would do when a bunch of people try that they went to war / fighting. Civilians die for sure. The Above battalion (Nazis according to Russia) were legitimised in the regular army back then because the regular Ukrainian army was MEGA unprepared for any sort of military action. It was an inevitable course of action, which gave cannon fodder to Russian propaganda. Currently both sides can in theory claim they are 'right' and can justify their actions in a way. Who started first however - personal opinion is Russia with Crimea taking advantage of a disorganised country back during the Maidan days. To me it was absurd that any country can steal territory IN EUROPE in 2014. Truth is these are brotherly nations with similar history and culture. Its and absolute SHAME what is happening. Its 2022... we should be above this sh*t as a species. History however proves once again to be cyclical and people to repeat their mistakes. This region will simmer for years to come. What's even scarier is the prospect of the whole civilised world being dragged into a war. For me specifically as im very close to this region. (one country border away from Ukraine and I see actual refugees on the streets. I haven't seen them walking in columns piss poor or anything, they actually come in expensive cars but obviously not all and regardless their lives are a mess)

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Likely civilians did die. Likely children did die. Are they nazi-style nationalists in Ukraine? - yes.
True, there are nazi-style nationalists just about anywhere you go, and I can't rule out the possibility that they were solely responsible for those crimes. At the same time, I can't rule out the possibility that they were hired by Putin, either. After all, he does have a lot of nazi-style nationalists in the Russian military, as they're the most likely to follow criminal orders such as targeting civilians.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Absolutely stunning that the partition of Russia was discussed a few pages back.
Maybe I need to explain it in gaming terms: remember the martyrdom perk in Call of Duty? Russia has one that takes all of our lives. If you are that reckless with your life, follow Zelensky and pick up a rifle. But please don´t drag the world into this. I want to experience BOTW2 and Smash Ultimate Ultimate.

Dranter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
True, there are nazi-style nationalists just about anywhere you go, and I can't rule out the possibility that they were solely responsible for those crimes. At the same time, I can't rule out the possibility that they were hired by Putin, either. After all, he does have a lot of nazi-style nationalists in the Russian military, as they're the most likely to follow criminal orders such as targeting civilians.
They are called the AzovBatallion. Google them. Some of them are very hardline. EXTREMELY unlikely that they were hired by Putin. They are very Ukraine Nationalistic and anti-russia. The issue is they were legitimised by being absorbed into regular army. If you are US and anti-trump imagine proud boys being their own actual unit in the army. Similar to that. This is propaganda fodder for Russia but was an inevitable move.

Crimes are exaggerated. Back then and now. But people and children have died for sure. But that's what happens when you arm yourself and declare your own country I guess.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely stunning that the partition of Russia was discussed a few pages back.
Maybe I need to explain it in gaming terms: remember the martyrdom perk in Call of Duty? Russia has one that takes all of our lives. If you are that reckless with your life, follow Zelensky and pick up a rifle. But please don´t drag the world into this. I want to experience BOTW2 and Smash Ultimate Ultimate.
Mutually assured destruction holds, otherwise we'd all be dead already. Besides, with how poorly the rest of Russia's military equipment has apparently been maintained, it wouldn't surprise me if at least half of their nukes are non-functional. The rest would likely be easy to sabotage in case of real emergency (Putin's cheese slides all the way off his cracker, so to speak).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!