• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already knew the general outline of all of this, but I appreciate the exact percentages I suppose. Reading between the lines, it sounds an awful lot like you agreeing with me that a good portion of Putin's motivations were in pursuit of capital gain, and I appreciate that as well.
I don’t know how you get that out of what I said. Those are all imperialistic pursuits that are aimed specifically at solidifying the Russian Federation’s position as a global superpower in areas other than nuclear capability. It’s a pursuit of power - Putin doesn’t have to pursue wealth, he’s the dictator of Russia, he can already have whatever he pleases.
Nah, it ultimately cripples your ability to see the forest for the trees. More plainly: right-wing economists always favor short-term gains for the few over long-term stability and a rising tide for all. The more money and resources you inject into the middle and lower classes, the stronger the economy becomes, because that money actually gets spent rather than sitting stagnant in an offshore bank account. Have the public sector take care of healthcare, education, and the justice system, and that money gets spread around even more. "Compassionate capitalism" still has its flaws, but it's far better than the "sociopath capitalism" trajectory that the US has been on at times lately.
Math doesn’t care about feelings. Enjoy the growing deficit and exploding inflation. If you’re looking for a rising tide of prosperity, you’re looking in the wrong places.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Cool of China that they now have said they don't support russia in any way
they even have shown videos showing russia killing innocent people from Ukraine

In any way is maybe a little over exaggerated

Last edited by UnderJinx,

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hope China didn't support russian soldiers with their food rations.
So there is a chance that they will begin to starve before they do more damage

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by djpannda,
Reactions: AncientBoi

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Enjoy the growing deficit
I guess this the time to give the reminder that there is nothing backing the us dollar or a lot of currencies in the modern day. It's a construct humans made. Which I should add, the United states goverment keeps increasing the deficit budget. Has there been any negative consequences? If your going to say inflation. Inflation directly stems from, well, money, which is a human concept, that if say we threw out the dollar, which would make a deficit meaningless, and perhaps just. Idk... provide people with housing? Food? Water? I mean we already overproduce those things. We aren't in a scarcity society... well until climate change destroys food supplys

When there’s five people in the room and four of them democratically decide to take the belongings of the fifth for themselves, that’s called a mugging.
And when there's one person that owns every single house in a ten mile radius and the rest has to pay that person monthly, because they had more money is what is called landlords.
So your telling me that when the "4" out of 5 people get frustrated the fact this system is bs. Because you were born with a spoon in your mouth, that you essentially get to control a unreasonable amount of space through the power of money. You also get to profit off it. How is that any different from scalping? It rob's the ability for others to have basic necessities. Like housing, since the price is now artificially driven higher for profit. And when there's a loophole (enter rolling houses you own as a landlord into a predatory mortgage that makes banks fuck tons) then you get 2008.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess this the time to give the reminder that there is nothing backing the us dollar or a lot of currencies in the modern day. It's a construct humans made. Which I should add, the United states goverment keeps increasing the deficit budget. Has there been any negative consequences? If your going to say inflation. Inflation directly stems from, well, money, which is a human concept, that if say we threw out the dollar, which would make a deficit meaningless, and perhaps just. Idk... provide people with housing? Food? Water? I mean we already overproduce those things. We aren't in a scarcity society... well until climate change destroys food supplys

And when there's one person that owns every single house in a ten mile radius and the rest has to pay that person monthly, because they had more money is what is called landlords.
So your telling me that when the "4" out of 5 people get frustrated the fact this system is bs. Because you were born with a spoon in your mouth, that you essentially get to control a unreasonable amount of space through the power of money. You also get to profit off it. How is that any different from scalping? It rob's the ability for others to have basic necessities. Like housing, since the price is now artificially driven higher for profit. And when there's a loophole (enter rolling houses you own as a landlord into a predatory mortgage that makes banks fuck tons) then you get 2008.
Guy on the internet figures out what a fiat currency is - give him a clap. Shame that he doesn’t understand how those work. Tune in next time when we learn that the economy is not a zero sum game. You don’t know me and the circumstances of my birth, so cut that out. Listen, this is a thread about the conflict in Ukraine. If your post doesn’t tie into that, perhaps it doesn’t belong.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those are all imperialistic pursuits that are aimed specifically at solidifying the Russian Federation’s position as a global superpower in areas other than nuclear capability.
Yes...specifically the area of global trade, and even more specifically an increased involvement in the global private sector. There is nothing more capitalist than an oligarch, as they're basically corporations unto themselves.
Math doesn’t care about feelings. Enjoy the growing deficit and exploding inflation. If you’re looking for a rising tide of prosperity, you’re looking in the wrong places.
Lol, as if the deficit wasn't growing and inflation wasn't exploding simply due to all our annual corporate handouts. Take literally a fraction of that and invest it in the working class instead, we'd have a much stronger and more sustainable economy that doesn't crash once every decade. We can look at Poland or just about any EU member nation for confirmation of that.

I bet this long winded responses makes you feel like you've got some big dick energy, huh?
Not sure how one would convey that through text. It's fairly average if you're really that curious, but I am straight and I don't date alt-reich weridos. Sorry.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: KingVamp

idontgetit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people in this thread still coping or did they notice Saudi Arabia is looking at the Yuan over the dollar?

You guys thought Russia would ceasefire because of the Funko pop sanctions

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The Saudis are not considering the Yuan over the USD. They are considering to sell their oil to China (which account for one fourth of their exports) in Yuan instead of USD.

This challenge to the USD is very dangerous to the world. Russia lashes out against its neighbors when it feels its existence is threatened. The US lash out against the world if they feel their money is threatened (see Gadafi and Hussein).

Reactions: idontgetit

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When pirates are more eithical than the Kremlin

The Kremlin unblocked a torrent site so Russians can watch movies - so the site has banned Russians from using it

but I do feel like it was a lost chance to Trick Russians to watch whats really happening by just changing the file names
Russian:: "YEs the new Batman" screen turn turn to Ukrainian hospital being bombed and Russian POWs telling the Truth.
*blink *

Wait... That's a weird turn of events.

I get the reasoning, but what kind of message does this give?

*site *: "hey, guys... We've got lots of hacks and warez here... But it's only available for you if it's illegal. We don't want nobody to come here legally! "

But I somewhat agree outright banning Russians wouldn't be the thing I'd do...

I'd put up banners and captcha images of the war:
* please click on all images containing Ukrainian shot buildings to continue
* click here to prove you're not a robot or someone mindlessly following Russian state tv
* please wait before downloading until 60 new children have become refugees

Yes, it's tasteless and morbid. But ey... The Kremlin allows Russians to go there, so...

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe both things can be true? Does one forgive the other? No.
That's just muddying the waters though. Russia are invading Ukraine and currently targeting civilians in specific. It'd be silly to believe Ukrainians would be attacking their own people in the middle of that without some solid sourcing, especially after all the bullshit claims the Kremlin has made in the midst of all this. They even made a deepfake video of Zeleskyy surrendering.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's just muddying the waters though. Russia are invading Ukraine and currently targeting civilians in specific. It'd be silly to believe Ukrainians would be attacking their own people in the middle of that without some solid sourcing, especially after all the bullshit claims the Kremlin has made in the midst of all this. They even made a deepfake video of Zeleskyy surrendering.
I have no problem with muddy water, it's good for your immune system.

I also don't think they are doing it right now as it would make little sense to me, but I do know they have done it plenty over the last 8 years so it's not like they are squeaky clean individuals.

Reactions: Xzi and tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I also don't think they are doing it right now as it would make little sense to me, but I do know they have done it plenty over the last 8 years so it's not like they are squeaky clean individuals.
Right, and if the videos he's posting are from 2014 or something, they hardly have anything to do with the topic at hand, now do they? Just more whataboutism. If and when Ukraine starts bombing Russia's hospitals and schools indiscriminately, then we can make some apples to apples comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://kotaku.com/pokemon-trading-card-tcg-ai-art-illustration-contest-1851559041