The real reason why Piracy kills Gaming

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
When all you do is play games (and especially the same genre of game from the same devs) over and over, of course you will get tired of games and won't be able to enjoy playing for more than a couple minutes. That happens with everything, be it books, anime, etc.. Do too much of something and you will get sick of it! The trick that works best for me is to occasionally go back to older games (as in GBA games for example or even NDS/PSP if I want something more recent) that are different (for example I'll stop with RPGs/FPSs and go play a platformer). That way, I don't get tired AS much and can actually enjoy the games. However, it's important to keep in mind that I do that while also not playing that much to begin with. Get a life, if you choose to be a gamer, you aren't choosing to have no life, you are choosing to have many, otherwise you are simply an addict, go out, get a life and have games as another side of your schedule for when you want to have some fun times:P

PS: Piracy not only helps gaming, but also allows us to not give a single cent to the asstards that only want money for a SAMPLE of a game despite asking the full price.

Last edited by ThoD,
Reactions: JellyPerson
D

Deleted-442439

I am sorry but I really can't feel sympathy for this, it is such a first world problem that it is close to being a parody.

I have experienced this "pirate syndrome" myself, but thats my own fault not piracy itself.

Gaming is also not dying, the profits and amount of active gamers have never been higher, the industry is still showing strong growth.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When all you do is play games (and especially the same genre of game from the same devs) over and over, of course you will get tired of games and won't be able to enjoy playing for more than a couple minutes. That happens with everything, be it books, anime, etc.. Do too much of something and you will get sick of it! The trick that works best for me is to occasionally go back to older games (as in GBA games for example or even NDS/PSP if I want something more recent) that are different (for example I'll stop with RPGs/FPSs and go play a platformer). That way, I don't get tired AS much and can actually enjoy the games. However, it's important to keep in mind that I do that while also not playing that much to begin with. Get a life, if you choose to be a gamer, you aren't choosing to have no life, you are choosing to have many, otherwise you are simply an addict, go out, get a life and have games as another side of your schedule for when you want to have some fun times:P

PS: Piracy not only helps gaming, but also allows us to not give a single cent to the asstards that only want money for a SAMPLE of a game despite asking the full price.

he's asking himself why he pirates games when he had no desire to play them before he pirated them.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you want to want to play video games? Just wait til a game comes out that you actually want to play. Then you'll actually want to play it. Download 50 copies of Mario raving rabbits but you're still not going to want to press start to play. Don't download sucky garbage games it's dumb. Barbies dream house mansion is not worth playing just because you can

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you want to want to play video games? Just wait til a game comes out that you actually want to play. Then you'll actually want to play it. Download 50 copies of Mario raving rabbits but you're still not going to want to press start to play. Don't download sucky garbage games it's dumb. Barbies dream house mansion is not worth playing just because you can

the last game i really wanted to play was Final Fantasy 15, and since that game I havent been feeling right when it comes to games

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the last game i really wanted to play was Final Fantasy 15, and since that game I havent been feeling right when it comes to games
I don't like playing video games really. I have a short attention span and as soon as a game gives me trouble i drop it like a bad habbit. Right now the only game I'm looking forward to at this point is prime 4.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually you don't end up playing all your games, but you tend to play the ones that interest you the most. It would be silly to hope to play all of them. Under normal circumstances you would buy one game and play that. So each time you get into a pirated game that you care about, its like playing a game that you bought. Piracy gives you access to more games, but it doesn't mean you will play more than one game at once compared to average consumers. As long as you got to play the games you enjoyed playing, you're doing the right thing for yourself. As a consumer, you aren't interested in every game which is why you won't buy most games in the first place. As a pirate, you download games that are "Sort've" interesting but not really something you're totally into and just wanted to try it out. So in reality, there's VERY few games that you're actually interested in out of all those pirated games.

Piracy syndrome makes you feel like you've grown out of games. But that's never the case, you still like video games. You're just waiting for the next big interest, a game that you truly want to play. What I do on my 3DS is make a folder called "Playing now" then put all the games I want to start playing. This way I can get a better idea of what I want to play instead of looking through a big mix of games. As you said earlier, set a goal towards a game and play that. As in, collect a few games and make those your next interests to play next.

Life definitely plays a big role here as you're required to constantly be busy with work or school. It's a mixture of being busy in life, on top of being overwhelmed by your games collection and not figuring out what you want to play. If you look at your games as a whole, you'll never find something to play. You have to scan through your games and plan what you want to play next. Sometimes the game you decide on ends up not being worth your time. Some will hate me for this, but by the time I finished Radiant Historia I regretted ever playing it at all. The game drags on forever and lasted me 60+ hours. My friend told me "You don't have to finish a game because you feel like you have to. But do it because you actually want to." So basically play what you actually want to play, not what you feel like you have to play. For example, if you aren't interested in Fortnite, you probably shouldn't force yourself to play it. But this isn't always true because I used to hate minecraft, but a friend got me into the game and introduced me to the mechanics and I fell in love ever since.

Anyways good luck finding your next game to play. It's okay to test play games too, you dont have to finish anything to be considered having fun.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason is very simple:
With piracy you can install any game you want !
You may find this great ! But actually no !

When you've too many games to play, but no desire to play them.

Have you ever felt this?
This is the reason why piracy may lead to the death of your desire to play video games..

This isn't a piracy-exclusive problem. The same thing happens to people who buy a bunch of Steam games on sale and never play them. I also got the same way when I started collecting old games which I can get for cheap since they're Japanese. I've had DKC3 for a few months and haven't touched it yet.

TL;DR - It's not piracy, it's just being human.

When I was a kid, my mom would take me to this video rental store, one of those little ones, not blockbuster. We would rent an NES or SNES game just about every few days. This was around the time NES games were starting to die out and SNES and Genesis were taking off. The owner talks to my mom one day and says "I've got all these NES games that people have brought back saying they don't work. Could your son test these for me and see if it's just their consoles?" After that, I was handed about 6 different games every 3 days. I was in heaven, but I ended up getting this "Piracy Syndrome" you guys are talkin about. I would play one to test it, then lose interest, and try the next one. Only a few were actually broken yet I still didn't play any of them all the way through.

My point is, it's not just piracy, it happens when you have an over-abundance of something whether it's video games or toys or whatever. Steam is a good example too. Anyone here have gigantic library of games on Steam but haven't even started half of them? You bought them. You didn't pirate them. Yet you still don't play them.
The broad term for this is "Choice Paralysis". When having too many choices impedes your ability to make a decision. It's something sales people or tech support learns about early, because if you give a customer too many options on how to resolve something, they will have greater trouble coming to a final decision. Give yourself 2-3 choices at most and the issue will mostly go away.

Reactions: MattKimura

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if the Wii, DS, 3DS, OG Xbox, 360, PSP, PS3, etc. are anything to go by, piracy doesn't really kill gaming at all. Those systems all went on to be very successful, despite being hacked like crazy.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this is a real thing. "Piracy Syndrome" is really easy to come by, even just from something like a steam sale or a large disposable income. This is why I wait to get at least 50% through any game I buy before buying another one, with the exception of "repeating" games like Roguelikes and multiplayer-only games.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you play the game for a bit and dont want to keep playing thats probably cause the game isnt very good. A good game should keep you engaged, at least for like half an hour at a time.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying too many games or playing a very grindy game can have the same effect. I have 500 hours of playtime in Xenoblade 2 where I barely have less than 5 hours in BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon.
Piracy gives you that urge to collect as many games out there, but by the time you have what you need you can't focus on actually completing any of them

Perestroika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

Have you ever felt this?
This is the reason why piracy may lead to the death of your desire to play video games..

Not piracy does this! It's Steam's fault! Every game I ever wanted is in my library and ..... ???

I have too many games to play, but no desire (and time) to play them.

QED

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica

Have you ever felt this?
Sigh what your trying to say isn't new not my a long shot piracy has been going on from the days of floppy disk and and what do you have been saying someone else had said back in the day a floppy disk but that was way before I was born and o just tuned 29 and guess what they are still game I don't know why people are still going on about this the folks who like to Pirate games we're never going to buy the games in the first place so there is no money being lost and the ones that do buy games usually buy used games so that doesn't go in the developers pocket I buy some of my games new I buy some used and yes I also pirate games I don't know why people are trying to make their morals others morals some people the worst thing they do is pirate a game small people that are complaining about piracy do way worse than pirate games so b4 anyone start talking about what others are doing make sure that you're doing everything right 100% of the time in your life for the rest of your life if not you have no room to talk but who care what I think I say live and let live

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Nah, if I don't want to play certain games, its only cause my bar is too high. And high bar is quite a burden. While everybody drool over a stupid game with moronic gameplay and lobotomic plots, you just can see through it too clearly. *cough-coughunchartedgowff15etccough-cough*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay