Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

missfabb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's your opinion. pokemon is amazing. point blank, period. get over yourself. like all video games, pokemon was made to entertain people. if people are entertained by it, then good. if you're not, then fuck off & just don't play it 'cause no one really cares what you think.
gbasp.gif

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lelouch said:
The only thing I like about this thread is the OP's user name.

Ahaha, so true!

Though I do think Pokemon is nice,
It's just...I dunno...kinda boring.
I hate caves in Pokemon games, and considering the fact that there're a lot of caves in Pokemon SoulSilver,
I think I'd rather beat retro Game Challenge (Which is awesome BTW).

D

Deleted User

The Pink Cat Boy said:
Did you just call Mario overrated?
Lol, I hope this bit was a little joke and you do actually realise how overhyped the Mario franchise is.

Redwolfeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

I honestly have to disagree with you logic.

I am 17, and have always enjoyed the Pokémon francise. I am not a fanboy as I do not obsess myself with the series, I only play the games, on the handheld consoles.

As for you saying that there is no games on the DS worth playing...
There are many to play, I could list the most popular but I'm afraid I don't have the time, as it would take quite a while.

I'm guessing that the only games you prefer are the hyped up games on the Xbox360 or the Playstation?
I'm guessing that there isn't one game that Nintendo has produced that you enjoy?

jmido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree but the reason these games are so popular and the reason why I like them is because they are "overly simplistic".. Sometimes you just want to load a game and play without having to learn or know all 10000x components to the game.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been resisting writing a response, but oh well.
I'd just like to make it clear that I do not mean to say that there are no good games on DS, this is very defiantly not true. But I do feel their growth is slightly stifled when they are so needlessly overshadowed by already established games. I'd also like people to know that currently the only platforms I own are my linux eee 701 pc, iphone(if it counts) a ds lite, GBA SP, GB Pocket, a wii and a ps2 and I certainly am not in favour of games such as Halo and COD4, but hey have a place a FPS's and they fill that slot in the market very well.

One thing that seems to have got a lot of peoples goat is my comment on Mario being overrated. I'd argue this undeniable when it comes to NSMB wii and also NSMB DS, they needlessly constrict themselves and whilst showing odd glimpses of originality they are pathetic in comparison to Galaxy (Still very very slightly overrate IMO, but hey!). I felt that on the wii for example a game like Zac and Wiki was so overshadowed by the hype of other games that this great title was missed out on by almost all (despite the valiant attempts of a view reviews )

I still love the old pokemon games, but now I feel they are to formulaic. To those who ask "if I say X about pokemon why are their new fans?", my answer is that it is because they are getting the same fun out of Platinum etc, that I did out of my first pokemon game (blue).

I may have been over the top about "the death of hand-held gaming" but you have to be overly dramatic on forums to get noticed, sure some'lll flame and some'll troll (Hey the odd troll is fun once in a while) but really Im quite pleased by the number of measured responses. Still Mario is so overrated. And Code Geass FTW.

shlong said:
he hasn't replied for quite a while, i think he's given up and accepted that pkmn kixass

I'm sorry maybe I only come on once or twice a day! Do I need to be on non-stop!
Silly Shlong!
lecture.gif
(big as trees)

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CC/C.Geass said:
I'd just like to make it clear that I do not mean to say that there are no good games on DS, this is very defiantly not true. But I do feel their growth is slightly stifled when they are so needlessly overshadowed by already established games. I'd also like people to know that currently the only platforms I own are my linux eee 701 pc, iphone(if it counts) a ds lite, GBA SP, GB Pocket, a wii and a ps2 and I certainly am not in favour of games such as Halo and COD4, but hey have a place a FPS's and they fill that slot in the market very well.

One thing that seems to have got a lot of peoples goat is my comment on Mario being overrated. I'd argue this undeniable when it comes to NSMB wii and also NSMB DS, they needlessly constrict themselves and whilst showing odd glimpses of originality they are pathetic in comparison to Galaxy (Still very very slightly overrate IMO, but hey!). I felt that on the wii for example a game like Zac and Wiki was so overshadowed by the hype of other games that this great title was missed out on by almost all (despite the valiant attempts of a view reviews )

I still love the old pokemon games, but now I feel they are to formulaic. To those who ask "if I say X about pokemon why are their new fans?", my answer is that it is because they are getting the same fun out of Platinum etc, that I did out of my first pokemon game (blue).

I may have been over the top about "the death of hand-held gaming" but you have to be overly dramatic on forums to get noticed, sure some'lll flame and some'll troll (Hey the odd troll is fun once in a while) but really Im quite pleased by the number of measured responses. Still Mario is so overrated. And Code Geass FTW.
I understand what you mean about games being overshadowed and not well known game franchises. For example, Little Kings Story was a great game but didnt sell very well, so the creators (guys who also made hotel dusk) cing, went down

Redwolfeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reading back my post, I realised how much of a biased butt I sounded. I'm sorty if you took offence as one thing I belieave in is freedom of speech and one's expression of opinions.

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bik75 said:
I still love the old pokemon games, but
I understand what you mean about games being overshadowed and not well known game franchises. For example, Little Kings Story was a great game but didnt sell very well, so the creators (guys who also made hotel dusk) cing, went down

spot on! I love hotel dusk and little king story, both have an annoying minor flaw (the controls) but only minor. I have both and enjoy them both. I got little king story and nsmb on the same day I've played so much more little king story and enjoyed it so much more.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with your post isn't that you're saying your opinion, your just being plain insulting and thus trolling. I could have easily expressed my disdain towards anything in a way that doesn't say such hatespeech such as "The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing... " and "Such trash should not be supported". You obviously wrote this in such a context to provoke Pokemon fans into going off on a blind tangent simply so you could make some whitty response to sound "smart" and as a "non-conformist". I see it happen all the time. People come on here spouting hatespeech, other people get pissy, and the OP acts all proud of themselves because of how "unique" they are and how good they sound when they beat down terrible fanboy logic. Non-conformity is now the new thing to conform to.

While I agree Pokemon is running on empty, it's still a massive game with great amounts of content and play hours. It's been Nintendo's "killer app" for handhelds and still is. Most people buy Nintendo DS's just to play Pokemon. The same deal was with the GBA or the GBC. Hell, I bought a GBA solely to play Pokemon and I put 100's of hours into that game.

Quesenek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:

shlong said:
he hasn't replied for quite a while, i think he's given up and accepted that pkmn kixass

I'm sorry maybe I only come on once or twice a day! Do I need to be on non-stop!
Silly Shlong!
lecture.gif
(big as trees)
I have to say you are right. I really don't get that same effect from the DS games as I did for the GB&GBA games. On another note, I was looking at the Platinum Bible of a guide and to be honest I cannot say the 3rd and 4th gen (4th gen to an extent) are really Pokemon... Its hard to explain but, when looking at all of them you can just pick out some that just don't fit.
Point is Man do I wish I was a kid again lol.

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
If I wanted story I would play other RPGs such as Final Fantasy (only one I can think of atm), if I wanted a game that has a deep, complex battle system with a solid metagame that changes in some way every game, and a new addition to the battle system every generation, keeping it fresh and exciting, I would play Pokemon, because Pokemon is a game that focuses more on playing with friends as well as other players around the world (hence why you can receive Japanese or other foreign Pokemon that retain their native game's name).

What makes Pokemon so great is the complex battle system and interaction with other fans of the franchise. The story is nothing more than filler crap that gives you a better understanding of the battle mechanics as well as entertain you for a bit, and then once the main story is complete, you move on to the end game content and multiplayer aspect, which is where the game really takes off. While the basic storyline has remained the same, if its not broken, don't fix it.

QUOTE said:
Story of a Pokemon game:

Chase a friend down some path.
Meet a professor who gives you your first Pokemon
Tell Mom your leaving
Go on an adventure
Defeat your now ex-friend who wants to kick your a**
Play some group of badies at some big corporation type building
Defeat Elite Four/Five
Rinse and Repeat

Same exact story line time and time again, very very boring, oh, my bad, I forgot to add, they add in some 5 year olds drawing and give it some random name and says that is the newest pokemon, and the reason for the new version.

Alright, so your reasons for not liking Pokemon is that fact that it has the same basic story, which like I stated before, is really only tacked on to give players a better understanding of the game mechanics and possibly entertain you for a bit till you move to post game content such is a wifi battling without much restriction, or the battle frontier challenge.

If you are gonna rag on Pokemon, that's fine, but it would be appreciated if you and everyone else that shares your view would focus on what the series is all about, battling and trading, which really has no faults to begin with as you have the choice of so many Pokemon each generation and items, which results in a lot of strategies that keep the game fresh.

Porygonal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol If you wanna know a game with a REALLY crappy story just try Shaq Fu,ugh... Then it'll make any Pokemon story look like deep and innovative,besides,I'm sure most people know what they're getting into when they play a Pokemon game if they played any Pokemon game once before... Um,Porygon is kewl!^^ And I do think Mario is kinda overrated too,but still like Mario tennis and any Mario Kart game(especially Double Dash).Yes,the gameplay of Pokemon can get repetitive after awhile... but when that happens I usually just go play something else for awhile,then go back to it.No big deal.And ATLEAST they've changed it up a little over the years with having team battles and such,atleast it's not like the DW games where there are already 5 or 6 of them with pretty much no change in gameplay whatsoever,lol.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hate feeding a troll, but what the hell.
Y'know, Pokemon isn't that bad of a game. At least, not Heart Gold/Soul Silver, as it's simple, yet powerful. The game keeps you interested. Like any other RPG, yes the battles are similar and often repetitive, but that's what an RPG is. Get used to it.

With that said, go play some Guitar Hero, or whatever the hell it is you trolls play in comparison to a solid RPG or two.

CharmingLugia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

Africans speak english?
cla cla clu cla?
cla cle cls?
I thought it was clicks

CC/C.Geass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
IamUrGod said:
Africans speak english?
cla cla clu cla?
cla cle cls?
I thought it was clicks
Wow... Seriously troll, fine, but this... Ugh
QUOTE(Skyline969 @ Mar 16 2010, 06:20 AM) I hate feeding a troll

NOM NOM NOM SANDVICH!

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrostemp said:
i remember watching the first episode in english *cringe* when i was 9 and now that the origanal japanese version is being subbing im watching that too. I got pokemon cards when they came out and got a shiny charizard in my first pack.
i started playing pokemon yellow and went straight to crystal and from then on i've gotten every pokemon game released
Man the first episode of Pokemon is a work of art. I can rewatch parts of it on Youtube especially the part with Pikachu it makes you cry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1