The Pokemon Company is looking to hire those with NFT, metaverse, and blockchain experience

sdasd.png

The Pokemon Company has drawn the ire and attention of many, with a new job posting that is actively seeking employees with experience in uncharted territory for the Pokemon franchise. The hiring page shows that The Pokemon Company International wants to hire staff that has "deep knowledge and understanding of Web 3, [...] blockchain technologies, NFT, and/or metaverse. They also appear to be looking for someone who can "connect the relevance of potential partners or technologies with Pokemon's existing assets", which has fans dramatically split between unease and excitement for what this might mean for the future.

The Pokemon Company isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last, in terms of businesses trying to incorporate elements of the blockchain into the video game industry. Despite harsh criticism in the past, Square Enix is still committed to pushing the idea of NFT games. Regardless, outside of the hiring page, nothing involving NFTs has been announced from The Pokemon Company, for now.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not surprised.

With the amount of duping and fake-real generated 'mon out there, it "devalues" (in gf's/nin's eyes) rare or hard to get ones. Additionally Japan is very well known for its draconian laws against modification of software and hardware as well as the resale or distribution of games; modified or not.

They'll probably use the blockchain to give each 'mon and trainer a unique ID to prevent 20 billion shiny charizards from clogging the wonder trade. People also get very picky about if the 'mon they got in a trade was legit or not to the point where communities have begun to vouch/vet people before letting them into trade chats and forums.

NFT, well. Enjoy your Pikachu that is 2% less saturated going for 300,000 dollarydoos or something stupid.

The page linked in the tweet just says "Can't find this page. The job that you are looking for may have expired."
Could be possible that either it got deleted or it's because I'm in the UK.
Still, seems odd.

If this is real then... well, I can't say I'm surprised. Hell, I'm surprised about the fact it took them this long. Although they probably just wanted to wait until the storm of people hating NFTs died down (that storm has moved to AI art now).

It's stupid, obviously, but it also makes some sense like some have said above me.
https://www.google.com/search?ibp=h...AAAAAAA==&htiq=game freak careers&htivrt=jobs

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm suprised this didn't come sooner given the nature of pokemon company/game freak
The same company that has refused to do a pokemon mmorpg, or indeed ARG, for decades now, has a demonstration of its being worth billions thanks to the barest whiff of it people go with pokemon go and is generally quite shameless in their monetisation elsewhere?
Personally I am surprised it is this soon, though the cluelessness of the job posting (assuming it is not a designed to be leaked water test or stock pump*) is delightful in its way.

*the writer of it being out of touch else they would have mentioned AI about 10 times so as to get that sweet buzzword boost.

Anyway back to those whining about NFTs, blockchain and metaverses that assume only what has grabbed the headlines over the last few years is how such things work/have to work/will play out.

Reactions: Kwyjor

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Makes perfect sense for something like Pokémon. Integrating the blockchain would allow for unique ID’s that are impossible to counterfeit and would facilitate trading in and outside of the game. I’d say that’s a good use of the technology.
Nothing that couldn't be done without the drawbacks of the blockchain, Home already does IDs to guard against duplication glitches, but that doesn't help with other cheats however you implement it. As for trading outside of the game...don't really see the point of that, or anything that might make that attractive to the Pokemon Company.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a Canadian and it doesn't work. Tried all browsers and tried my pc and my phone.
Possibly a DNS issue then but it isn't a particularly interesting page.
Here's a screenshot for those curious.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 30

ppivotiiii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm as big of a NFT hater as they come, but in theory Pokemon would be a neat use case to prevent cheated mons.
At least it would be neat if that would not require an always online connection.
Or a way to make sure that wild Pokemon are not tempered with.
Or that it would not block all old Pokemon from being transferred to prevent cheating that way.
Or that they surely will try to profit from this.

RunePhantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes perfect sense for something like Pokémon. Integrating the blockchain would allow for unique ID’s that are impossible to counterfeit and would facilitate trading in and outside of the game. I’d say that’s a good use of the technology.

Sure, this may have been the intended use, but I honestly just don't see a positive application of blockchain tech in games. I'm sure it's got positive uses, and maybe it can be useful in this industry, but I've yet to see it. And if NFTs are involved, it's almost certain that they're going to attempt to use this as a way to generate income.

I'd really rather they just make good games. Sever the ties with Niantic, and let your devs have the time they need to actually build a good experience.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nothing that couldn't be done without the drawbacks of the blockchain, Home already does IDs to guard against duplication glitches, but that doesn't help with other cheats however you implement it. As for trading outside of the game...don't really see the point of that, or anything that might make that attractive to the Pokemon Company.
You “don’t see the point” of platform-agnostic trading with unique hashes that cannot be duplicated, cheats or no cheats? Okay. What drawbacks? The blockchain exists regardless of whether you take advantage of it or not.
Sure, this may have been the intended use, but I honestly just don't see a positive application of blockchain tech in games. I'm sure it's got positive uses, and maybe it can be useful in this industry, but I've yet to see it. And if NFTs are involved, it's almost certain that they're going to attempt to use this as a way to generate income.

I'd really rather they just make good games. Sever the ties with Niantic, and let your devs have the time they need to actually build a good experience.
I’m perfectly fine with using the blockchain for unique assets that can be traded, in any game. Take something like Fallout 4 as an example - every Legendary drop is, to some extent, random - there’s a pool of status effects, looks and other characteristics that make the item unique. If you power that mechanism with the blockchain, those items exist in *and* outside of the game. Take it to a more massive scale, something along the lines of No Man’s Sky, and the advantages become even more apparent. Let’s not pretend we haven’t seen this before, we’ve been trading Diablo items on Battle.Net for years, and all of those are random as well. There’s no shortage of games with built-in economies- MMO’s especially can take advantage of the tech. It’s untapped utility that gamers unnecessarily whinge about - nobody’s forcing anyone to participate. NFT hate is, for the most part, unwarranted. Whether people like it or not, digital ownership protocols are the future, and digital assets are only the testing ground for a technology that will absolutely become a part of our daily life in the foreseeable future.

Just to give *one* example of how Pokémon specifically could utilise this is unique Pokémon forms. It doesn’t take a genius to create a set of assets that get composed into one coherent whole, get a specific skin slapped on it and bam - you have yourself a unique, one-of-a-kind shiny, along with a certificate of ownership that cannot be falsified. It’s easy, and it can be fun if you do it right. Will the Pokémon Company do it right?

…they haven’t done anything right for years, but I digress. I assume they’ll utilise the technology in the most lazy, stupid and uninspired way, following the path of least resistance, as they have for the last n-teen years, if they’ll utilise it at all (Pokémon fans crying on Twitter apparently have more sway than designers, shareholders or just about anyone with a lick of sense in their head).
For that to work, the game should be always connected to a server that generates unique IDs for each pokemon encounter... that, or just making the game fully cloud.

You can't have offline blockchain, and if Nintendo lets players play offline that will allow them to manipulate local data to get counterfeit pokemon...
You can roll for a hash the moment the unit logs on, with some verification checks prior to the ID being assigned. Some cheaters will slip through, but let’s be real - it’s a video game, nobody cares *that* much. Alternatively, only Pokémon caught when you’re online are verified - easy peasy. There’s ways around this problem that don’t take a whole lot of “enginerding” to solve.

Why do I feel like that's not all they're gonna use it for...
Because that’s be a smart use of the technology, and Pokémon games are made so that people who don’t know any better consoom product. You’re right, see above.
This is exactly the kind of thing that web3 was initially developed for. Unique digital tokens that represent a unique digital good s (Pokemon). I get that the kneejerk reaction is to hate anything related to blockchain but this actually makes sense for a pokemon game
We can only hope against hope. Unfortunately we’re also dealing with one of the least creative companies in the industry that’s geared to make the most profit by putting in the least effort, so I have a feeling that’s not going to be it. Collectible Pokémon cards are more likely, even if it’s a huge waste of effort.

Last edited by Foxi4,

trillspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why couldnt gamefreak just generate an unique id for each pokemon and store them on their servers, and bypass the entire need for blockchain & nft's? it'd have the same exact effect

Reactions: jeremy2020

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
why couldnt gamefreak just generate an unique id for each pokemon and store them on their servers, and bypass the entire need for blockchain & nft's? it'd have the same exact effect
Because Nintendo has a long track record of both server security and the ability to verify save data from their own video game.

*Insert the world’s biggest wink here*

Besides, what do you think the blockchain is, exactly? The whole point of it is that it’s distributed rather than centralised. That’s an advantage, not a drawback.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, what the actual fuck?

First Game Freak has us thinking that they've learned absolutely nothing by constantly refusing to improve the game, and actively removing features from new generation games while charging more money.

Next, they then make mandatory paid dlc, and their own subscription service with nothing more than a glorified honor system they lack the credibility to back up, or provide the means to actually transfer or bring our favorites to the obligatory new game.

Now they want to turn pokemon into NFT's? No Fucking Thanks, homie.

Quickly making it seem like Generation VII is going to be the last I'm touching of the franchise. This is all sorts of cursed. This is inexcusable.

trillspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Nintendo has a long track record of both server security and the ability to verify save data from their own video game. Besides, what do you think the blockchain is, exactly? The whole point of it is that it’s distributed rather than centralised. That’s an advantage, not a drawback.
Do you actually think people would commit felony server hacking for cheated pokemon and that this would happen regularly enough that risk of this happening is worth excessive power consumption required to make a decentralized database?

Reactions: jeremy2020

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's a kid's vitamin now!