This week in gaming: Oct. 18

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Hey there, GBAtemp! Have you been craving more than the regular, important, and timely news supplied by GBAtemp's magazine staff? If so, then I've got the answer for you! Starting today, I'll be trying to write bi-weekly articles discussing smaller announcements that don't necessarily belong on the front page with their own thread, but things that are still perhaps worth discussing or taking a look at. Anything from niche game announcements, PC/HD ports, new and interesting rom hacks, release date calendars, is fair game here. Hopefully you all enjoy this, and can give some feedback so that I can improve on these!​

Gaming Industry

Video Game Voice Actors/Actresses go on Strike
    The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (Also known by a more easily written name as SAG-AFTRA) union will potentially be going on strike. This could have an impact on up to 11 different gaming companies, affecting contracts with famous voice actors in video gaming. If SAG-AFTRA is successful, then actors and actresses will be receiving a more "fair" paycheck. If not, then we might be seeing familiar voices (Such as Tara Strong, Steve Blum, Erin Fitzgerald, and many more) in video gaming leaving, and potentially being replaced if they can't reach an agreement. The final date for a decision to be made, and announced, will be on Oct 21.

Some of the larger companies are noted below (more can be found at the source)
    • Activision
    • Electronic Arts
    • Take 2
    • Insomniac Games
    • WB Games
    • Formosa Interactive LLC
    :arrow: SOURCE

United Front Games is Closing Down
    It looks like United Front Games, the studio behind games like Sleeping Dogs and ModNation Racers will be shutting down. The company was originally founded in 2007, based in Vancouver, Canada, and helped develop titles like LittleBigPlanet Karting, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Halo: Master Chief Collection, ModNation Racers, and perhaps their most noteworthy release, Sleeping Dogs. Their latest title, an early access game called Smash+Grab, is no longer available for purchase on Steam, though the store page still exists at the time of writing. United Front's lead producer revealed the studio's closure on Twitter on October 17th.

Assorted News

Citra Boots Pokemon Sun/Moon demo
    The Nintendo 3DS emulator, Citra, has already booted the newest Pokemon demo, and can even upscale into HD, and has xBR texture filtering. For reference, this is the "Bleeding Edge" build. It's nice to see this emulator is coming along nicely!

:arrow: Upscaled Screenshots

Square Enix delays the Vita Demo of World of Final Fantasy, Now Coming Friday
    The demo for World of Final Fantasy was supposed to be available for both PS4 and PSV on Oct 17th. However, for an unexplained reason, Vita users were not able to download it. In response, Square Enix said over Twitter that the demo will be available on the Playstation Store this Friday, October 21st, four days before the game's launch.

:arrow:SOURCE

Pokemon Sun and Moon Announcement Coming on Oct. 27
    Even though there's a month left until Pokemon Sun and Moon hit the shelves, Game Freak is still planning some sort of announcement for the games on October 27th.

Fan Projects

Fan Remakes Link's Awakening in OOT's Engine
    A YouTuber by the name of Ty Anderson is working on remaking the Gameboy Zelda title, Link's Awakening in the 3D engine of Ocarina of Time. Music will be composed by a person with the username Lezg_g. This definitely looks like something to keep a lookout for, when it hopefully gets completed.

Castlevania 1 Remade in UE4
    Dejawolfs has been working on porting the NES classic, Castlevania, to Unreal Engine 4, with new models and all sorts of improvements. The project has been going since March, but he recently uploaded his new progress on the second level of the game. Nice!

Niche Game Annoucements

Dev of "Angry Video Game Nerd" game announces new project
    FreakZone games, the company behind Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures has shown off their latest game, titled Knight Terrors. Knight Terrors is a horror-themed beat 'em up runner game, according to the developer, and players must cut down enemies in "hundreds" of procedural generated levels in order to get a high score. The game is set to release for $2 on Steam, and for free on iOS/Android. There is also a GoFundMe campaign to help fund the project and add extra features should the goal be met.

:arrow: GoFundMe Page

Koei Tecmo to Make a New Attack on Titan Game for Nintendo 3DS
    Japanese gaming magazine, Famitsu, has revealed that Koei Tecmo will be developing another Attack on Titan video game, subtitled Escape from Certain Death, this time on the Nintendo 3DS. Right now, the game is at 30% completion, and there is no set release date at this time.

Scizor to be playable in Pokken Arcade (JP)
    The Bug/Steel Pokemon Scizor is a new playable character in the arcade version of Namco Bandai's Pokken Tournament. It is unknown if this change will be added to the Wii U version at this time.

Star Ocean Gets a Mobile Game
    Square Enix is bringing the Star Ocean series to mobile, with the release of Star Ocean: Anamnesis on iOS and Android. The game will have full-3D real time battles, and feature characters from previous Star Ocean games. Developer tri-ace will be showing off some gameplay videos on October 20th.
    :arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Press Inbox

The Alliance Alive announced for 3DS
    Publisher FuRyu, the company behind last year's JRPG The Legend of Legacy, has announced it's latest game for the 3DS, titled Alliance Alive. The most interesting thing about the game, is that the creator of the classic PS1 JRPG, Suikoden, will be on board as the scenario writer for this game!

Ports

Destroy All Humans! is Coming to PS2onPS4
    The classic game, Destroy All Humans, developed by Pandemic Studios and published by the now-defunct THQ will be coming to the Playstation 4 via the PS2onPS4 emulation.

:arrow: Store Page

Trillion: God of Destruction Coming to PC October 25
    Idea Factory International continues with their PC ports of PS4/Vita titles, with Trillion coming to Steam on Oct. 25 and will have 40% off its list price during the first week of release. You can check out @Prans official review of the Vita version of the game: here

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Gameplay Videos and Trailers

Harvest Moon: Skytree Village

Assassin's Creed Movie Trailer #2

Killing Floor 2 - PS4 Pro Footage

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk

Release Calendar

October 18, 2016
    Exist Archive (PS4, PSV)
    Batman: Return to Arkham (XBO, PS4)
    October 21, 2016
    Battlefield 1 (XBO, PS4, PC)
    Civilization VI (PC)
    Lego Harry Potter Collection (XBO, PS4)
    October 25, 2016
    Dark Souls III DLC - Ashes of Ariandel (XBO, PS4, PC)
    Darksiders: Warmastered (XBO, PS4, PC, Wii U)
    Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (XBO, PS4, PC)
    World of Final Fantasy (PS4, PSV)
    Yomawari Night Alone (PSV, PC) ~GBAtemp Official Review~
    Corpse Party: Back to School (3DS)
    Exile's End (PSV, PS4, PC)
    Batman: Telltale Episode 3 (PC, XBO, PS4, iOS, Android, PS3, 360)
    Tethered (PSVR)
    October 28, 2016
    Skyrim Special Edition (XBO, PS4, PC)
    Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension (PS4, XBO, PC)
    Titanfall 2 (XBO, PS4, PC)
    Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection (XBO, PS4)
    Root Letter (PS4, PSV)

2. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii But wait, there's more!

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Nice! I think this idea will work out great.

Chary likes this.
  3. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Gbatemps 7th foray into a THIS week in gaming project lmao. The flashbacks of Nathan Drake and Ryu projects give me PTSD :wacko:

BORTZ, VinsCool and FrozenIndignation like this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Awesome! Keep it up!

Chary likes this.
  5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wowies, that Castlevania remake looks really neat! Too bad we all know how Konami is gonna respond to it.:(

Chary likes this.
  6. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    tbh everything that gets to the front page should have at least as much content as this thread... not some copy-paste paragraph from Kotaku/etc.

Great job :D

Chary and TheVinAnator like this.
  7. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Thanks. To be specific though, the writers always write their own snippets, and add copy-paste quotes from the developer/publisher, not another news source.

8. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Don't forget about the rumored NX reveal on the 21st bb

Chary likes this.
  9. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Great job @Chary! Really a great feature that I hope continues

Chary likes this.
  10. lilaznkilla

lilaznkilla GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    Australia
    Nice read, going to check out Link's Awakening in OOT's Engine.

btw minor typo, should be Dark Souls III or 3

Chary likes this.
  11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    "Trillion: God of Destruction." No, it's Beerus. Anyways this is a nice way to look at video game news without having to go on various sites, learning new things in the process. Also reminding me to pre-order Xenoverse 2 to get Black Goku. Or you can get him without pre-ordering? Also never knew about fanmade remakes of Link's Awakening and Castlevania 1, both look very cool.

Chary likes this.
  12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If i must be honest, i like this format of reports better, since is all neatly presented together, but i mean i understand the desire to instantly report news as soon as is known, since it allows people to be informed right away. So i mean nice job on the format presentation. :)

Now just curious which one of the listed information you feel most favored by? Either good or bad, just which of these interest you most?:unsure:

Chary likes this.
  13. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    The links awakening mod looks cool but he kept the cursor on the screen :sad: I'm in so much pain

Chary likes this.
  14. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Damn United Front Games is closing down? That's really bad news because they are probably the best dev company in the city. They did very well in Sleeping Dogs and they ported Halo: The Master Chief Collection to the XBone. I know someone who used to take the same bus to work as me that did work on the Halo:MCC... Well I guess we still have Next Level Games but they usually make Nintendo Spinoffs.

Chary likes this.
  15. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    great article Chary! so many things I didnt know about
    the links awakening remake... of course we all hope it'll get done but isn't it a bit... ambitious, for a single guy?
    good luck to him really. If it ever gets released we'll need to give it the publicity it deserves :)

Chary likes this.
  16. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Would it be OK if we put his patroen on here so Tempers interested could help?

17. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I had a really fun time writing this, and trying to format it to look nice. So, thanks! I'm glad people like it ^_^

The Castlevania in unreal engine 4 is awesome looking, I love that lighting effect. The OOT-styled-Links Awakening is also great, Links Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, so I really hope it gets finished! And Alliance Alive having Suikoden's writer has me super excited as well! It's hard to choose!

It's crazy what determined fans are capable of! It must be difficult for a one-man-team to do so much work.

I...can't...unsee!

Looking up on it...looks like it's a preorder exclusive! Bummer.

Returnofganon likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I dunno why people like that specific zelda game a lot. Seem like lots of game mods is just turn a popular game into another more popular game, really. :mellow:

What's next, make a mod and call it the third N64 Zelda game? Mod twilight princess into skyward sword?

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Oct 19, 2016
  19. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I love rom hacks. I wanted to modify Wind Waker and turn it into a 3D Minish Cap, but I have no knowledge of coding.

20. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    This is pretty great! I look forward its continuation.

Chary likes this.