The Pokemon Company is looking to hire those with NFT, metaverse, and blockchain experience

sdasd.png

The Pokemon Company has drawn the ire and attention of many, with a new job posting that is actively seeking employees with experience in uncharted territory for the Pokemon franchise. The hiring page shows that The Pokemon Company International wants to hire staff that has "deep knowledge and understanding of Web 3, [...] blockchain technologies, NFT, and/or metaverse. They also appear to be looking for someone who can "connect the relevance of potential partners or technologies with Pokemon's existing assets", which has fans dramatically split between unease and excitement for what this might mean for the future.

The Pokemon Company isn't the first, and definitely won't be the last, in terms of businesses trying to incorporate elements of the blockchain into the video game industry. Despite harsh criticism in the past, Square Enix is still committed to pushing the idea of NFT games. Regardless, outside of the hiring page, nothing involving NFTs has been announced from The Pokemon Company, for now.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The trading card game already is NFT like in price and in the sense of generating artificial scarcity.

For the pokemon video games I do no worry, as they still did not figured out how to make something that look as good as a N64 game, so it will take generations of implemented gaming NFTs to they finally learn it

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes perfect sense for something like Pokémon. Integrating the blockchain would allow for unique ID’s that are impossible to counterfeit and would facilitate trading in and outside of the game. I’d say that’s a good use of the technology.
This is exactly the kind of thing that web3 was initially developed for. Unique digital tokens that represent a unique digital good s (Pokemon). I get that the kneejerk reaction is to hate anything related to blockchain but this actually makes sense for a pokemon game

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes perfect sense for something like Pokémon. Integrating the blockchain would allow for unique ID’s that are impossible to counterfeit and would facilitate trading in and outside of the game. I’d say that’s a good use of the technology.
Why do I feel like that's not all they're gonna use it for...

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For that to work, the game should be always connected to a server that generates unique IDs for each pokemon encounter... that, or just making the game fully cloud.

You can't have offline blockchain, and if Nintendo lets players play offline that will allow them to manipulate local data to get counterfeit pokemon...

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The page linked in the tweet just says "Can't find this page. The job that you are looking for may have expired."
Could be possible that either it got deleted or it's because I'm in the UK.
Still, seems odd.

If this is real then... well, I can't say I'm surprised. Hell, I'm surprised about the fact it took them this long. Although they probably just wanted to wait until the storm of people hating NFTs died down (that storm has moved to AI art now).

It's stupid, obviously, but it also makes some sense like some have said above me.

Last edited by James_,
Reactions: DragonMals

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over