• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The NZ Shooting

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 12,337
  • Replies 105
  • Likes 2

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He quite literally thought the opposite - that firearm owners in New Zealand were already so neutered that additional restrictions would pass unopposed.
Yeah I guess so. He thought it would start a controversy here, but that won't happen until the next shooting on American soil. Obviously we're pretty numb to it by now though, and most people are simply burnt out on the argument after we wouldn't even make changes in response to Sandy Hook.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What annoyed me about this is how other countries' news outlets handled it.

In New Zealand, they're not allowed to name him or show his face, which is perfect! Not showing their face or naming him, can help prevent copy cats. But, in the US, they showed his face, named him, went over his life, gave him his 5 minutes of fame. That's exactly what he wants! That's what a lot of mass shooters want. I always believed that mass shooters should never get named, or have their face plastered everywhere, just give them a number, and take away some of their glory.

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
The shooter's intent was obviously somewhat politically based, however his manifesto is made to completely lead everyone on as none of the ideas in it match up with each other. What he did was essentially "irl trolling" but to a fucked up extreme that is irredeemable.
That manifesto was made to upset every single group possible, to cause chaos and to get people debating over why he did what he did, and to get the media to add their biases as to why he did it -- and it worked. It's the same as trolling kinda, as in you try to get people riled up, but it's much different because he killed loads of people and he actually deserves to die unlike trolls. Basically what I'm trying to say is:

His political beliefs are unclear and you should not assume why he did it as he intentionally made it look like he did it because of different conflicting ideologies in his manifesto.
He did this to upset everyone, and it worked because killing 49 people and giving people reasons to assume he did it for opposing political beliefs will make people fired up.
Fuck him.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
chan is alt right? and here i thought they were just scumbag trolls where pokemon games leak
The infection started with /pol/ and it slowly took over the entire site. It's pretty far gone now.

His political beliefs are unclear and you should not assume why he did it as he intentionally made it look like he did it because of different conflicting ideologies in his manifesto.
If nothing else it's clear that the guy was a Muslim-hating bigot, and that's a common thread in far-right ideology.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Creatable

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The infection started with /pol/ and it slowly took over the entire site. It's pretty far gone now.

If nothing else it's clear that the guy was a Muslim-hating bigot, and that's a common thread in far-right ideology.
sounds like a politician i know of......shit comes full circle

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, a Muslim-hating bigot who took a vacation to Pakistan 6 months ago and loved the country and the people.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, a Muslim-hating bigot who took a vacation to Pakistan 6 months ago and loved the country and the people.
Radicalization can and often does happen very quickly, particularly with how online groups pursue the most desperate/vulnerable people as targets for it. Six months is more than enough time to transistion from normal, logical person to xenophobic, bigoted, angry, and paranoid.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Radicalization can and often does happen very quickly, particularly with how online groups pursue the most desperate/vulnerable people as targets for it. Six months is more than enough time to transistion from normal, logical person to xenophobic, bigoted, angry, and paranoid.
I agree, 6 months is enough to brainwash anyone, but is it enough to to prepare them for mass shooting? Or is it enough to kill a human heart and make him shoot 4yo Childers?
The media said he was planning this attack from 2 years, it doesn't make sense, the internet is full of lies right now.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The shooter's intent was obviously somewhat politically based, however his manifesto is made to completely lead everyone on as none of the ideas in it match up with each other. What he did was essentially "irl trolling" but to a fucked up extreme that is irredeemable.
That manifesto was made to upset every single group possible, to cause chaos and to get people debating over why he did what he did, and to get the media to add their biases as to why he did it -- and it worked. It's the same as trolling kinda, as in you try to get people riled up, but it's much different because he killed loads of people and he actually deserves to die unlike trolls. Basically what I'm trying to say is:

He did this to upset everyone, and it worked because killing 49 people and giving people reasons to assume he did it for opposing political beliefs will make people fired up.
Fuck him.
For all we know this guy could’ve hated his life, wanted to end it, then decided “screw it, I’ll kill a bunch of people and screw with people with the manifesto and make them go crazy trying to figure out my motivations.” “That’ll give some entertainment in my sad life. I don’t care, fuck people, my life is going to be over anyways. So i’ll screw with them.”

Last edited by SG854,

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What annoyed me about this is how other countries' news outlets handled it.

In New Zealand, they're not allowed to name him or show his face, which is perfect! Not showing their face or naming him, can help prevent copy cats. But, in the US, they showed his face, named him, went over his life, gave him his 5 minutes of fame. That's exactly what he wants! That's what a lot of mass shooters want. I always believed that mass shooters should never get named, or have their face plastered everywhere, just give them a number, and take away some of their glory.

Today I gained knowledge from you. Thanks for that.

I never understood why they did not show the faces of such ruthless killers. Always like: "What? Why they protect this killer by hiding his face".
After reading your post, I gained another way of looking at things.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The shooting that happened in New Zealand was horrible and I don't think anyone would say otherwise. Now, I didn't read the shooter's manifesto but he apparently spent over two years working on it and then he did that, and on his 8chan post he sounds like a typical extreme right-wing though the difference is that this one actually carried out an attack.

His 8chan post was archived so I've read that and if you want, the link is down below. Don't ask for the video, it's out there but I'm not going near that atrocity.

http://archive.is/G04Xx

He mentioned "subscribe to PewDiePie" and now PDP is in trouble because of this scumbag despite that Pewds isn't responsible what strangers do or say, in his or someone else's name. He did in fact say he wanted to cause chaos and that's what's occurring.

And due to all of this, the gun laws in NZ are going to change. Something about this whole story feels like it's missing a piece, like, there was an internet outage, NZ revising their gun laws and he announced he was going to carry out an attack and livestreamed it like a friggin' game. Maybe it's just coincidence, who knows.

All in all, this isn't a news story that can be wrapped up in 3-4mins, it needs a real investigation and if NZ has a death penalty system (probably not), give him that treatment.

This video below by CBS gives a summary of some of it and a possible idea (because no one ever truly knows one's true motives in their minds) about what he was working/thinking:

RIP the victims.

Typical extreme right wing ? There have been plenty of terrorist acts by lefties so in your reasoning that should also always be called typical left wing terrorist when it happens. It ain't good what happened and extremist muslims are already calling for vengeance and supposedly a terrorist will attack the train station in Antwerp Belgium because of vengeance. But seriously stop with saying ''typical right wing ''. There's nothing typical about it

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Are people ready to commit such crimes and risk their life in such a short time?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Typical extreme right wing ? There have been plenty of terrorist acts by lefties so in your reasoning that should also always be called typical left wing terrorist when it happens. It ain't good what happened and extremist muslims are already calling for vengeance and supposedly a terrorist will attack the train station in Antwerp Belgium because of vengeance. But seriously stop with saying ''typical right wing ''. There's nothing typical about it
You dropped the extreme part. He (OP) calls it typical extreme right wing not right wing. Also, it's in reference to the shit he (shooter) was spouting before unleashing fire on a bunch of innocents. There is no suggestion that the fact that the shooter opened fire has anything to do with "typical right wing behavior". It's that the shooter was reciting typical extreme right wing bullshit (chan culture pretty much) before opening fire.

Secondly, that's what-about-ism and if it's a legitimate issue should probably not be discussed in the same thread that talks about the shooting, which is horrible (presuming it's true) but probably should get it's own thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are people ready to commit such crimes and risk their life in such a short time?
Some folks are particularly vulnerable to those kinds of ideas. I presume it usually starts with some form of "I'm a waste of space anyway" (which the internet and chan culture specifically can highly feed into) and from there on out, when you radicalize, youre already in the mindset of "I don't care about my personal worth anyway, so might as well unleash hell and ruin my own life to get some form of satisfaction".

Last edited by Ev1l0rd,
Reactions: lolboy

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Well well well someone got offended by "extreme right wing".

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
During 9/11 plane hijackings, westerners (mainly Americans) were criticized for not ganging up on the terrorists to stop them.

In this disturbing video, the most surprising thing to me is that muslims who are supposed to submit only to god immediately huddled into a corner and started begging the gunman.

In the back of everyone's mind, they know their religion is a hoax.

RIP

Reactions: Subtle Demise

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You dropped the extreme part. He (OP) calls it typical extreme right wing not right wing. Also, it's in reference to the shit he (shooter) was spouting before unleashing fire on a bunch of innocents. There is no suggestion that the fact that the shooter opened fire has anything to do with "typical right wing behavior". It's that the shooter was reciting typical extreme right wing bullshit (chan culture pretty much) before opening fire.

Secondly, that's what-about-ism and if it's a legitimate issue should probably not be discussed in the same thread that talks about the shooting, which is horrible (presuming it's true) but probably should get it's own thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Some folks are particularly vulnerable to those kinds of ideas. I presume it usually starts with some form of "I'm a waste of space anyway" (which the internet and chan culture specifically can highly feed into) and from there on out, when you radicalize, youre already in the mindset of "I don't care about my personal worth anyway, so might as well unleash hell and ruin my own life to get some form of satisfaction".
i didn't drop the extreme part ? I'm not offended by anyone saying extreme right wing but calling it typical since most people view towards right wing people is usually quite extreme and then calling it typical is just a bit 2 much for me. That's like basically saying every right wing person ( leftists always call alt right, extreme right ) is a terrorist wich is bullshit. If he dropped the '' typical '' part in his main post, i would be 100 percent okay with the post

Last edited by kumikochan,

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
During 9/11 plane hijackings, westerners (mainly Americans) were criticized for not ganging up on the terrorists to stop them.

In this disturbing video, the most surprising thing to me is that muslims who are supposed to submit only to god immediately huddled into a corner and started begging the gunman.

In the back of everyone's mind, they know their religion is a hoax.

RIP
It's always easy for you to star talking shit about some people who just died few days ago.
What a religion have to do with normal civilians got scared from gun shooting? And where did you even seen them begging? The guy was trying to protect his kids with his body? Or are you using your ass to watch the video?
What kind of a retarded person like you expect those Muslims to do? "oh nice someone is going to kill us so we will go to heaven", don't talk shit about other people religion when you have no idea about it.
I bet you will scream "Mommy" when you hear a gunshot.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's always easy for you to star talking shit about some people who just died few days ago.
What a religion have to do with normal civilians got scared from gun shooting? And where did you even seen them begging? The guy was trying to protect his kids with his body? Or are you using your ass to watch the video?
What kind of a retarded person like you expect those Muslims to do? "oh nice someone is going to kill us so we will go to heaven", don't talk shit about other people religion when you have no idea about it.
I bet you will scream "Mommy" when you hear a gunshot.

they should be criticized. It was handled very poorly. I don't see what you describe in the video. I saw a man clumsily stumble in front of the gunman then promptly get eliminated.

the video shows what happens when you are totally unprepared. It showcases the inability of the police state to deal with sudden threats.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
they should be criticized. It was handled very poorly. I don't see what you describe in the video. I saw a man clumsily stumble in front of the gunman then promptly get eliminated.

the video shows what happens when you are totally unprepared. It showcases the inability of the police state to deal with sudden threats.

they should be criticized?
Sure next time we will let people watch this video before they get shot.
You need eggboy.

Reactions: Fugelmir

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/7FN990Y lol flip my switch