"The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap" decomp reaches 100% completion

url.jpg
Another title from the Zelda franchise joins the ranks today for fully decompiled projects, just in time for the holiday season as well.

This time, the title that reached 100% on its decompilation is the GBA title, The Minish Cap, which sees Link going through Hyrule and learning about the Picori and the dark mage, Vaati, who placed a curse on Link.

The decompilation for The Minish Cap has been worked on for several years now, and it has been worked on by the same Zelda decomp team that did the Ocarina of Time decomp, ZeldaRET (or Zelda Reverse Engineering Team), this is also the same team that's also working on the decompilation for Majora's Mask, which is currently around 80% complete.

With this, we could expect a PC port coming soon once people start working out the workings of the decomp to make ports to other systems as well.

:arrow: Source

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never played this one so kicked up last nght on my 3DS, its cool. But why is Link a;ways sleeping at the beginning of zelda games, and needs woke up?
Most, not always. Not in Zelda 1, 2, Majora's Mask & Twilight Princess.
Post automatically merged:

i want more remake zelda games on the switch ,nintendo is DUMB
Now ignoring scroeffie1984

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Decomps can't be taken down since they're 100% original code that generate the same matching binary once compiled back.

The copyrighted assets for the game are taken directly from a source ROM which the user has to provide, the decomp doesn't include any copyrighted assets, hence why Nintendo gets the L here.
Unfortunately though, this isn't always the case. Take Two took down RE3 and REVC despite them both requiring the original files. Honestly, given how litigious N usually is I have no idea why they seem to leave decomps alone.

Reactions: BigOnYa

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately though, this isn't always the case. Take Two took down RE3 and REVC despite them both requiring the original files. Honestly, given how litigious N usually is I have no idea why they seem to leave decomps alone.
The difference between this and that is those were fan games being made with assets from Capcom. Fan games are entirely separate from hacks and decomps.
If those were *mods* to RE2/3 remakes, it'd be more of a grey area, but those were not mods.

Reactions: tabzer and BigOnYa

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
The difference between this and that is those were fan games being made with assets from Capcom. Fan games are entirely separate from hacks and decomps.
If those were *mods* to RE2/3 remakes, it'd be more of a grey area, but those were not mods.
What? No they weren't, they were GTA3 & GTAVC decompilations.

Its possible I'm misremembering the names.... Edit - Nope, RE3 (GTA3) and REVC or RE3 Miami (GTAVC).

Last edited by Dungeonseeker,
Reactions: tabzer

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? No they weren't, they were GTA3 & GTAVC decompilations.

Its possible I'm misremembering the names.... Edit - Nope, RE3 (GTA3) and REVC or RE3 Miami (GTAVC).

You said RE3 and REVC which looked like the acronyms for Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil Code Veronica. My mistake.

MikaTh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How long do you think this will last before it gets taken down by Nintendo?
they can't. They tried to take down a similar thing in the late 80s to early 90s and it blew up in their face big time, because they set a legal precedent that decomps can't be copyright claimed.

For me the WiiU versions work just fine.

However Majora's Mask is the one I am holding my breath for the decomplication to finish.
Three good reasons:
1) Nerrel's textures that are currently PC only
2) QoL improvements probably will come from Ship of Harkiaan OoT
3) The very recent soundtrack remake that is currently exclusive to the 3DS version
twilight princess is the one i'm holding my hopes on. Having a decomp means having the possibility to make enemies more agresssive, which would make the combat of that game shine brightly, i love that game combat options but enemies not only last too long and give too little damage, but they aren't agressive enough to make the player use the super cool defensive mechanics.

Huh, a Game Boy Advance game. Curious to see where this goes.
I just need soundtrack remake, nothing else. Not even more field of view like that link's awakening fan remake/port

Last edited by MikaTh,

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
they can't. They tried to take down a similar thing in the late 80s to early 90s and it blew up in their face big time, because they set a legal precedent that decomps can't be copyright claimed.
Read 3 posts up.... Also citation required on that one, nobody was decompiling anything from any current gen consoles back in the late 80s.

Look, I'm not arguing over the legalities or moralities, all I'm saying is if you're a small dev working on a project (any project really) and you get a letter from "Expensive Shysters Law" on behalf of "publisher with unlimited money" asking you to stop what you're doing do you A) Fight or B) Stop? Its an unfortunate consequence of current times but money has more power than right and wrong.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

twilight princess is the one i'm holding my hopes on. Having a decomp means having the possibility to make enemies more agresssive, which would make the combat of that game shine brightly, i love that game combat options but enemies not only last too long and give too little damage, but they aren't agressive enough to make the player use the super cool defensive mechanics.

I just need soundtrack remake, nothing else. Not even more field of view like that link's awakening fan remake/port
You know they're on a Ship of Harkinian for Majora's Mask?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The issue with the GTA decomps was that they were using part of leaked code iirc, or part of the debugging code that was wrongly left in one of the releases of the games, which was part of the original code itself, hence prompting the DMCA.

With these decomps, they were all done through clean room RE, which gives them more protection from the shitty N.

Reactions: tabzer and BigOnYa

Reshiban

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wow good to see !

Btw I wonder, why did the few last percents took like > a year to achieve ?
As I remember it was around 98% since many time, are the latest steps longer ?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow good to see !

Btw I wonder, why did the few last percents took like > a year to achieve ?
As I remember it was around 98% since many time, are the latest steps longer ?
From what I've seen in some recent decomps, the remaining functions for some games could take a while due to differences between the compiler and the actual assembly output not matching.

Working that out to properly have the C code match 1:1 with the original assembly binary can take a while.

Reactions: Reshiban

Natural

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im still waiting for wind Waker and twilight princess 100% decomp. Those old games I can easy emulate on anything

Can't you emulate Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on just about anything as well?

Soundtrack remake? Remake how exactly?

Last edited by Natural,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated