The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom gets new gameplay trailer

Nintendo's upcoming entry into The Legend of Zelda series has just received a new trailer that offers more information on the world and gameplay. The video details elements such as a cooking system, fast travel, equipment that affects your stats, and new echo powers that Zelda has access to, as well as showcasing some of Hyrule's familiar locations. The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom will launch for the Nintendo Switch on September 26th.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It’s not a repeat of OoT, which seems to be the standard for Zelda formula until Link between Worlds slightly broke it up and BOTW completely changed it. It’s at least something that looks like a new enough take on the Zelda series.
So the standard formula has been basically abandoned after Skyward Sword 13 years ago? Seems like now the standard formula has been to change things up. This isn't a disagreement with you, just pointing out that the old formula hasn't seen a new game in over a decade, so it can't really be called the standard formula anymore. I'll see myself out.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really interesting comments in this thread. I like the varying opinions on Zelda game design.

Thinking about it, maybe it is good that we have BotW and TotK so that we have that break from traditional Zelda design, but man, I've been missing it for a while now. For me, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are THE games to beat.

I don't mean to put down open world games, but I'm personally burnt out on "open world busywork." The real meat of Zelda is battling, exploring, intriguing items, and carefully-crafted dungeons. Zelda earned its reputation in the 80's and 90's, and it's been hard for competitors to replicate. So, when Zelda goes missing, the fanbase feels it.

With all that said, I'm willing to give Echoes a chance. Hopefully, it's a solid entry in its own right.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New gameplay, if you've played LTTP and LA, yup this is that game.

It is Nintendo, we do not change shit.

But this time, we will get our fanbase going crazy wet, play as Zelda, for no apparent reason other than making it a 100% must buy for our millions of fanbase.

Click fingers, sheep commence queuing like good little lambs to the slaughter house.

Yet again we profit off recycling the same stuff.

Anyone can edit the player skin, alter the map in a week or two.

Well we would if nintendont didn't keep getting their salary judge to sue every fucking fan made game.

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really looking forward to this one. Honestly can't believe it's out so soon!
It's using the engine from LA remake (which I think was originally intended for 3DS) so they are at least getting their money's worth out of it by giving a quick turnaround to development time. This looks fun, to heck with the "wahhh, muh Zelda formula" whiners. Looks better than botw or totk.

Reactions: Scarlet

Tom8823

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like the gameplay, I don't like the framerate. Even in this video which is supposed to show the game for it's best side we see framerate drops. Not good

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
It’s not a repeat of OoT, which seems to be the standard for Zelda formula until Link between Worlds slightly broke it up and BOTW completely changed it. It’s at least something that looks like a new enough take on the Zelda series.

To be fair, Pokémon almost did something new with Legends, then failed to commit. SV should have been new but was ruined by a lot of lazy decisions and poor execution. Glad Palworld finally gave Pokémon fans a new experience
SV fucked up the Remember list. Your pokemon does not remember all the moves it acquired which is stupid. The next game should fix this.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noone said that except for a few crybabies :)
It's funny, Twilight Princess followed OoT's visual style because Nintendo wanted to quell the fears that Zelda was going "kid friendly." It paid off because sales of TP (GC and Wii combined) were double what Wind Waker took in.

Yoshi's Story is the example I hear about over and over. Yoshi was popular among kids in Japan, and Yoshi's Story capitalized on that. The problem was that the game was advertised in the West as Yoshi's Island 2 (essentially) by many outlets instead of the standalone low-difficulty platformer that it was. From there, the "kid friendly" problem was born, but I can't think of any other games that reinforced the idea.

Is it possible Nintendo fans aren't as "indecisive" as their reputations make them out to be? I consider games like OoT and Majora's Mask to be the best levels of seriousness and fantasy for Nintendo's audience. Sales of the more serious Zelda's seem to prove that keeping the tone "serious enough" has the most appeal among Nintendo fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It's Xmas here, merry xmas.