The Legend Of Korra Book 2 Discussion Thread

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
So wait... Where's Vaatu? He just turned into spirit dust or something... He should technically still be somewhere, one cannot exist without the other.
And why does he remind me of Aku...

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My guess is a new dark Avatar or returning weaken Vaatu.

My guess is that while Vatuu/Unalaq was a giant, he was also in the Avatar State. So when Korra destroyed them, she broke the Dark Avatar's cycle, thus preventing Unalaq/Vaatu from reïncarnating in the form of another human. Vatuu will, however, probably regrow inside of Raava, as Raava did inside of Vaatu after he destroyed her. So who knows, Korra might have to resist some dark temptations in the future...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that makes sense.
So, Korra's going to go around and kill evil water tribe babies now? :P
(since the first dark Avatar only knew water bending)
The dark Avatar could possibly keep her/his old bending and gain another from reincarnation base on the cycle.

My guess is that while Vatuu/Unalaq was a giant, he was also in the Avatar State. So when Korra destroyed them, she broke the Dark Avatar's cycle, thus preventing Unalaq/Vaatu from reïncarnating in the form of another human. Vatuu will, however, probably regrow inside of Raava, as Raava did inside of Vaatu after he destroyed her. So who knows, Korra might have to resist some dark temptations in the future...
Does one has to do with the other? Was Korra in the Avatar State when she turned giant?

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The dark Avatar could possibly keep her/his old bending and gain another from reincarnation base on the cycle.

Does one has to do with the other? Was Korra in the Avatar State when she turned giant?

Korra used cosmic energy and not the Avatar State to create that blue giant, because Raava had been destroyed. The reason Unalaq could grow so large was not because of cosmic energy, but rather Vaatu's power. Whether or not using Vaatu's power counts as being in the Avatar State remains to be seen. If it does however, then Korra most likely broke the Dark Avatar's reïncarnation cycle by killing him while he was using Vaatu's power.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so, I'm just going to bump this back up because I'm just now catching up. I spent the last week watching all of Avatar, and just finished off Book 2 of Korra. My feelings are mixed.

On one hand, the action is good. I think the character of Korra is a good example of the idea that the Avatar can be a very different person from regeneration to regeneration, and not forcing us to watch her have to go through, slowly working her way through each element is kind of nice. Unfortunately, that also removed a lot of chance for legitimate character development. Instead, Korra just bounces between "I want to be a good Avatar and you just don't teach me what I need to know" and "I'M SO SORRY FOR DOUBTING YOUR ABILITY TO TEACH ME". The Book 1 love triangle deal had the chance for making more happen, but instead, we hit Book 2, and the relationship between Korra and Mako just falls apart as Korra no longer seems to know how to react properly. Even by the end of Book 2, I felt like she had made absolutely zero progress towards becoming a good, likeable character entirely due to her lack of consistency in what should be growth. I really hope Book 3 makes an effort to develop her as the Avatar, and moves away from her ridiculous reactions to every little thing that happens in her tiny group of friends.

Speaking of character development, Bolin and Asami did nothing through all of Book 2. The writers essentially tossed both of them off on the sidelines, would give them a brief moment of action, and then ditch them again. Or in Bolin's case, we got to see him inexplicably participate in almost none of the action until the last few episodes of the season. I just feel like Asami essentially played her role in Book 1, and that the writers don't really know what to do with Bolin, since they certainly have failed at making him as likeable as Sokka was in Avatar. Mako, well, I dunno. He's a good character in that he gets shit done and seems to actually be increasing in ability, but he sucks in that he is essentially just there half the time to add some form of bullshit romantic tension.

Plot wise, well, honestly, Book 2 kind of fucked shit up. How are you going to present a greater villain than darkness itself? You just had the Avatar face the archenemy of all light in the world. Good luck in Book 3 and Book 4 on providing us with an enemy that doesn't feel like a step backwards. As well, the plot for the second season was just kind of weird. I guess it's mostly because Avatar didn't really focus on the spirit world stuff much, and when they did, they never made it seem like it was, well, anything like how the spirits and spirit world were ultimately represented. It was interesting that they brought back the lion turtles and explained why the one in Avatar was so special in being able to guide Aang by showing how much power they truly held though. Still, the idea of the spirits, an essentially unfightable entity that is more bipolar in their reactions than Korra, becoming a staple of the last two books just screams for more really stupid things to happen. I just felt that the Equalist thing, although a little weird in itself, was better in some ways, despite the fact that bringing back blood bending was lame. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't just suddenly the power to blood bend without a full moon. They never explained how bending could be blocked by blood bending either. Not even a little. Regardless, at the least, they did leave a plot line open in that Book 3 can focus around Korra trying to reestablish the connection to her past lives, so there isn't absolutely nothing to build off of.

In the end, I dunno. In total, the plot seems to bounce between bearable, weird, and just feeling its way through from episode to episode. They don't seem to know how to balance the use of the new technology they introduced with the bending abilities of the past, and there are a lot of flat out arbitrary plot details that keep making it into seasons that aren't long enough to support details that do nothing to forward the plot. At the same time, I have to concede that despite all of the flaws, it is written just well enough to keep me interested in seeing what will happen next. This spirit thing really pushed it though. As excited as I was to go from episode to episode, by the end of Book 2, I just didn't know what to think about it anymore.

The music is cool. That's pretty good.

Now, to be fair, despite all of my criticism, they did keep me watching through both seasons so far, and for that, they can be sure that I'll be watching the next two, if nothing more than for the fact that I want some closure on the series as a whole. It ain't perfect and it certainly isn't as good as its predecessor, but it holds its own just well enough. My criticisms for all of the things they didn't explain even a little are close to never ending, and the fact that they opted to totally ignore certain things from Book 1 just rustles my jimmies ever so slightly. That doesn't change the fact that it is interesting though, and I have watched other shows that I like more that have opened themselves up to far more plot inconsistencies and character development issues than this one. No matter how much bad I can point out, I'll still be excited for each new episode until the series ends.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Apparently eps 3 to 6 were accidentally leaked (albeit in Spanish). I have yet to watch it though. All I know is someone is gonna get in a crapton of trouble for the mistake.... ;O;

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've been knee deep in the leak for the past week or so. The release date hasn't even been announced and this stuff is already out there; it's just embarrassing at this point.

It's still a bad show.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've been knee deep in the leak for the past week or so. The release date hasn't even been announced and this stuff is already out there; it's just embarrassing at this point.

It's still a bad show.

I just cant get into the show because the main protagonist is female (Sexist, i know) so i cant relate to her problems.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just cant get into the show because the main protagonist is female (Sexist, i know) so i cant relate to her problems.

Personally, I have no problem with her being a woman. She's just a petulant, whiny protagonist that has all the solutions handed to her and learns nothing.

Avatar The Last Airbender was about a child that's forced to act like an adult; Avatar The Legend of Korra is about an adult that acts like a child.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Book 3? lol

Not after the shitpile that was Book 2. It just feels like these guys aren't even trying any more. So no thanks. I can find more creative ways to burn my time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The hate is strong with these ones.

You take one of the better TV shows aimed at kids in years and make a far weaker sequel and you get raised eyebrows. You then burn whatever good will you have left on its second series, and worse give a few glimpses of greatness once seen, and you expect not to get some hate?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so i gather that suddenly, bending powers are spreading like wildfire since there seem to be a bunch of new air benders, the combustion mans children return, a bunch of more specialized bending like magma and comets, the fire nations leftbehind power vacuum is finally seized by evil emperors from all over the nations too and zuko is still around too.
and then everyone battles everyone. alright.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection