The legality of playing backup games like .cia

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mwahaha, Aug 14, 2016.

1. mwahaha
    OP

mwahaha GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Indonesia
    Hello, I want to clarify something first. Did playing .cia games count as illegal gaming? Can being poor justify this action? Because just to bought a 3ds handheld I need to save money for almost a year (my monthly wages is only $120). I loved to play a game in my free time, but the thought of being guilty is really gnawed me.

P.s: please delete this thread if this is an out of topic question

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    being poor does not negate the law, though if it makes you feel better you can know that you would not have ever bought the game anyway so while you broke the law you didn't actually make anyone loose any money

3. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Being poor does not legally justify the action, though for most people it does morally.

Tony_93 and mwahaha like this.
  4. mwahaha
    OP

mwahaha GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Indonesia
    Yeah, if I had more money, I wanted to buy the game legally. But then, I don't have any money left for foods, utilities and others because of it :(
    By the way, I read the rules that gbatemp do not condone piracy and dont discuss about Warez, Roms, Iso, etc here. But as I can saw, people mentioned about .cia so casually here. That's why I'm asking about the legality of playing .cia

5. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    It's absolutely illegal to pirate games. Whether you are able to justify it to yourself is an exercise left to the reader.

6. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    120$ a month???? I get like 10$ and thats all

mwahaha likes this.
  7. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    In my country, if you purchased a legit copy, you are entitled to own a backup for archival purposes. You need to demonstrate you can backup your game and the backup you are using is dumped from the copy you bought. We call it "private copy right". Downloading, selling or redistributing backups is still illegal though.

mwahaha likes this.
  8. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    its illegal but you can pirate games and buy some games sometime for supporting devolepers

mwahaha likes this.
  9. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    its illegal. but who cares just pirate anyways. :yay:

10. mwahaha
    OP

mwahaha GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Indonesia
    How you can accommodate for everything with just $10? I Can barely life with $120.

11. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    It's not allowed here to link to pirated content, it's allowed to talk about it though, and even to release (your own tools that you made) to dump games (for backups or pirating). Basically only sharing of pirated content is not allowed talking about it is not.

mwahaha likes this.
  12. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Other than torrents (and even those are mostly warnings) I don't think anyone's ever actually gotten arrested or sued for pirating a game. I could be wrong though.

mwahaha likes this.
  13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    i would assume that you both probably live about the same with that money though.

i make about 700€ (800something$) after taxes and i'm still in my first year of training for my job.

but even living with my parents, there's barely any money left for private fun or even just saving for something broken that needs replacement at the end of a month.
    i'm spending almost 200€ on train tickets to work alone.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Aug 14, 2016
    Quantumcat and mwahaha like this.
  14. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Homebrew CIA = Legal
    Backup CIA = Illegal

BUT SCREW LEGALITY

DrCrygor07, mwahaha and NutymcNuty like this.
  15. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Personally, since I live in a country where everything economics-wise is a mess, where even with the high costs for gaming (a brand new sealed 3ds game being almost double of what anyone would make in a month here), or buying used games still for more than the monthly income. Where nintendo doesn't have (afaik) it's own first party way of exporting titles here and buyers end up getting whatever the retailers/people with actual access to $ bring overseas... You're not really left with much choices. I do not personally care about piracy because if i can buy the games i want to play and can actually get them without much hassle or paying an eye of my face for it, i most cerrainly would.

Before the 3ds extravaganza of 9.2 hacks arrived i got my first o3ds, fw was 9.2, updated to 9.4 to get the KH3D demo of the eshop and turns out 9.2 became the norm for hacking after 4.5. Wanted to shoot myself in the foot. Anyway, i had no problem buying KH3D of a friends since it was at a reasonable price and it's my favourite franchise from all times. Now that both my 3ds's are hacked i keep a backup as a cia as well as the original, archived cartridge.

Principal problem, not much games reach over from the states, only the most well known, and/or kid's like that would sell like hotcakes because of children demanding their parents the new mario kart series. So let's say i wanted to play something not overly so popular like PersonaQ? SoL. Maybe something like Cave Story? SoL. As is with most of the rest of the games that aren't first party.

If i ever get out of my country i have no problem whatsoever having modded consoles as well as legit games to support the developers. But only if i can actually get the games i want.

And no, venezuela's eshop is absolutely empty and setting the NNID region to venezuela is fucking myself, setting it to US works, but $ are only sold at the black market and or heavily controlled by the goverment. Getting them is no easy task.

Last edited by Alex658, Aug 14, 2016
    FrozenDragon150 and mwahaha like this.
  16. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    AFAIK discussing piracy is completely fine here. People do it all the time. It's linking to pirated games that's against the rules.

mwahaha likes this.
  17. smileyhead

smileyhead Bow ties are cool.

GBAtemp Patron
    smileyhead is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Yes.
    No.

Case closed.

mwahaha likes this.
  18. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    You gonna die any day, so download those nice CIA and play em all!!!

19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Unless you are backing up your own games, then CIAs are illegal. Being poor does not negate piracy laws.
    Although, piracy is also one of the hardest laws to enforce.

mwahaha likes this.
  20. mwahaha
    OP

mwahaha GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2013
    Indonesia
    That much is the waged for International company here, but it's pretty rare and only available in the capital city. For me that lived in rural area, the average wages is $115 and above $200 is considering pretty high salary here. For transportation is pretty cheap because I live in rural area, only cost about $10 a month, but because we import everything electronic and technology like cellphone, car, motorcycle, and even console games cost more than in other country. For example, new 3ds XL cost $250 and IPhone 6s cost $900.
    That's why for normal people with average income like me can't afford such luxury like bought the original game. For example, Fire Emblem Conquest cost $43 here. It's more than 1/3 my monthly wages. So, if I can save at least 1/10 of my wages a month (which is unlikely unless I didn't expensed anything except for primary things), I can only buy a new game every 3-4 month. I really have a sad life now that I think about it.

Last edited by mwahaha, Aug 14, 2016