The Job Hunt

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
So, just because I have really ran out of places to apply to, I decided to share with you all an update of my situation (and also look back over it myself, in case I missed anything)

In case you missed my last post (relating very directly), see here.

Anyway, I have an interview for a temporary position at a music store (for the back to school season). There is no chance for a permanent position afterwards, at least for now, but if I can't find a position by that time, it will at least give me valuable experience to put on my resumé, as well as an extra month or so of rent :S?

Besides that, I am also expecting a response from a Church for a secretary position (I am not Christian for the record
tongue.gif
), as I got a response earlier this week saying that they were working on a schedule for interviews next week, and that they would make an appointment with me by the end of this week. The job posting was very non-descriptive (yes, it's a real church, it's almost right next door to me xD), so it could be temp as well, but a good Christian might pity me, yeah? Probably not. Oh well.

Besides that, I've went through every single store, restaurant, etc. at 4 shopping centers and a mall (for the record, I've done this multiple times before in the past year). Most said that they were taking applications, meaning that they aren't actually hiring :-/, but better than nothing, maybe? Besides the "accepting applications", I got a few "I dunno, the manager's not here today, fill one out anyway" and one "yes" (from the aforementioned music store).

I've pretty much given up on chain stores though, and am going into a part of town that has almost nothing but small businesses (yeah, it's slowly turning into a ghost-town, but there's still life in it for now!) - hopefully one of them will hire me :-/. My girlfriend has really been supportive throughout this whole thing, even going to the shopping centers with me to keep me company (not going in stores, though), and she even bought lunch for us a few times at some fast food places (her parents pull in 150+k per year and give her whatever she asks for [because that might give the wrong impression, I am certainly not asking her for money for food or anything, she offered on her own])

In other news, my Western Civ course ends...in one week! (Next Thursday). I got an A on my communications mid-term (such a joke of a class - serious waste of $300...fucking requirements). Hopefully my parents will give me some money for groceries this weekend...I have....olives and peppers right now - I've been making sandwiches out of them lately. They're delicious, actually. Not overly nutritious, mostly fats and citric acid (and sodium in the peppers. lots of it.)

I think I've been in a better mood lately, largely because E3 really got my mind off of things. When Nintendo showed Kid Icarus, and Pit flew across saying "Sorry to keep you waiting!", it made me so happy to hear that - like a long lost friend coming back after 30 years and saying something sarcastic like that. Yeah, I'm lame. Epic E3 though - I really wasn't expecting Nintendo to win, given their recent track record, but damn did they deliver!

I'm not going to lie, I used to pirate, I mean, I am on GBAtemp, but I stopped a while ago. If / when I get a 3DS, I'll just get a bundle that they'll undoubtedly package with it (Say, Kid Ic free with the 3DS), and then just wait for the launch titles to get very low used prices, say $10-$20, and see where my finances are at. I want to try out the 3DS at a Best Buy or something first, though, because I have 20/20 vision in one eye, and 20/200 (no typo) in the other, so I might just end up seeing double. Who knows, though, maybe there won't be any games that require you to use the 3D effect (or I just won't care and brawn my way through it).

Also, as gay as this makes me sound, I've been listening to Lady Gaga since I heard the Leather Pants song on Newgrounds. She really isn't bad at all. I misjudged her.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how you feel. I've been having issues finding jobs near me. I live in Vegas and the nearest bus stop is about 5 miles away and I don't know how to drive and am too afraid to learn in this city. So I'm stuck with whatever job I can find around here within walking distance and NO ONE IS HIRING! It's so frustrating. My current $50 a month job (not counting allowance I get for taking care of the house which is only $60 a month) is on hold until August (it's a MOP's Christian Daycare...$10 an hour for 2 and a half hours, better than nothing) so I've got nothing now...not to mention pretty much no one is hiring period right now. I applied to a new Walgreens opening in August, but I'm not sure if they'll want me since I have very little experience. My uncle said he'd help me get a job at Albertsons since he's a manager, but not holding my breath there either. Sorry to jack your topic, just wanted to let you know that you weren't alone.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
mcp2 said:
You need to volunteer at places/charities/charity shops to gain experience.

There is no time, and most volunteer places that are within my area are either restricted to people under 18 and over 50 for whatever reason. I have until the end of July to pull out a month's rent and a security deposit out of my ass.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission