Hacking The jig is up? (Portugal)

SenhorChibatadas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey everyone, I searched and looked into some threads with similar questions, but couldn't find the answer, so creating one.

I recently bought a second hand V1 Switch (Serial: XAJ4 002036), it came to me on version 16.0.2 and I haven't updated it yet. I also bought an RCM jig off of Aliexpress, which I'm attaching photos of, as I understand incorrect positioning of the wires can lead to RCM difficulties.

I'm having troubles booting into RCM. I've removed the right joy-con from the Switch, inserted the jig, held down Vol + and pressed the power button, but the console never goes into RCM. I've tried sliding the jig in various positions, from all the way to the end to just touching the bottom part, but I still can't get into RCM.

Is the problem with my jig? I tried looking up different jigs on Amazon.es and Ebay. On Amazon, none of them ship to my location. On Ebay, I can only find 3 from European sellers. In case the problem is with my RCM jig, are there any stores that ship from within Europe to Portugal?

In case the problem isn't the jig, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20230630_161905.jpg
IMG_20230630_161930.jpg
IMG_20230630_161950.jpg
IMG_20230630_162036.jpg
IMG_20230630_162045.jpg

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
you need to hold power button down as well. If you see a Nintendo logo something is wrong.
Also do you use a computer for the RCM? Since TegraGUI will show once it enter RCM.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you need to hold power button down as well. If you see a Nintendo logo something is wrong.
Also do you use a computer for the RCM? Since TegraGUI will show once it enter RCM.
i've always pressed the power button, never held it down.

OP, you are switching the switch off first before trying to enter rcm mode?

SenhorChibatadas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Right now I'm not connecting the Switch to the PC, only attempting RCM. I'm not using a power cable, just pressing the power button.

It always shows the Nintendo and Switch logo. I haven't been able to get it to enter RCM (no logos, black screen).
i've always pressed the power button, never held it down.

OP, you are switching the switch off first before trying to enter rcm mode?
Yes I am, fully switching it off by holding the power button, choosing Energy settings and turning it off.

pic1972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did you check if the serial number in the settings is the same on the sticker? If your console has been shipped for service, maybe Nintendo has changed the mother board and so the console is no more unpatched.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
in the jig pics the wires look to have different sized bumps but it's hard to tell, maybe one isn't making connection in the joycon rail.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The rail looks clean and I see no bending or such so that's good!

I would do what Sudeki recommended and check so the jigs pins actually reaches the joycon rail. Else if you're brave use a paperclip and enable AutoRCM so you never need to use a jig again.

pic1972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In a previous post you wrote that you use the PC to send the payload to the console with tegra. Do you make the connection between PC and console before or after joining RCM?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Holding power button? That's never been a requirement. I think you mean the volume buttons. I forget if it's Volume Up or down. (which over the right volume button does). You hold that down while pressing power. I've got a jig too and never had to hold power button. Just press it like normal while holding that volume button. :P

Just make sure it's off first. If you do the power button combo and the screen remains off and you hear the USB connection sound in Windows when you plug it in, then you did it right. Otherwise if it powers up or shows charge icon when plugged into PC then you didn't do something correctly.

SenhorChibatadas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
in the jig pics the wires look to have different sized bumps but it's hard to tell, maybe one isn't making connection in the joycon rail.
Yes, the jig is a bit wonky. When I take the cover off I can move the clip inside. I can adjust if they're more raised or lowered from the jig. Should I try adjusting them?
The rail looks clean and I see no bending or such so that's good!

I would do what Sudeki recommended and check so the jigs pins actually reaches the joycon rail. Else if you're brave use a paperclip and enable AutoRCM so you never need to use a jig again.
My hands are quite large and shaky, so I wouldn't try to use a paperclip, but I'll definitely try to mess with the jig.
In a previous post you wrote that you use the PC to send the payload to the console with tegra. Do you make the connection between PC and console before or after joining RCM?
I haven't used my PC yet, only to format the microSD and move all the files into it. Right now I'm only trying to enter RCM, if I can succeed in that, I'll move on to sending a payload to the Switch.
Holding power button? That's never been a requirement. I think you mean the volume buttons. I forget if it's Volume Up or down. (which over the right volume button does). You hold that down while pressing power. I've got a jig too and never had to hold power button. Just press it like normal while holding that volume button. :P
Yes, I'm only holding the volume up button, and then I press the power button.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ahh I see. If it's not entering RCM mode then it's a problem with your jig. Mine will occasionally fail to work but usually reinserting or bending the copper wires in the jig back into shape will help it work again.

I think even patched units have RCM mode still since it's likely something factory uses to program them. It's the exploit payload once connected to PC part that is patched out in later models. If you can't even get to that step of the process then it's the jig.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...