Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't exactly some kind of jaded history the site hides away, the information's pretty clear on the Wiki: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/The_Name_of_GBAtemp.
The site was a ROM site, but it grew into a community. As a community, we want the site to stay alive, and there's no way to guarantee that when hosting illegal content. We also wouldn't get half as much love from publishers and PR when it comes to news and game reviews if we hosted illegal content. The site's moved on, and that's all there really is to it.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But why not create a hidden ROM site that can be accessed by typing something in. Maybe the Konami code?
Because on top of the community changing, there's simply not the need for another ROM site in this day and age. The site found its niche in hosting the latest GBA games where other sites would only have old releases. This isn't something you see any more.

Deleted member 440156

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because on top of the community changing, there's simply not the need for another ROM site in this day and age. The site found its niche in hosting the latest GBA games where other sites would only have old releases. This isn't something you see any more.
I know, but most sites are Scams and viruses, or need torrents

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know, but most sites are Scams and viruses, or need torrents

Really ? If I need a rom for some reason, i have no problem finding exactly what im looking for in about 10 seconds without being scammed or getting a virus. As for Torrents if your going after more modern systems for piracy reasons then torrents are pretty much the best way to go

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Deleted member 440156

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but if I need a rom in a pinch, like when I don't have my laptop, I can't open the files 'cause the school computers don't have RAR opening software

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are probably visiting the wrong sites if you getting viruses. :P

Still even if this was to host roms again, kinda late for that now, so many other places that do just that. Though we can host homebrew and we also can host patching files for roms, but romhacking.net already focus on rom hacks.

Tell me, are you saying you want roms back and risk losing this site? THIS... SITE... The one of the places most people can have a fair moderation team for a community? :wtf:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I meant a hidden second site accessed by pressing up up down down left right left right B A
I mean that's not very hidden is it? If you know about it, how difficult would it be for others to find it? lol Be reasonable here.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Deleted member 440156

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also it doesn't have to be obvious that it's GBAtemp

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nevermind the idea was better in my thoughts

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also it doesn't have to be obvious that it's GBAtemp

nevermind the idea was better in my thoughts
Oh if that's the case, there are already plenty of sites out there that are definitely not GBAtemp. If you catch my drift. You just have to look really hard on Google.

Reactions: Uiaad

Deleted member 440156

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOH! Maybe original games that aren't officially nintendo, like a Psycho Waluigi port for Wii U (not switch 'cause that's still preety hard to hack)

You don't have a firm understanding of how websites work, do you?
No i dont

I need my WAH on the WII:sad: I'm sorry, that was a terrible pun

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Want ROMs? Then use google, there are TONS of sites that have them without any risk of fakes, viruses or anything. There's a paradise out there for people to find ROMs in:P Also, when it comes to "hidden site", the site host still can see everyone and most DMCA take downs go through them, so hidden to you or not, it's still susceptible to such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The update actually made zoom better