The Hybrid Era

ps4-vs-switch-vs-xbox.jpg

I think it’s safe to say we’ve spent most of our gaming lives on this train barreling towards improvement in gaming. It’s always been about the next big upgrade and the era of something. The 8-bit, the 3D era, the HD era, and the weird place we exist in now that I’ve begun to dub the “Hybrid era.”

The hybrid era consists of the current platforms we have to work with. We have the PlayStation 4 and its many physical forms of pro and slim that play games in slightly different ways. On the other side, we have the Xbox One that has been struggling to keep to the standard Sony has edged them out on for the past four years or so. And in the middle, we have Nintendo, fresh out the gate with something that, to most people, they don’t consider in the same league or playing the same competitive game.

Outside of the consoles in this hybrid era, we also have the lukewarm beginnings of VR that people can’t seem to latch onto, and the ever-advancing race to power in the PC realm. A race that Sony and Microsoft seem keen to join in on as of late.

An interesting mashup of ideas that are slightly similar yet at the same time manage to be completely different from each other. The progress towards power is high with Sony and Microsoft, yet Nintendo seems to prefer to cash in on the games make the hardware mantra. Not to say that Sony isn’t killing it with software either, as evidenced by the vast amount of 2017 games already in contention for game of the year, but I digress.

What I find fascinating about the hybrid era are the common ideas and differences that come together to make unique and exciting content that is no longer available on a single platform. It’s an age that I feel began with the Wii console's introduction.

ps3-dominates-wii-and-360.jpg

I’ve heard the seventh generation of consoles be dubbed the Wii60 era, as everyone played a majority of their games on a 360 console when Microsoft dominated the early years of the generation, and still needed their Nintendo fix with the Wii. If you owned only the Wii, you missed out on some of the most impactful first and third party games in decades. If you didn’t own the Wii, the same could be said for some of Nintendo’s finer first party offerings.

It’s a weird yet new socially accepted concept. The competition used to be all about a one-sided war. You either went all in on Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft. The Wii began the notion of Nintendo being too underpowered for third parties to keep up, so you needed another platform if you still cared enough to want to play those properties. The same concept carried over as the Wii U, PS4 and One rolled out, albeit to a lesser extent.

The Wii U was quite obviously unable to survive on only its first party support, and the competition managed to swallow the market around it. The minority of individuals that did happen to own one, however, still tended to have a PS4 or One to get the full generational experience.

The saying of owning Nintendo to play Nintendo had never been truer, but the hidden point remains that owning Nintendo meant missing out on the full spectrum of games. Some people are content with this to this day, yet others were left feeling empty and left out of the race altogether.

While this may seem to target Nintendo in particular, this isn’t the intention. Because the same shenanigans are being pulled on the console platform completely, and on the PC platform to boot.

consoleexclusives_geekenstein.jpg

The hybrid era has brought us to this marketing war zone where timed exclusivity and, “better on ours,” ideas are rampant. Some games come to Sony first, or third parties stay on Sony and never make it over to other consoles or PC. PC users find themselves continually being shafted by timed exclusives on the PS4 and Xbox One that they won’t get to see for months if not years, or even at all. I mean, Red Dead Redemption never made its way to PC and the second doesn’t look likely to either. And GTA V took almost a year and a half to make its debut on PC finally!

Xbox One has nearly killed individual franchises, (ala Rise of The Tomb Raider,) thanks to their timed exclusivity to keep the games from the competition for as long as possible to sell hardware.

And what makes all of this marketing is interesting, is how well it’s working. Looking at the signatures of the replies to this article alone will show you some people that have shared platforms now. To most of us, it’s become the only way to feel like we’re getting the full buffet of games and not getting stuck in the corner with the salad bar meal deal.

TombRaiderXbox.jpg

I have a PC, a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 for this generation. The Switch is to play the Nintendo games I want to play. The PS4 will let me play the JRPG’s and Sony exclusives I want to play that I’ll never see on Switch or PC. The PC is to play all the third-party games that aren’t locked to Sony or Nintendo’s console to their full potential. Each console serves an overall purpose that contributes to the full hybrid generation I play games on.

I think the argument could be made that Sony has the healthiest balance of all the console platforms at the moment. They have shafted the competition in every possible way to secure incredible exclusives both first and third party. The people who grew up Nintendo could never leave behind the allegiance to Zelda and Mario they grew up with. They also have a hard time leaving behind all the other titles they’ll never see on their console thanks to Nintendo’s lack of power.

You could also argue this mentality of hybrid platforms goes back to the beginning of gaming, but I don’t see it that way. There was a balance of third parties that attempted to contribute to all the platforms up until the seventh generation.

spideyboxes.jpg

You can recall the days of seeing the new Need for Speed game on GameCube, Xbox, and PS2. The sports games were all platform. The weird movie tie-in games went to each system. The third parties catered to each property they could to make the most money on each platform.

This led to the fight for strong exclusives and power that separated the generations in ways that forced you to think you needed to go all in on one platform.

The incentive now is to cater to where the money is most likely to be, even if that means alienating separate userbases. An incentive that has forced the hand of many gamers to spread out to experience everything they want to play.

The hybrid era is something I’ve come to accept as normal now. As much as I have love Nintendo, I could never see them actively trying to play the game of the competition. I think they are resigned to doing their own thing, meaning I’ll continue to buy into their platform for their games and seek out the other games on other platforms. Sony and Microsoft will keep butting heads and gobble up anything they can use against the other. PC users can be content with the third parties they do get to play and wait for the, “console exclusive first’s,” to eventually make their way to the platform.

I don’t see this era indeed fading in the future either. The market competition offers no hope for that kind of change. I think we’ll continue to see an uglier battle of divided franchises among platforms that continues to make it difficult to stick to one company. And I find that incredibly ironic in a lot of ways as well.

Because a majority of us aren’t sticking to a single company anymore.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The perfect-ish mix is Switch + PS4 or Switch + PC. Xbox just slips by completely due to the fact they lack exclusives to make their console a must own (yes, they have a few exclusives but it's either Forza, Halo or Gears -- Don't forget they cancelled Scalebound).

It's just that these Microsoft franchises are so strong that most people who never had a Xbox always have them come to mind. They have great franchises going on (State of decay, sea of thieves, halo wars, they still own fable) but with their 1p titles coming back to W10 their mainstream console main appeal is that a $150 PC is absolute crap and if scorpio comes at $500 one doesn't get a 4k 60 fps rig for less that $1000.

D

Deleted User

I HATE THIS SO MUCH...
they force me to buy ~300$ console just for 1-2 games on the switch. I have 360 cause I got it for free and dont really play it much (dont have time for gtav now, nor in the near future...), also a 3ds (my main for its portability) and a laptop (minecraft, duh... and all the 7+years old games that can run on modern intel onboard gpu)...idealy I would have a pc and one console max and im so angry for this timed exclusivity of third parties... I mean, if I have a pc I should have all the new games but no... anyway I have a huge catalogue of older games on pc that look still great so no complaints... 3ds was wortn it for its 5 zeldas, 2 pkmn gens and all the hacks and hb ... I think a portable pc that will run current-gen 3rd parties will be optimal if it existed...hope the switch will have 3rd parties atleast

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a shelf full of unplayed Xbox 360 games (I just can't find the time to play something like Skyrim or GTA V...), so a Wii U + N3DS + decent PC is all the "next gen" I need in my life right now.

I'm sure I'll buy a Switch once the price dropped and it has some interesting exclusives. But Xbox One and PS4? I'm not really interested in the current lineup... Most of the good stuff comes to PC anyway and some games (like Rise of the Tomb Raider) were even still ported to Xbox 360. :D

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i love it when people seem to say sony/ms try to join the pc race.

correct me if i am wrong, but before pc gaming even kicked off, home consoles have always striven on improving hardware?

but because the way hardware is evolving its now sony/ms are trying to be a pc, hmmm maybe being more cost effective using pc structure, cost effective for them and the dev, recall the issues sony had with its ps3 chip?

my focus is only with sony/ms, i am interested to see how these two can keep rivaling each other, pushing hardware further, giving devs the platform to push games to new boundaries.

nintendo i dont give a crap about and no im not going to turn this into a fanboy war, just the way the cookie crumbles.

i want to see something completely new and interested to see what Scorpio has to offer.

also the way i look at it is that when consoles improve hardware it tends to also give the console a longer life, and you get more use for your money, i mean look at how long the ps3/360 went on for and look how long the ps4/xbx1 have already been on the market.

And i have:
NES
SNES
MASTER SYSTEM
MEGADRIVE
GAMEGEAR
GB
GBC
GBA
GBASP
SATURN
N64
PS1
DREAMCAST
PS2
GAMECUBE
XBOX
PS3
WII
WII U
PS4
XBX1
SWITCH
PSP
PSV
DS
3DS
3DS LL

Last edited by ,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Most families tended to own one system simply because gaming was expensive. When accounted for inflation, games were several times more expensive and gaming systems were a commitment more so than a disposable good as they are today, especially computers which were prohibitively expensive until around the mid-90ies.

Yes... like I said only those families with a real interest in gaming AND the enough cash to do so, would own two systems.
That's exactly the same as it is today. There may be a slightly bigger percentage of people with both the will and means to own two consoles, or there may not. I personally don't know anybody with two current generation systems. I myself only have a 3DS and an Android box to cover my gaming needs.

The division was most obvious with the SNES vs. MD/Genesis - that was an all-out war between SEGA and Nintendo for every customer and every ad space. People were watching their favourite gaming characters like Mario and Sonic on TV, they were wearing them to school, they were reading the magazines...

Indeed. I vividly remember the readers pictures pages in most Sega and Nintendo magazines featuring (depending which "side" the magazine was for) Sonic or Mario being bashed or humiliated by the other party. But, in the UK at least, there were also plenty of multi-platform magazines - CVG (Computers and Video Games) and Mean Machines spring to mind; though Mean Machines split into two publications at around the time of 32X/Saturn. Mean Machines Sega and ....? (I don't know)

Today this kind of competition no longer takes place and while gaming gadgetry is widely available, it's really limited to the gamer culture in reach. I kind of wish we turned the tides back a little on that as fierce competition bred higher standards for products - companies took huge risks back then, now they reiterate what is tried and true with only glimmers of originality here and there.

I hold totally the opposite view. For me there's probably only about 10 "modern day" games I want to play these days...and to play the most up to date version of them all would require me investing in 2, or maybe 3 consoles. That's ridiculous and something I'm not prepared to do. I'd far rather there was one unified platform that supported all games.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reading such long article on my small p9+ makes my eyes bleed.
if you are wealthy enough there's no reason to buy home consols for multiplatform games since they perform much better on a high end gaming pc... There are maybe some few exclusive like blood borne, or uncharted... if you are experienced pc gamers who has a full HD 144/240hz monitor, you will never ever back to play these exclusives which run ridiculously at 30fps...

Well home consols in nowadays have lost their identity, u can find Batman, assassinscreed, MGS everywhere, back from the age of snes, sega, psx, n64.... Everyones Have their own IP, I think consol Nintondo is the only consols worth to buy, just to accompany ur 1500€ pc.

Regards

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading such long article on my small p9+ makes my eyes bleed.
if you are wealthy enough there's no reason to buy home consols for multiplatform games since they perform much better on a high end gaming pc... There are maybe some few exclusive like blood borne, or uncharted... if you are experienced pc gamers who has a full HD 144/240hz monitor, you will never ever back to play these exclusives which run ridiculously at 30fps...

Well home consols in nowadays have lost their identity, u can find Batman, assassinscreed, MGS everywhere, back from the age of snes, sega, psx, n64.... Everyones Have their own IP, I think consol Nintondo is the only consols worth to buy, just to accompany ur 1500€ pc.

Regards
problem with pc is its expensive, unless you pay to build a high end system, your likely to need upgrading to continue playing the same multi console ports that the console is still capable of running with the same old hardware.

i used to be an avid pc gamer and over time found windows is just shit when it comes to being a gaming platform, and to put it blunt pc gaming is nothing superior either... its the same game, same engine with the option to set settings higher.

the way pc gamers act is like pc gaming is superior, saying that and the hardware potential then maybe pc games should be getting titles that are next gen quality.

if i could be arsed to fix my pc, which can run todays games, but was built years ago when the current gen was ps3/360..... using this same logic to say pc gaming is superior.... then it should have been getting games like today while the consoles back then couldn't even dream of it.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's like asking "do you own a home game console" because just about everybody has a PC.
So 70% of people own home game consoles.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
problem with pc is its expensive, unless you pay to build a high end system, your likely to need upgrading to continue playing the same multi console ports that the console is still capable of running with the same old hardware.
interested to see what Scorpio has to offer.
Meanwhile, Dishonored 2 runs on a laptop I bought 3 years ago.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As i Said if you are'' wealthy enough :) '', playing multiplatform games on pc still remains the best choice, nuffing more to say if you can't afford it.

You can still build a 500bucks (at costs of a ps4 pro+3 years of osn+) budget gaming pc using amd/previous gen Intel components, chose a Hdd instead a SSD.

It ll still able to handle all upcoming next-gen games using your favourite controller.

Plus u can study, watching videos, editing, working, surfing microzozz INTERNET Explorer lol or playing Mario /God of war using Xbox 360's controller :) I don't think you can do the same on ps4xone

Last edited by leon315,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i Said if you are'' wealthy enough :) '', playing multiplatform games on pc still remains the best choice, nuffing more to the say if you can't afford it.

You can still build a 500bucks (at costs of a ps4 pro+3 years of osn+) budget gaming pc using amd/previous gen Intel components, chose a Hdd instead a SSD.

It ll still able to handle all upcoming next-gen games using your favourite controller.

Plus u can

i wonder if main reason people love pc gaming is how easy it is to pirate, even tho i do see the same question on why you can buy a pc game for next to nothing compared to the console version.

when in my eyes the game is identical, the pc version has a customization engine where as the console version is locked to the console spec.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's like asking "do you own a home game console" because just about everybody has a PC.
So 70% of people own home game consoles.

All pcs have hdmi/vga ports and supports natively Xbox controllers, plus there are ton of games ported from consols, so why not??

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
As i Said if you are'' wealthy enough :) '', playing multiplatform games on pc still remains the best choice, nuffing more to the say if you can't afford it.
There is more to say. There are many bad pc ports. A recent example is Nier Automata.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is more to say. There are many bad pc ports. A recent example is Nier Automata.
WHo cares, it's no the end of world just for few games are made of feet. .. You should try MGS rising, devil may cry 3,4,reboot or even killer is dead, if you like action games, they are excellent portings too

Last edited by leon315,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
All pcs have hdmi/vga ports and supports natively Xbox controllers, plus there are ton of games ported from consols, so why not??

I have a core i3 Skylake laptop which cost me about 30% more than a current gen console and all it does is run games designed for toasters. I'm buying a budget gaming PC and it costs 3 times what a PS4 does. PC gaming is definitely not cost effective for multiplatform titles.

This is a very cost effective gaming PC
as of now. $720 and as far as I remember PS4 or Xbox both go for $250 and come packed with a $50 controller and a $50 game.

Last edited by netovsk,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes... like I said only those families with a real interest in gaming AND the enough cash to do so, would own two systems.
That's exactly the same as it is today. There may be a slightly bigger percentage of people with both the will and means to own two consoles, or there may not. I personally don't know anybody with two current generation systems. I myself only have a 3DS and an Android box to cover my gaming needs.

Indeed. I vividly remember the readers pictures pages in most Sega and Nintendo magazines featuring (depending which "side" the magazine was for) Sonic or Mario being bashed or humiliated by the other party. But, in the UK at least, there were also plenty of multi-platform magazines - CVG (Computers and Video Games) and Mean Machines spring to mind; though Mean Machines split into two publications at around the time of 32X/Saturn. Mean Machines Sega and ....? (I don't know)

I hold totally the opposite view. For me there's probably only about 10 "modern day" games I want to play these days...and to play the most up to date version of them all would require me investing in 2, or maybe 3 consoles. That's ridiculous and something I'm not prepared to do. I'd far rather there was one unified platform that supported all games.
Oh, you misunderstand. I absolutely detest exclusive software - it's holding the software hostage to artificially inflate the value of hardware that may not be necessarily all that great - ideally consoles should be good in and out of themselves without alienating gamers like this. I can understand first-party exclusives, but when third-parties take sides it really irks me. My point was that manufacturers took bigger risks with hardware, they often used bleeding edge tech, often built in-house specifically for the purposes of gaming, and they banked more on the success of their solution. You could have a profoundly different experience with a game depending on your platform of choice. Today we see more "off the shelf" components and peripherals, which is kind of sad.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not really sure how to interpret the article. When it comes to the switch, it's pretty obvious that it's a hybrid with its console and handheld capabilities. There are laptops that double as tablets, and you don't even mention games that are developed for both mobile and consoles (okay...not much full blown AAA-titles yet, but with phones quickly catching up in horsepower it's bound to happen sooner or later). However, the gist of the article is more about a lessening in brand loyalty from the audience than something actively pursued by manufacturers.

In any case: if you ask me, this whole "console war" thing was over years ago. If PC wasn't an option, I'd say that the console wars is now one of a cartel of 3 manufacturers against their customers. The fact that PC's are just there and just get nearly all games just makes things rather awkward (why the hell would I even want a console if I can get every game I want from it on PC?).

Pfft hybrid gen my ass. If that's how things end up then I'm never buying a console again. This is why gaming PC's rule the industry.
Erm...you are aware of the irony that PC always has been 'hybrid' in the context as of how it's used in this thread, right? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: downloading a couple of puyo puyo ds games