?
  1. Yes - I only have either the Nintendo Wii U/Switch, only a PS4, only an Xbox One, or only a PC

28.5%
  2. No, I have some mix of the above.

71.5%
  3. 351 voter(s)
  1. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Gambia, The
    Before I had money, I just owned a Gamecube. It was very fun and I had all the things I really wanted. Later came the Wii and the PS2, also very great consoles with awesome games. Even later PS3 and Xbox 360. I never wanted these good graphics, but when I played it, it blew my mind. And I got an orgasm from playing Bayonetta on both consoles. That alone was worth it.

Then the time of the Wii U came.. a long starving time for games. But my good friend 3DS was there to and saved my life. Bought a PSP and a Vita for Danganronpa.. damn, it was so nice.

Today I own a Switch and a PS4. For the Switch there is Zelda which I already played, and No More Heroes, which I'm waiting for.
    The PS4 has entertained me, but not that much. Mirror's Edge was not that good, Until Dawn was okay.. waiting for Nier Automata to get cheap of course. And for the rest.. I don't care. I buy a console for the 5-8 title I really want and that's it. Xbox One? What should I buy that for? Quantum Break looks nice, but that is all there is for me.

..okay, I'm missing the point here.

What I want to say is: I want my Gamecube back!

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  2. The GameCube was a very powerful system for its time, second most powerful console of that era and the games really showed what it was capable of. Unfortunately, Nintendo used mini-DVDs for GameCube and so it left developers limited to the games and its sizes that they could port to the GC.

GTA could have run on GameCube (GTA on PSP, for example) but Rockstar at the time probably didn't give it too much thought.

Bimmel likes this.
  3. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Gambia, The
    It's a shame. But despite that, it became really really good.

They even did a GTA for the DS. Could've been a good promotion for the purple little guy if they did a GTA for it. :-(

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I own a Switch and a PC (and a Wii U if that counts as a thing), and I'm completely content with all the games I have except for Persona 5. Other than that I don't really have a reason to get a new Microsoft/Sony console.

5. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    There is another split though. It is one that not many think of. GPU/CPU brand exclusivity. There's some game that is coded to works better on AMD GPU, while other are coded to work better on NVIDIA one. The best example, albeit for Android, is Pokemon GO. Those poor person who were hyped for Pokemon GO, but couldn't get on the hype train because they have an Intel chip inside their phone. This will be the downfall of Android/PC gaming if nothing is done, since who in their sane mind (unless you have huge dosh to spend) would get multiple Android/PC system to play certain game.

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  6. Bonestorm

Bonestorm Banned
    Banned

Canada
    Sony and Nintendo.

Don't need anything else.

PC is souless and MS has nothing but bro shooters and racing games.

Last edited by Bonestorm, May 9, 2017
    Logan97 and invaderyoyo like this.
  7. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

PC/WiiU/3DS owner here, and i think i have more than enough.
    Work and real life kills nowadays the time i had to hardcore play, now i'm lucky with 4/5 hours a week...

Feeling old :sad::sad:

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Halo Wars 2 is easily one of the best RTS'es in recent years, State of Decay is a great zombie survival sim, Quantum Break is at the very least interesting and Sunset Overdrive is inFamous on acid. Besides, it's a very competent machine with cool multitasking capabilities - whenever I game on my PS4 I really miss the XBO's snap-on feature which allows me to watch YouTube or listen to my favourite podcasts while gaming, which is a huge plus. If you're not too fussed over exclusives (which I'm not), it's a perfectly viable choice. That, and the controller is just excellent.

So far you're not getting a whole lot of value considering the system only has three games that could be considered "big" (BOTW, Lego City: Undercover and MK8 Deluxe), and all three are Wii U ports. To me the Switch is yet to establish itself as a viable platform. It's selling like hotcakes right now, but long-term success will be dependent on the software library.

9. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Thailand
    I agree. When I was growing up, our family had both a MegaDrive and a SNES. A Gameboy and a GameGear.

In the PlayStation generation it was a bit different... Everyone had a PlayStation. I was one of the 5 people who had a Saturn. But a lot of people had an N64 to compliment their optical-based device of choice.

I remember knowing most people had either a PS2 or an XBOX, but some had both... And many people had a Dreamcast and/or a GameCube to compliment their setup.

PS3/Xbox/WiiU? I can't comment because I don't really know any game players these days...

It seems to me, then, that throughout the ages, people/families who could both afford and cared enough about games would have multiple consoles. Those that couldn't afford it, or only had a casual interest, would only have 1.

Nothing has changed...

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Most families tended to own one system simply because gaming was expensive. When accounted for inflation, games were several times more expensive and gaming systems were a commitment more so than a disposable good as they are today, especially computers which were prohibitively expensive until around the mid-90ies. The division was most obvious with the SNES vs. MD/Genesis - that was an all-out war between SEGA and Nintendo for every customer and every ad space. People were watching their favourite gaming characters like Mario and Sonic on TV, they were wearing them to school, they were reading the magazines, hell, they even ate them for breakfast as I distinctly remember Nintendo cereal being a thing. Today this kind of competition no longer takes place and while gaming gadgetry is widely available, it's really limited to the gamer culture in reach. I kind of wish we turned the tides back a little on that as fierce competition bred higher standards for products - companies took huge risks back then, now they reiterate what is tried and true with only glimmers of originality here and there.

Ryccardo and chavosaur like this.
  11. Xuman

Xuman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used to be one of those guys that was Nintendo or Bust during the 7th generation when I was younger. But after starting to collect special edition versions of consoles, and buying consoles ive never had in the past, I realized that I really did miss out on a lot. I now have a Wii U, PS4, and Xbone S for the 8th gen and the Switch for gen 9. Nintendo for Nintendo. Sony for JRPGS and Sony first parties, and Microsoft for everything else (basically the western games and using it as a media player) I think the real way to get the full gaming experience really is to have multiple ways to play, as well as multiple games to play.

12. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Canada
    Pfft hybrid gen my ass. If that's how things end up then I'm never buying a console again. This is why gaming PC's rule the industry.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. SaiTheOHaireDeliveryGuy

SaiTheOHaireDeliveryGuy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Nintendo x PC for me. No PS or Xbox exclusives draw me, and I get everything I want to play with that combo.

Pluupy likes this.
  14. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    People need to stop counting inflation in past prices. That's not how it works. Inflatuon means the value of your money has gotten weaker. It doesn't mean things bought in the past are suddenly twice as expensive. I slam my head against the floor every time someone makes the inflation argument

15. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

United States
    I only play 3DS and PC games since those two have the easiest access games to play. PC for forwards and backwards compatibility. 3DS for making lazy in any position.

I'm sure if I had more disposable income I would have more than one console, but I really don't see the need to own a Switch or Xbox One. The PS4 has better exclusives and the titles it shares with Xbox are always more superior in performance on Playstation than Xbox. The Switch is a paper weight at the moment.

If Microsoft cared more for the golden goose that is PC it could easily become a hybrid, open-dev console. AR glasses. A Microsoft Surface with powerful hardware. The Windows platform. Nintendo and Sony wouldn't stand a chance. Hope that may bring about the return of the Nintendo Playstation-a-gee.

16. Vipera

Vipera Banned
    Banned

United States
    Consoles aren't costing much nowadays. Gone is the PS1/PS3 era, or even when SNES games cost a lot due to the extra hardware. It's easier to get two consoles, but it's just not...convenient. Each damn system acts like they want to be your main one to a point where, to get the fluidest experience in owning two home consoles, you need two separate televisions and rooms. Hopefully one day Sony and Microsoft make the Playbox.

17. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

I got my Wii U post lifecycle on a whim and havent bought a single game so I don't count it. I have a PC and a 3DS, PC for general use/games and a 3DS for portable gaming. I don't see a need to buy a console as there aren't enough games on any to justify dropping that much money. Even if the Switch got games I'd enjoy, the hardware of the device is absolutely terrible for 2017 console. (Maybe if it got a proper Animal Crossing game :P)

18. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Prices have to be adjusted to inflation as wages were also lower. 30 years ago some jobs earned some 500 euros per month. Now the same may be 2500 euros. It's highly unlikely that someone would bad an eye for a console for 200/2500 but 200/500 is a vastly different matter.

TL;DR: inflation has to be considered if you want to compare apples to apples

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

I own a Wii U. No PS4, XBONE or Switch. My PC is shit. There are some great multiplatform games that I'd like to play but gaming isn't as important to me as it used to be. There are enough good games on the Wii U to keep me occupied. I'll buy a PS4 pro and Switch someday but for the time being I shall keep my money in my pocket (as much as Nintendo's pricing policy lets me).

20. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I have a Switch, Wii U, 3DS, and a PC. I have no interest in the Xbox exclusives, and when i have better internet I'll try using PSNow for the PlayStation exclusives.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

*slow blink*

I don't really think that's much of an issue. Intel chips are radically different from all other mobile chips, and require a special version of Android and for all programs to be rewritten to it. Only a few phones have Intel, and they have been written off as a failed project.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Hybrid,