Hacking The hunt for a perfect DS Lite

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have 5 dses the only perfect one is my old ds.
problems of the ds lite i encountered:
-clicky when opening
-pixel
-d-pad is hard!
-cracks
-d-pad doesn't respond every 5secs (i can tell when playing tetris and mario kart)
-yellow bottom screen

and now all my dslites broke and i have an old one
sleep.gif
"
the dslite is my favorite system ever but its so easy to break. all my friends has one and some of them broke from the L-R buttons just dying out and don't respond no more).

but advice to all you people: be careful to never drop your ds because even if nothing happens a crack will form sooner or later and your ds power led piece will pop out. pretty obvious but yea.

I think it's BEST to buy your ds lites at COSTCO because you have a free 1 year warranty and you can just return it if your screen cracks or whatever. Really it works....

ps: i'm buying my 6th ds lite soon wish me luck =]

Initial D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you thought that it didn't any worse, I noticed one more thing to look out for: (not sure if this has been mentioned)

A few of the DS's I've saw up close have a little problem having to do with the alignment of the touch screen. Some of them aren't perfectly straight and tilted to one side (ever so slightly) or not are perfectly center. Mine is straight but shifted about one-two rows of pixels down from being perfectly center.

I just really noticed this when I installed my touchscreen protector and had to compensate for the screen being not perfectly center (in my case, I had to install it a little down from center position). A few days later, I went to a cousin's party where there were 6 of us who had DS and inspected their screens and saw 3 which were a little tilted.

The perfect DS Lite is hard to find...
bow.gif
to those who own one.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first bought a launch DSphat, it had two dead pixels in the top screen. I couldn't stand it, but had to wait until the stores got it back in stock. The replacement took a month to get, but it was perfect and is now in the hands of my niece who enjoys it immensely. I sold it to her shortly after getting a black DSlite. I waited to buy a lite until a black one was made available in the USA.

I lucked out, it is perfect. No dead pixels, no touchscreen issues...perfect. And on the first lite I bought too.
wub.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, little update here...
I exchanged my old DS Lite with a new one....Well, the new one isn't touchscreen perfect either. I discovered after a few weeks that overall it's very responsive but in the center of the screen again I really have to press the stylus to make it respond...

I hope they will fix this irritating problem on the DS2!

Aturaten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've returned a DS Lite 5 times. 5 TIMES. The problems were:

1. DS screen scratched like hell (first one). You could actually see it scratc
2. The hinges continually crackled when opened (second)
3. The screen was grainy as hell, it had a green tinge, and had a delay in touch screen
4. Crackling hinges
5. Touch screen jumped

My current one has a very slight pink tint on the top screen but it's finally fine.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
mine has these problems:
1-hinge crack which doesnt get to expand anymore and does anymore damage.
2- recently the turn off/on button is working like 4 times in 5 tries. sometimes it skips it (which is OK so far).

since my hinge didnt expand in like 2months and i'm in asia and got my DS from USA and i have to get a relative change it for me, do you think its worth getting a replace one? i'm scared of getting even worse DSL.

whats ur opinion?

Siro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also join the party of screwed up DS Lite touch screens mine also sux loads of problems with it the old Phat one one works perfect.

EVIL9000

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.evilart.biz
XP
Country
Netherlands
only a light yellowish tinge on the bottom screen, doesn't bother me at all.
And the center of the touchscreen is less responsive then the corners, only really noticeable when you play with Colors! and you draw a line from one side to the other (breaks the line)

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
mine has these problems:
1-hinge crack which doesnt get to expand anymore and does anymore damage.
2- recently the turn off/on button is working like 4 times in 5 tries. sometimes it skips it (which is OK so far).

since my hinge didnt expand in like 2months and i'm in asia and got my DS from USA and i have to get a relative change it for me, do you think its worth getting a replace one? i'm scared of getting even worse DSL.

whats ur opinion?

hmm?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
And the center of the touchscreen is less responsive then the corners, only really noticeable when you play with Colors! and you draw a line from one side to the other (breaks the line)

Now that's strange isn't it? My biggest complaint was the responsiveness of the touch screen. So far no one has reported that problem. And now a fellow dutchman has the same problem. And it was only on a dutch forum I saw the same problem described. It's exactly what I described. Less responsive in the middle, which is annoying because suddenly you have to press harder.
So it almost seems that the touch-response issue is something typical for dutch DSes!?!? THAT SUCKS!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think