Hacking the gecko region free .elf file makes me think of something...

shred6waves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since there is already a .elf out that makes the wii region free, is there any possibility that we will ever see a .elf file that can somehow make the wii play back-up games without a modchip?

very curious...
huh.gif

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Short reply: No.

Long reply: The region locking is done with the software. The ability to load a burned disc, instead of a regular one, is done by the hardware.

You have better chances of a mod coming out to read discs from a Wii HDD (if one ever exist) rather than loading a burned game without a chip.

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
If SDHC compatibility is added in the future, whether officially or otherwise, you may be able to boot an image from the SD slot.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rykin said:

Long reply: The region locking is done with the software. The ability to load a burned disc, instead of a regular one, is done by the hardware.

You have better chances of a mod coming out to read discs from a Wii HDD (if one ever exist) rather than loading a burned game without a chip.
That's not entirely true. It is indeed software related, but not the Wiis. It's the DVD drive firmware that needs to be hacked in order to get it working
wink.gif

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
elfsander said:
Rykin said:

That's not entirely true. It is indeed software related, but not the Wiis. It's the DVD drive firmware that needs to be hacked in order to get it working
wink.gif
Just like the XBOX 360 drives

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Ben_j said:

I don't have a XBOX360 but iirc it has a fairly standard SATA drive, thus allowing people to connect it to their PCs and flash it there.

I'm guessing the Wii drive is more custom made so I'd reckon it would be more difficult. Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though*

*As long as it doesn't become as easy as the Dreamcast to pirate... R.I.P.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
robi said:
Ben_j said:

I don't have a XBOX360 but iirc it has a fairly standard SATA drive, thus allowing people to connect it to their PCs and flash it there.

I'm guessing the Wii drive is more custom made so I'd reckon it would be more difficult. Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though*

*As long as it doesn't become as easy as the Dreamcast to pirate... R.I.P.

An adaptor will surface at some point, they always do!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1