Gaming The Future of of PSP CFW after Prometheus?

Do you think another individual will continue the PSP CFW, Prometheus?

• No, the PSP scene is doomed. Besides, the new PSP2 is coming.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, there will always be another rebel to continue the work of a fallen comrade.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nah, The PSPGEN is the future.

• Nope, someone else will create an entirely NEW CFW.

• Don't think so, but this 6.20 Kernel TN Exploit looks interesting to me...

• M33 will hold out right??

• Total voters

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/sigh, per usual. You have kids in their lower teens reading this site regularly. Lets please keep up the swearing, and profane references. >.> Show those stupid kids what it means to be an adult with nothing better to do than troll forums.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Then why is everybody concerned with the NUMBER of updates?

Because actually having people bouncing ideas off each other spurs development of quality and further interest in the scene....like some great attractor. All we have now are hordes of people with zero clue populating large sites, reposting ancient topics and clamouring for the latest releases in their grammatically exasperating multitudes. (many of which wouldn't know what the PSP sounds like with a UMD in the drive if it punched them in the eye)

We don't have quality any more...we have a handful of people who know what they're doing. No one else is interested and that's why it's sad....even if there were half baked homebrews it'd show some enthusiasm in the PSP scene.

Rydian, i'm not arguing for rubbish, i'm arguing for a reinvigoration beyond leeching 8 year olds who don't actually own any real games. That comes with intelligent activity.

(And quick edit - for the record i didn't vote M33.....
tongue.gif
)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You're asking the wrong person, but people never thought CPS1 or 2 would run as well as they do and look now....simulating the MMU slows things too much to be worth considering (PSPUAE is slower because of this simulation i believe) but i'm sure if we had people who were interested and knew what they were doing there's still bags of potential left in the system.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The kind of people that could do more with are generally the people who are too busy getting paid for their skills, though.
tongue.gif

Also there's not much recognition anymore. Be one of the first guys to make useful stuff for a new system and people will remember your name. Be one of the last and nobody gives a fuck.

GreatCrippler said:
Rydian said:
What else can be done with the PSP, though? I mean it lacks an MMU, even.
ZSNES! I can dream. >.>
Written in x86 assembly.

Besides, the newer version is going to have a rewritten GUI.

I'm not happy about that last point either...

c_house

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to come out with a version of the PS3Jailbreak for the PSP and PSP Go, but i think there will always be someone to take up the challenge.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
KingVamp said:
Go tube!!!!!
GoTube is a nice concept, but lots of sites constantly update their video players, and GoTube slowly but steadily becomes incompatible with all of 'em (e.g. YouTube no longer works, neither do a couple of other sites of which I can't remember the names).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
xist said:
You're asking the wrong person, but people never thought CPS1 or 2 would run as well as they do and look now....simulating the MMU slows things too much to be worth considering (PSPUAE is slower because of this simulation i believe) but i'm sure if we had people who were interested and knew what they were doing there's still bags of potential left in the system.
Actually, the Amiga lacks an MMU. The only CPUs who used an MMU on the Amiga were the 68030, 68040 and 68060, which didn't appear in any of the mainstream Amigas (500/600/1200). There wasn't a SINGLE game which required an MMU, iirc. So PSPUAE isn't emulating one. It's too bad that PSPUAE doesn't even run fullspeed
frown.gif
FOL did a great work in trying to pick up PSPUAE, but sadly, it's a really difficult architecture, and it most certainly needed a really skilled coder which could make aggressive optimizations, to make it run fullspeed on the PSP.

Rydian said:
GreatCrippler said:
QUOTE(Rydian @ Dec 5 2010, 04:13 PM) What else can be done with the PSP, though? I mean it lacks an MMU, even.
ZSNES! I can dream. >.>
Written in x86 assembly.
Lol what a coincidence, I was playing with Snes9x on my PSP today and then thought "It's a shame that ZSNES was coded in x86 ASM, I would like a ZSNES port"
rofl2.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
There wasn't a SINGLE game which required an MMU, iirc. So PSPUAE isn't emulating one.

I actually ripped that example from a post on dcemu...don't shoot the "re-poster"
biggrin.gif

The point was that just because it doesn't have an MMU doesn't mean that all hope is lost.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
KingVamp said:
Go tube!!!!!
GoTube is a nice concept, but lots of sites constantly update their video players, and GoTube slowly but steadily becomes incompatible with all of 'em (e.g. YouTube no longer works, neither do a couple of other sites of which I can't remember the names).
Youtube works fine, I watch TAS videos on it every night.
Remember to run the included radio plugin with it to download the latest .js files for the sites you want to watch, that keeps it updated.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
xist said:
raulpica said:
There wasn't a SINGLE game which required an MMU, iirc. So PSPUAE isn't emulating one.

I actually ripped that example from a post on dcemu...don't shoot the "re-poster"
biggrin.gif

The point was that just because it doesn't have an MMU doesn't mean that all hope is lost.
Lol, okay then.

Sincerely, I don't see the issue in not having a MMU on the PSP
unsure.gif
It would only help with emus which need to manage MASSIVE amounts of caching [and NJ's emus are a good example of how those limits can also be circumvented] and uuhhh... porting linux.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For some reason that plugin no longer works for me, so that's probably why the sites don't work anymore, either...

Maybe I'll give reinstalling everything a try, it doesn't hurt to try.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
But now it's been mentioned....YEAH! I WANT A FULL SPEED AMIGA EMULATOR!(for all the non memory expansion games) Want to relive the A500 glory days....

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
xist said:
But now it's been mentioned....YEAH! I WANT A FULL SPEED AMIGA EMULATOR!(for all the non memory expansion games) Want to relive the A500 glory days....
Heh, me too. I'm still waiting for an Handheld capable of emulating a fullspeed AGA Amiga. For now I guess I should just continue expanding my Towered A1200
tongue.gif

Rydian said:
QUOTE(raulpica @ Dec 5 2010, 07:14 PM) Sincerely, I don't see the issue in not having a MMU on the PSP
unsure.gif
Proper multitasking, mainly. Also a non-gimped version of linux.
XMB still wouldn't support one, even if an MMU would magically appear in a PSP.
iRShell also showed how true (kinda) multitasking was possible on a PSP2000 without using an MMU (I guess they just divided the RAM in two 32MB chunks and did some re-addressing).

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Rydian said:
I thought what IRshell did was akin to save and loading state? I mean that's possible with CMFusion, so it could be used as a way to fake the use of virtual memory for that specific instance (though neither program is active at the same time as the other).
Never searched too much into it, but I do remember the change to be instantaneous (states should have some lag in loading/saving), so I always thought that it kinda left the apps in a "frozen" state until it activated them again.

True that, but c'mon, does the PSP really need multitasking, when the XMB clearly doesn't support that?
tongue.gif
It's not that vital, especially in developing emulators or homebrew in general.

Let's hope that the PSP2 will have one, tho
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y