dokaebi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Considering the fact that we now have our first dual layer release out, do you think that a majority of the newer releases will be migrating to DVD9?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The prices wouldn't skyrocket. PS3 games are on Blu-Ray, and they aren't anymore money than Xbox 360 games, which are DL, which are not a lot more expensive than Wii games. What I see with the Wii is DVD5, with the odd DVD9 release that needs the extra space. I don't anticipate a lot more DVD9 games for Wii.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends if there are many games that need the space.

personally i also think that the majority of future games for the wii will only need to stick to single layer.

because clearly, you have to have a hell of alot of extra content like in smash to warrant the need for extra space, considering the wii doesn't output high definition.

lordkieranos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Future Zelda??????????????????

I hope so!
cool.gif

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dual layer disks cost a whole lot of extra money, so the developers will want to keep the game somewhat small to keep the prices at a minimum.
It's not because it's cost a whole lot more to you that it costs a lot more to them.

When you're printing batches of 100 000 copies, the difference must be minimal between DVD5 and DVD9.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dual layer disks cost a whole lot of extra money, so the developers will want to keep the game somewhat small to keep the prices at a minimum.

It's not because it's cost a whole lot more to you that it costs a lot more to them.

When you're printing batches of 100 000 copies, the difference must be minimal between DVD5 and DVD9.

I would think that would be the opposite. Yes, they'd get bulk discounting, but if you have a 5 gig game it'd probably be more economical to cut something down to fit it in a DVD5 than to pay for the DVD9 disks. Since they are more expensive, those costs over 100k+ copies adds up.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I would think that would be the opposite. Yes, they'd get bulk discounting, but if you have a 5 gig game it'd probably be more economical to cut something down to fit it in a DVD5 than to pay for the DVD9 disks. Since they are more expensive, those costs over 100k+ copies adds up.

Exactly, for each cent more it costs per disc, over 100,000 units is $1000. If you've got a million seller, this could easily be $10,000+ extra in production.

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
In summary, if developers are ready to print their games on blu-ray disks, on a console that has 40% the user base that the Wii has, I doubt they'll care enough to cut down features to go to a DVD5 instead of releasing their whole game on a DVD9.

I was objecting the argument that developers will want to keep their games small to put them on DVD5 instead of DVD9, not how they won't cut down, say 1 character or 1 special effect to make the DVD5 cut.

Rando

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Exactly, for each cent more it costs per disc, over 100,000 units is $1000. If you've got a million seller, this could easily be $10,000+ extra in production.

If Nintendo has a million seller on their hands they aren't worried about $10,000.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well... buying single-layer discs in bulk is much much cheaper than dual-layer. Probably on the order around 80 cents more per disc. But even still, then it costs about $3.80 to manufacture a game instead of $3.00. And at $50 a game, that's a profit of like $46.20 instead of $47.00. I highly doubt I'd be hurting. Besides, how many PS2 DVD9 games were there? I don't think even 1% of all games were DVD9s despite the fact that Xenosaga was one of the first.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
You'll only ever use DVD9 if you need the storage. Any DVD9 drive can also read DVD5 so you'll use whichever is big enough to fit your game.

Also one DVD9 is cheaper than 2 DVD5s (even moreso when you factor in the special 2-disc case needed).

I got a quote on the cost of printing 50000 discs and its 85c a disc for DVD5 and $1.42 for DVD9s. These prices are for a service in Australia converted into US dollars.

Lets assume the difference between DVD5 and DVD9 for Nintendo is 50c, if Brawl sells 5m copies thats 2.5m spent on using a higher capacity disc. As such you can understand why you'd want to use DVD9 only where needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show