The DSi's Firmware

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DeltaBurnt, Mar 28, 2009.

Mar 28, 2009

The DSi's Firmware by DeltaBurnt at 3:17 PM (8,387 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. DeltaBurnt
    OP

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Well here we are. About a week from the DSi's release in the US. But this topic isn't for that, it's for the firmware.

The firmware has had alot of people worried that your flashcart could be working fine but then the next time you turn your DSi on it will quickly update and it won't work.

Ok...yah that sounds plausible, and it probably will happen. But don't forget, anything (and I mean anything) can be bypassed with time. Thus bringing about custom firmware. Some people here might know of the PSP and it's custom firmware. With custom firmware the possibilities have been made endless. And now with the DS it seems even more endless.

First let's start with installing the custom firmware. I mean think about it, there could be many ways:
    • Game/Save Exploit (Such as the Gripshift exploit for the PSP and TP exploit for the Wii)
    • You could run a rom on a flashcart
    • With DSiWare someone could even make a custom DSiWare program that your could run on your SD card and it would install custom firmware
    • And many more ways too
    Now onto what we could do:
    • We could run roms straight from the DSi Menu, no flash cart needed
    • We could have custom channels (firefox channel, homebrew channel, action replay channel?)
    • We could virtually take Nintendo's Firmware out of the picture. Instead of auto updating for Nintendo's next firmware it would be for the next custom firmware.
    • DSiWare roms (believe me, it will eventually happen)
    • Emulator Channel! It's already been proven that the DSi is capable of running GBA games in slot 1 (with it's virtual console). So we could easily make up for the missing GBA slot!
    • Camera Enabled Homebrew?
    • Video Channel?
    • Probably much much more!
    Now some might say that this is impossible since Nintendo probably learned from Sony's big mistakes and made it impossible to get custom firmware.

Well I'd have to say it's the exact opposite. Nintendo has seemed to ignore Sony completely, we have even more possibilities than the PSP. And remember anything can be bypassed with time.

So stop with the worrying and start with the merriment and joy!

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    I agree with this. It will eventually get hacked.

Almost all consoles (from what I know) are hackable if they have firmware that gets updated. Most people just put custom ones to fix up their problems and they are free to do what ever is needed.

I wonder what the Game exploit for the DSi will be. Since the DS Lite and Phat had firmwares that never got updated, people just sticked with flashcarts and never needed to change. I bet the DSi is gonna have a hacked up firmware and then they use SD Card to load their games xDD

3. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    The only thing I really want to know is how long it will take. Because for the PSP it took about 2-3 years.

I was thinking of asking Dark_Alex, the father of custom firmware for the PSP, to look into DSi custom firmware once it comes out. But I doubt he'll listen.

4. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    When are these useless posts going to end!? Yes, we are all aware of what the DSi can do, and yes it will likely get hacked. Just shut the fuck up about it and wait. And for fuck's sake, stop comparing the DSi to the PSP! And where exactly was it proven "the DSi is capable of running GBA games in slot 1 (with it's virtual console)!?" There has been NO announcement of a DSi VC. It's all lies, speculation and ignorance. Sure, it MAY happen, but it has not been proven and it simply does not exist.

Also, PSP hacking did NOT take 2-3 years. It was "hacked" almost immediately since the first set of firmwares allowed unsigned code to be executed. D_A will like not listen to anyone asking him because he's got all sorts of ungrateful, ignorant people telling him to do it. He does this stuff in his spare time and will do it if it interests him, not because some sniveling nubs ask him to do it.

I'll tell you what the exploit will be. It will be a buffer overflow. That is the exact thing that has allowed the Wii and PSP to be hacked in every instance. Twilight Hack, GripShift, Lumines, GTA, TIFF exploit, all buffer overflow exploits. When will these companies learn?

EDIT: I just found this: http://i.gizmodo.com/5181894/virtual-conso...to-nintendo-dsi which is pretty exciting, but it's still not confirmed and the other 90% of my post still stands.

EDIT2: And I just noticed that this is the same rumor that was reported a little while ago (I didn't realize it had been confirmed that it was mentioned at a Club Nintendo event). I'm still not sure I buy it, but I'm crossing my fingers for a DSi VC (that would put it over the top on whether or not to buy it).

5. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    OH yea. And you know how everyone is scared for their DSis to be updated right away, won't there be some setting like WiiConnect24. turn it off, and it should stop auto updating?

Or... Just not go Wifi xD

Virtual console is gonna be exciting~! I am for sure gonna get Summon Night Sowrd Craft Story 1 and 2 and Both Fire Emblem Games (Not the one iwth Roy, unless they translated it)

6. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, there's no chance of there being any Connect24 bit for DSi. 24/7 wifi connection makes absolutely no sense whatsoever on a portable device.

7. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Yeah, DSiConnect24 would be pointless as it would put a constant drain on your DSi's battery.

Still, with firmware updates and whatnot, I'm gonna wait for a few of them before even saving up for a DSi, just to make sure which flashcards are and aren't gonna work with the DSi, and to see if a custom firmware is made that has any of the amazing features Delta mentioned.

8. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    Oh I wasn't saying people would be afraid that their firmware would auto update even when it's off. I was saying the second you turned it on it would try to connect to the internet to see if there's updates.

And they might go the Sony route as well and make updating required to play certain games. I mean they've already "kinda" done that with the Wii.

EDIT: Another way of installing custom firmware is if we see that Nintendo is putting updates onto game cards, then flash cart makers could make cards that include custom firmware updates instead.

9. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Fortunately, they can only really do that with DSiWare (bundling required updates), not retail DS carts, as they're supposed to be playable in not-able-to-be-updated-DSs. My primary fear with the custom firmware is that the connection to Nintendo WFC could be more invasive than the PSP's connection to the Playstation Store, which may allow Nintendo to detect modified firmware where Sony can't (this assumes that Sony would have been doing this if they could have).

10. DeltaBurnt
    OP

United States
    Yah I was actually kinda of worried with connecting to PSN on my PSP that had custom firmware for that same reason.

And also the retail carts might be reprogrammed to detect if you're on a DSi or Lite/Phat.

11. Agent007

Member Agent007 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    eh ... It just all comes down to this ... Wait until April 5th and Hope that some hacker dude will check out the hardware and see if it can be hacked ..

P.S. Lemme tell you ... If some college student in U.S. unlock the iPhone (1st Gen) There will be bound for someone to make a custom firmware for DSi

12. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    but now your just giving Nintendo more safety precautions...
    more things to bypass

13. kyomagi

Member kyomagi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    base on what i have heard, best buy stores around the usa already have the DSi's. Its seems that the news that AU's dsi working with the acekard 2i gives us hope that its going to be "working with flash carts out of the box"

also, imo, the EU dsi scare is fake from other things i hear, the "source" has no proof like oz does.

14. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Even if it doesn't work, you can just grab yourself a JP DSi, although of course they'll eventually make something for it, if flashcarts work we're already a lot closer and we can also probably already access the chipset inside and make updates to the firmware, the problem is dumping the firmware, playing around with it, finding exploits, etc.

15. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Does anyone know exactly how people like Dark_Alex figure this stuff out? If it doesn't require too much extra hardware and just programming knowledge, I might try to look into it. Also note, just because I only have 4 posts or whatever doesn't mean I'm a nub.

16. kyomagi

United States
    well since the chipset in the acekard 2i is based for the dsi, it should only require a firmware update to get it working. I will know sunday morning when i get mine. I'll test it the second i get home from best buy

17. Skyline969

Canada
    Perhaps you could make a video proving it does or does not work? That would confirm it more than someone just saying it doesn't work.

18. kyomagi

United States
    sure i can do a video if it works, if you bare with my digi cam as a video recorder lol

19. Skyline969

Canada
    Fine by me, kyomagi. It would be enough to prove if the AK2i works or not. Just as long as the screens are visible and not too blurry so that we can't read them.

20. x-mah-D

Banned x-mah-D Banned

Australia
    Who who who hold up there,
    The kids pointing out what could happen jesus....
    He can compare it to the psp because it's another console with the same sort of protection, everythings hackable and it you dont agree your a flamin' nutcase.
    And the companys dont really care about save exploits because they dont have access to the dsi firmware,file system(sept from saves),sd slot, nuttn. we need to get a dsiware or a dsi game exploit its save, then and only then we can get up a save exploit that could do some damage.
    Don't be a fucking asshole over a game system..
    This forum seems to be wraped in there consoles...