Hardware The DSi XL has bigger screens

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is a LOT of buzz over the new DS model, and that is all well and good. But, I don't give a shit about the new machine.

I ONLY bought the DSi XL because bigger screens meant easier to play on.

Camera? I don't really care. SD card slot? I have yet to care.

3d images? hmm I am sooooo under interested.

The resolution difference? I can't say it will mean shit to anything I play on a DS.

I am not saying people won't enjoy their new doodad, but, I won't have any real interest in it myself. I was an easy sell when I was given 90 bucks for a perfectly fine condition DS lite so I could more easily afford the DSi XL which is a great deal easier to see. Hey, smaller is not always better. Bigger is not always better too, but there are always limits on anything.

The next device I expect to be fiddling with, likely will look amazingly like the HP Slate.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
But!... The DSi XL aren't getting a OoT remake!
biggrin.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the graphics? They look pretty good, better than the current PSP. Even without 3D on.

Or the games? It has an overwhelmingly strong list of titles already, from both first and third parties.

Or the analog stick? Analog sticks are always nice.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have to bear in mind the 3DS has slightly higher resolution screens, while being the same size.

This probably means a black border around any DS game played on the 3DS, making the image even smaller.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tk_saturn said:
You have to bear in mind the 3DS has slightly higher resolution screens, while being the same size.

This probably means a black border around any DS game played on the 3DS, making the image even smaller.
But, because it is smaller, it might be much sharper if done well, it's good for your eyes to watch a smaller image on a screen. Of course, I can understand that, when someone hasn't got perfect eyesight, bigger pixels and lower resolution might actually be a gift.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just thought of something....How will they make another Toon Link Zelda game?! I really enjoyed the series and i hope they stick with the same mechanics instead of going 3D. But the 3ds is nice
bow.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
it's good for your eyes to watch a smaller image on a screen.
Yeah Right.

The DS frame on the 3DS will be bigger than the GBA frame on the DS, presuming they use frames again.

DSi XL
ultimate-band-ds-screenshot%20copy222.jpg

DS
ultimate-band-ds-screenshot%20copy.jpg

DS on 3DS
ultimate-band-ds-screensho3t%20copy.jpg

On the 3DS there is so much plastic surrounding the screens, so why can't they bump up the screen sizes a little? Especially the top screen, would be awesome for watching movies.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no prupose to buying a DSI XL after 3DS has been in the buzz for the past several months. Even the people at BOTH gamestop stores I visit who constantly try to shovel Metal Gear games which I won't buy (I haven't finished any of my metal gear games yet, mind you so why would I need more..that's just like saying we need another Paper mario but oops...........or another mario galaxy, oops again.) tell me that they either think the DSI XL is too big or it is just a waste of shelf space and that nobody will really take it anywhere due to the size "it isn't really a portable game any more".

Will I get a 3DS, maybe....but I doubt I'll need to buy it right away at launch and I know Nintendo is going to short supply vendors like they always do with DS Lite and Wii. This is a system that one will HAVE TO preorder if they want it at launch, unlike the XL.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I fell in love with the 3DS as soon as they revealed it, I'm not even mad the fact I got my DSi less than a year ago and if the rumours are true I could get it by Christmas. I think I might get the red 1 or the blue 1, oh I don't know they both look so sexy!

G

GentleFist

tk_saturn said:

i first thought it will be stretched... but thinking about gba on ds it could have a border

they should stretch it would be much better~

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
If screen size is your only qualm about the sexy new handheld, you sure are going to miss out on a lot.
frown.gif

If it's any consolation, the screens have more pixels crammed into the screen than the DS line...

By the way... I think the purpose of the DSi XL was for multiple people to be able to view the screen easily. Not for the visibility of one person...

Anyway, even though the screens are tiny, I think it'll be a worthy tradeoff. Besides, there's always future redesigns.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let us not forget this might not be their final design, they'll listen to what people think and make the appropriate changes. Personally I don't care what size the screens are 'cause it's just super sexy.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to say, I agree with Panzer on this subject. But personally, I'm fine with the DSlite myself. I just can't bring myself to give up slot2. If they made a DS lite XL, I'd have been all over it.

The 3DS? If a flashcart or hack comes out to play 3DS backups on it, then I'll get one, but not before.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't care if it gets hacked or not I'm still gonna be all over it like a rash when it's released. I can't wait, I haven't been this excited about a console since I got my DSL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up