The donor show!

Are you (going to be) a donor?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, But I would also refuse a donor organ if I get sick.

• No, But I would except a donor organ if I get sick

• Total voters

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You meight have heard from it thanks to the media hype,

The donor show!

QUOTE said:
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- A 37-year-old woman suffering from an inoperable brain tumor wants to donate a kidney before she dies and will choose the recipient from among three contestants on Dutch national television, a TV network said Tuesday, claiming it wants to highlight a crisis in organ donations.

Asked to intervene, the government said it was unable to stop the broadcast, regardless of how distasteful -- and even unethical -- it might be. And it's unclear whether the contestants are a medical match with the terminally ill woman, and whether the winner would be capable of receiving her kidney.

The publicly financed television network, BNN, said it intends to go ahead with the program on Friday, drawing attention to the hundreds of people who die each year for lack of a kidney transplant.

The scheduled broadcast of "The Big Donor Show" reached the floor of parliament after a member of the governing Christian Democrats, Joop Atsma, questioned whether a public contest for a lifesaving organ would cross the boundary of merely objectionable to actually illegal.

"The information I have right now tells me that the program is unfitting and unethical, especially due to the competitive element, but it's up to program makers to make their choices," responded Education Minister Ronald Plasterk.

Government interference would amount to censorship, he said.

BNN defended the program. "Some people will think it's tasteless, but we think the reality is even more shocking and tasteless: Waiting for an organ is just like playing the lottery," said network chairman Laurens Drillich.

"The Big Donor Show" is produced by Endemol NV, which created the "Big Brother" concept in 1999 and marketed it around the world, setting off the rage of reality TV.

The network identified the donor only as "Lisa." During the show, she will hear interviews with the three candidates, their families and friends before choosing who will get her kidney.

Viewers will be able to vote for a candidate via SMS text message, but the final determination will be Lisa's, BNN said.

Though she intended to donate the kidney while still alive, she would be free to donate other organs after her death under the normal organ allotment system, said BNN spokeswoman Marieke Saly.

When you first read this you will say wtf!! But the real reason for this show is the fact that there are way to much egocentric hypocrits that refuse to be a donor when they pass away put on the otherhand when they get sick they want to be the first on the list te get a donor organ! In the Netherlands we have a shortage of donors, every year a lot of young and older people die from several diseases, they could have been helpt but thanks to the donor shortage they could not get their organ in time.

The main purpose of this show was to get attention for donor's. And it worked! It's being hyped everywhere, only a bit out of purportions.

So my question is:

Are you (going to be) a donor?

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
although it's a way of advertising the great need for donor organs how crass.
i've been on the organ donor register for 16 years now
ph34r.gif
ok so i'm showing my age.
laugh.gif

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
I cant beleive the hype surrounding this show... i wish people would just get over the political correctness..

..encourages organ donation
..saves lives

the positives outweigh the negatives

the people who dont like it dont have to watch it... period

i voted yes
biggrin.gif

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I cant beleive the hype surrounding this show... i wish people would just get over the political correctness..

..encourages organ donation
..saves lives

the positives outweigh the negatives

the people who dont like it dont have to watch it... period

i voted yes
biggrin.gif
I'm totally with you on that! Even our gouverment said they would rather not see it broadcasted, but they said we can't forbid it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tjas it was also governments that passed the DMCA, patriot act, declaration of independence (or your local equivalents) and numerous other "good" choices for laws.

As for the matter at hand personally I do not care either way, reality shows have never interested me in the slightest (quite in fact it has so very nearly sent me on a rampage when someone insisted on talking about it for several hours: last time I take a coach and forget my headphones).

Organ donation, if there is enough left of my body when I catch a bullet slice me up. Probably should get a card first though.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The sad thing is that 2 people will go home with out the organ...

You're wrong. Everyone will receive an organ transplant, though one of them will receive theirs before the other two because they won the contest. I will paypal you 50 dollars if both of the "losers" die because they didn't receive their transplants.

There will be tense moments, people will cry, people will fight, etc. It will be just like all other reality TV in that regard. But people will watch thinking that actual lives hang in the balance, when in fact they do not - that would just cause too much outrage.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So all three contestants are compatible and can receive the kidney?

I shall now quote myself on this one:

Our local newspaper said the show featured one patient and several prospective donors, and the donors are eliminated by medical screenings, and the "winner" gets to donate the organ. And the show was supposed to show people that it's really really hard to find a compatible donor, or something.

Okay, either our papers got something wrong, or I got something wrong, or BBC got something wrong. Hmm. Let's see. When it comes to credibility and/or competence, I'll admit to be fighting for first place with BBC, if we don't take political news into consideration (where I'm in the lead, because I have, um, competence), while our local papers are so far behind on competence and/or credibility I turn to Teletubbies for news, well, anyway, in any case, I'll never admit to getting anything wrong, I'll grudgingly admit that BBC may have gotten something right, and I'll be very happy to agree that our local papers got everything wrong.

I prefer my version of the show.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
You're wrong. Everyone will receive an organ transplant, though one of them will receive theirs before the other two because they won the contest. I will paypal you 50 dollars if both of the "losers" die because they didn't receive their transplants.

There will be tense moments, people will cry, people will fight, etc. It will be just like all other reality TV in that regard. But people will watch thinking that actual lives hang in the balance, when in fact they do not - that would just cause too much outrage.
You have good point there!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o