Hacking The Definitive R4/M3s Cheat Editor Tutorial / FAQ

Bouncy1973

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes thank you bfoos... I have read 'ALL OF THIS IN THE FIRST POST' ...I have also tried with both blank and not... but that doesn't seem to be the reason why it doesn't work
cry.gif

Bouncy1973

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it works now...
laugh.gif

All I did was ignore everything on the FAQ, and just use the cheat.dat that is provided with the new M3 1.04 release (it wasn't on the first one i downloaded).

Did anyone mention that it was THAT simple? The codes for nearly every game I have are all there...
wacko.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I posted this elsewhere but you may find this a help for your FAQ, and its saves alot of time as well

Actually you can make your own complete list quite easily. I found something out a while back when I was looking through AR's code to find out why my real ARDS didn't work. ( Support was less than poor form the support people ). Don't think this is common knowledge but it may now prove helpful for the new cheat option.

When the AR software looks for updates it references the following link internally

http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay...codelist_eu.asp

If you download it you will find its the list of European game codes in xml, so just save it as an xml.

If you change the last part to us.asp then you will find its the list of US game codes and jp.asp for the Japanese games

Unless they change their software to stop people who don't have an ARTS downloading the files, you can just keep getting tour updates from there.

Hope this helps people with R4's ( like me )

don't use this link, the codelists xml files provided in that link are not complete, you shall see for yourselves when you download it and compare it to the xml files downloaded via the software program!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well, it works now...
laugh.gif

All I did was ignore everything on the FAQ, and just use the cheat.dat that is provided with the new M3 1.04 release (it wasn't on the first one i downloaded).

Did anyone mention that it was THAT simple? The codes for nearly every game I have are all there...Â
wacko.gif

you are totally missing the point of this faq, i will leave that for you to figure out what you have missed ¬_¬

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this elsewhere but you may find this a help for your FAQ, and its saves alot of time as well

Actually you can make your own complete list quite easily. I found something out a while back when I was looking through AR's code to find out why my real ARDS didn't work. ( Support was less than poor form the support people ). Don't think this is common knowledge but it may now prove helpful for the new cheat option.

When the AR software looks for updates it references the following link internally

If you download it you will find its the list of European game codes in xml, so just save it as an xml.

If you change the last part to us.asp then you will find its the list of US game codes and jp.asp for the Japanese games

Unless they change their software to stop people who don't have an ARTS downloading the files, you can just keep getting tour updates from there.

don't use this link, the codelists xml files provided in that link are not complete, you shall see for yourselves when you download it and compare it to the xml files downloaded via the software program!

They are compatible, I use them with mine and they work, you have to remember to save as an xml file not the defeault save type

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
They are compatible, I use them with mine and they work, you have to remember to save as an xml file not the defeault save type

i'm not talking about the xml files itself, i'm talking about the codelist, it's not complete from that link, see for yourself and compare the filesize to the xml file downloaded from ARCM program.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

i'm not talking about the xml files itself, i'm talking about the codelist, it's not complete from that link, see for yourself and compare the filesize to the xml file downloaded from ARCM program.

I just downloaded the file and loaded straight into the Code editor program, not the code manager. Once loaded I had a list of loads of cheats in the code list window. This is then used to make a user code list. These are the updates that the actual code manager uses to compile its own list.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Hi guys, yeah... sure that way works. But funem, it is much easier telling people to import it from that list using ARCM, as my tutorial is based around it... instead of making a new section. I think that I might make a new section if I have time... but since ARCM is useful for other stuff, I didn't really require telling everyone about this shortcut method
smile.gif

That's because it is an EU file, the US file contains about ten times more supported games

you are totally missing the point of this faq, i will leave that for you to figure out what you have missed ¬_¬

Quoted for trooooooth... If you did actually...
QUOTE(Bouncy1973 @ Apr 20 2007, 08:21 AM)
I have read 'ALL OF THIS IN THE FIRST POST'

Then you would have figured this out... but no. Please don't waste time posting useless points if you're not going to read the entire post

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest your FAQ is great, the reason I posted what I had found is, you could ( if you want ) just mention it, as little extra info never hurt anyone. But, its your FAQ so you can add or remove stuff as you please.

I myself download the codes manually as the software itself has problems with my firewall that the support people cant seem to fix.

I have read a few of your FAQ's they are a nice piece of work, I'm sure they are appreciated by a number of people.

KittyPrincess66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for preparing this guide it is very informative.

OK, so as I understand this there is still no support for games requiring a (M) code in AR. There is not a way to tell the M3 (what I use) which code to use? I know this is possible with dipstar I use that with good results but again, as I understand it, it loads via gba and is a totally different animal in the way it accesses memory hooks.

Also I am unable to find the Final ver of the M3DSS 1.04 english firmware. I have the beta but the cheat.dat (blank) and the usrcheat.dat file have no effect.

KittyPrincess66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am more concerned with the cheat support engine itself and its inability to use (M) Must be on codes. Is there source code for the engine? There are a few people that would take a crack at fixing this issue. Is it a rip off of the AR code or is it newly written? This is what I have been asked to find out.

I got files ftp'd to me, but still don't know what portal bfoos was talking about?? I was hoping that the author of this guide would put the links for the M3 firmware up on the first page as well. It would be helpful for M3 users. BUT to the author's credit it may be that unreliable links on the M3 page have kept it off of this guide.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

kikoexe

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I hope im posting in the right thread.. anyway, here goes..

i have an english and a japanese Megaman Battle Network 5 DS ROM.. I used DS Lazy to extract the sound data of the japanese rom and have it transfered to the english rom.. I repacked the english rom and now it works and has japanese voices...
yaynds.gif

HOWEVER
wtf.gif

the "Cheat" box for this game no longer appears.. something must have happened when I unpacked and repacked it.. can anyone help me? i have a hunch that the GAME ID changed when I repacked it but I do not know what to do..
wacko.gif

will appreciate anyone that can enlighten me on this one.. thanks!
yaynds.gif

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yup, game ID has changed because you've made the ROM a different size than the original. Don't think you'll be able to make this edited rom work unless you know how cheat cartidges read the game ID, and then find the game ID again.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
i follow the guide
1) Right Click on the region, and then copy
2) Right Click on my custom cheat list and paste

but it doesnt go into my cheat list, it creats like its its own cheat list

Site & Scene News