Hacking The Definitive R4/M3s Cheat Editor Tutorial / FAQ

ev0lusi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great tutorial, i have 1 question tho'. I couldn't find "save database" in my AR code ds code editor. could anyone help me?
EDIT: nvm, found it

retman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FINALLY!

I've finally got the cheats working semi-thanks to this guide.

Is it true that cheats might produce lag and slowdowns in games or this is false?

Nope, false. It doesn't produce lag/slowdown

grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

Maverick-jin8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I kinda have a problem. I'm playing Super Robot Wars W, and the firmware that I had upgraded to already had the cheats on it, so I activated 99 Items/999999 Money. It was working fine for weeks until recently. Here's the thing. Whenever I would use an item, it would reset to 99 if I scrolled through the menu a bit (by pressing L and R). Now my items no longer reset, they just get used. The thing is that while I was playing Rockman ZXA, my L button kinda broke. Which is when the cheat stopped working. The odd thing is, is that I can still scroll through the menu as normal by touching the screen, but the items don't go back.

So... do you need to press L & R to reset item ammounts? Or is it possibly something else.

Matno

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did everything here and the codes work for me but on Animal Crossing Wild World every time i activate one code then load the game. The game stays as a white blank screen so i have to restart this. What am i doing wrong, can someone help me?

BryanBayard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I kinda have a problem. I'm playing Super Robot Wars W, and the firmware that I had upgraded to already had the cheats on it, so I activated 99 Items/999999 Money. It was working fine for weeks until recently. Here's the thing. Whenever I would use an item, it would reset to 99 if I scrolled through the menu a bit (by pressing L and R). Now my items no longer reset, they just get used. The thing is that while I was playing Rockman ZXA, my L button kinda broke. Which is when the cheat stopped working. The odd thing is, is that I can still scroll through the menu as normal by touching the screen, but the items don't go back.

So... do you need to press L & R to reset item ammounts? Or is it possibly something else.
With codes of that type, that give money and items, I would generally enabled them + load the game + check the inventory to see they worked + save the game + reset ds + disable codes. From then on not needing the code because the invetory was saved with all the items and money in when the game was saved, and of course items will then decrease as normal.

If your L buttons isnt working, maybe an issue with your DS ?

BryanBayard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did everything here and the codes work for me but on Animal Crossing Wild World every time i activate one code then load the game. The game stays as a white blank screen so i have to restart this. What am i doing wrong, can someone help me?
You can play this game on the R4 but you cannot cheat on it because it requires a different master code (which the R4 software doesnt allow for at this time)

Maverick-jin8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

With codes of that type, that give money and items, I would generally enabled them + load the game + check the inventory to see they worked + save the game + reset ds + disable codes. From then on not needing the code because the invetory was saved with all the items and money in when the game was saved, and of course items will then decrease as normal.

If your L buttons isnt working, maybe an issue with your DS ?

The L button is from over-use. Odd that it semi-died when playing Rockman ZX, then fixed itself. Now it died completely with Rockman ZXA (which was a year later). But the code only seemed to work when I scrolled with L/R, and since it no longer works, I'm thinking maybe I do need the L button for the code to activate again...

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all thanks for the tutorial iamwhoiam.

I have 2 questions.

1)Is there a problem if i create a combined usrcheat.dat with all the cheats datel released for all games in the 3 regions (US, EU & Jap)? I just imported in r4 cheat editor the three .xml files Codejunkies EU Games.xml, Codejunkies US Games.xml & DS-PAR JP Games.xml and save the combined usrcheat.dat.

2)I can't download the blank CHEAT.DAT. Instead i opened the original inside the system folder with the notepad and deleted all the lines and i saved it. Will it work that way? If not can someone post an alternative link?

Thanks for any help.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay..this is seriously odd.

Playing Lunar Knights, cause I heard it was a good game, and not a single code for it works. I tried the actual Datel codes, and user codes [which are more in detail, with a infinite life code, etc]. and none of them work.

Is this not working due to the fact the game has a different master code than other games, and as such, cannot work properly at the moment?

Are there any other cheat things I can use with the R4 and such? I heard of something called Dipstar, but I have no clue what that is...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DipStar is a homebrewn cheat utility (which hit the scene MANY months before the ARDS was introduced). In order to use it with a Slot 1 cart you have to have an EZ 3-in-1 expansion cart or another Slot 2 (GBA) cart that is capable of writing DipStar as the loader (or as the only thing on the cart for the old generation carts like a Flash Advance Pro). You must also patch the games so that the DS is tricked into booting from the GBA slot by running it through a program called m3dip. You can download DipStar here.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah...thats for things I don't have XD.

Oh well, some codes for Lunar Knights work, but the ones I WANT to work, don't. :X

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh...I'm a tech noob, a trainer is basically the same thing that it is on the PC right? Like a mini exe that acts like a altering device?

And not to sound rude..your trainer for Lunar Knights doesn't seem to do what I want, and thats where my HP isn't an issue in the game. All it does that seems interesting is it maxes out the HP value, something the ARDS codes can do. I want something that prevents it from being depleted.

And grr...you don't have anything for Sonic Rush?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for a PC a trainer is an external program that runs in the background and pokes into the games process' memory. For DS it works a bit differently where I create a patch that is embedded into the game's binary that intercepts a jump and then continues on with the program as usual after the RAM has been altered with the values.

The reason why my trainer does the same as the ARDS codes is because most of the addresses to RAM for the trainers are gotten from ARDS codes. For one reason or another there is no code for infinite hp so that's why it doesn't appear in my trainer.

And no, I have not made trainers for every single game available as it takes a lot of time since they are all done by hand in ARM assembler. However if you look around you will see that there is in fact a Sonic Rush trainer that was released a long time ago.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my, Google!

....I just realized how dumb I come off as, and now feel like.

EDIT: Can trainers work on just the R4?

bfoos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's because the cheat.dat file is encrypted. Use r4crypt to decrypt the file. It will then open in the cheat code editor. Use r4crypt to encrypt the file again before putting it back on your card.

thomasroberts6

Trophies
XP
Country
I used the Cheat editor from the website to add a code that i knew worked on pokemon diamond, and for some reason, it didnt show up. I followed the tutorial perfectly, so i dont understand why it didnt work. Are the custom cheats in the same list as the official ones?

Also, how on earth do the cheats get added in the first place? I didnt add the official ones, so how do they do it?

Sorry if this is a n00b question, i am very new to the forums and am still working out the kinks of my r4ds.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-