The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Morons never learn.
They failed with PC piracy so they are going to fail with Switch piracy.

I dont have a hacked Switch but i might get one now.
When anti-piracy happens the pirates now have something to do. It wont take them long to hack it and remove it.

So this does NOT stop piracy it makes more of it.

I wont buy games with these protections in them as this protection DOES usually ruin games.
I prefer the hacked version as it diesnt have these glitches which ruins the game.
A hacked game is usually smoother, faster, less problems and easier to get and play.

WHY would i get a game which has a possibility to have a glitch every 10 mins qs thats when the piracy check works when i can get a hacked version without that check so its smoother and wont glitch at a crucial moment in the game.

So any game with this protection is now a loss of sale and a pirated download instead.

Yea im going to lose a little bit of money in buying another console to play these hacked games but the worst is the stupid game devs who added this stupid protection. Their stupidity means they now lost a lot of sales and will get more pirated versions out there instead.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from this probably being a non-challenge for those who actually see what's going on with this and its way of detection being pretty easy to bypass with enough time. The big question is why now?

I mean seriously, why now? The Switch is old as hell now, and most if not all the best games for it have already been released without this being a thing. We are basically on the cusp of a new console generation announcement from Nintendo if they plan on actually releasing one in the next year or two.

This just comes off as being too little too late for the company. Its silly as hell to do anything about it now given how much is already past it's use case meaning anything worth shit.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, you're shooting yourself in the foot.
This looks like Nintendo doesn't have any involvement in this. Especially with how things are worded to avoid mentioning Nintendo themselves and that Denuvo is only "supporting" indies and third-party games.

If anything, Nintendo will likely go after them. Likely, but not guaranteed.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like Nintendo doesn't have any involvement in this. Especially with how things are worded to avoid mentioning Nintendo themselves and that Denuvo is only "supporting" indies and third-party games.

That's fair. let's hope nintendo puts a stop to it.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
So their plan is to have to have your Switch online to play games, a handheld console, always online?

A couple Youtube videos of Steam Deck emulating Switch and suddenly Nintendo thinks Switch piracy is "rampant." Hilarious. Also a total waste of money on the tail end of Switch's lifespan, and a performance hit on already-limited hardware.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo is planing to retire the Switch any time soon though.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A couple Youtube videos of Steam Deck emulating Switch and suddenly Nintendo thinks Switch piracy is "rampant." Hilarious. Also a total waste of money on the tail end of Switch's lifespan, and a performance hit on already-limited hardware.
oh lovely. these will be patched out quickly.

DRM never fully works. Whether it be regular checks, or it be a code wheel, they all get cracked at some point. The only thing that has some solidarity is phoning home regularly, and depending on the software, that's even patched out most of the time.

Nintendo, you're shooting yourself in the foot. it also doesn't seem like this is going to affect piracy on consoles in the slightest because they run natively, without emulation. I'm sure a good chunk of piracy is being done on CFW, and this doesn't change that one bit.
why re people saying this is nintendo call or fault? lol they are the company that makes AP stuff and they are now offering this service for switch developers... this has nothing to do with nintendo lol they are expanding their developers only, nintendo didnt order this or will implement it on every game, same like pc games, this is a developer option to pay them and use nothing more, or you blame microsoft for every denuvo pc game? it makes no sense what you guys are saying...

Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I might be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo is planing to retire the Switch any time soon though.
Could've fooled me, the major game releases for it have slowed down considerably.

nintendo didnt order this or will implement it on every game
Ehh we'll see. I don't think they would've bothered developing this if not at the request of Nintendo. I'd count on every first-party game from here on out including it.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why re people saying this is nintendo call or fault? lol they are the company that makes AP stuff and they are now offering this service for switch developers... this has nothing to do with nintendo lol they are expanding their developers only, nintendo didnt order this or will implement it on every game, same like pc games, this is a developer option to pay them and use nothing more, or you blame microsoft for every denuvo pc game? it makes no sense what you guys are saying...
Instead of being so hasty to call everyone out. read the rest of the messages. I had already been corrected and corrected my statement on the fact.

That's fair. let's hope nintendo puts a stop to it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Could've fooled me, the major game releases for it have slowed down considerably.

Ehh we'll see. I don't think they would've bothered developing this if not for Nintendo's request. I'd count on every first-party game from here on out including it.
lol did you read the post even? they are marketing this more for indie and 3rd partys games than nintendo itself, they want to make multiplatform games protrected, it says it right there on the op... they did this because the switch is selling like crazy and they want to sell to more developers...

Reactions: tabzer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazons-cloud-unit-pauses-orders-134219461.html?guccounter=1 mmm