Misc test connection still failing

giodigenna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When I try to connect to wi-fi connection via my home wireless router (Hamlet HSNW254) the connection test always fails: ad first the icon gets green, with all the bars shown, and at the end it becomes red, saying check DNS (error 500XX or so). My wireless LAN works very well with every other device, including laptop computers and my WII. I have no security keys (WEP or WAP). I tried to configure all the parameters in my wireless router, including static and dinamic DNS, "opening" ports for my NDS, but everything failed. So, I was wondering if there was any documentation explaining the in-depth functioning of wifi connection, as it's actually impossible to make any serious debugging. For example, I thought there may be a problem regarding the kind of internet address used, but there's no way to figure out, as the error condes are useless.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the nds requires:

802.11b (although b/g mode is reported to function correctly)
channels 1, 6 or 11 (only!)
SSID set to public broadcast

optional:
WEP 64/128 with a valid key.

you do not need to *open* any ports, allow in any firewalls, etc. if your wireless works then the ds depends on how you have it set. doesn't the wii require 802.11g? i could have sworn i read that some place, but i do not own a wii so i can't be sure.

double check your settings and repost.

-another world

giodigenna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for your reply. I have tried many different ways to solve the problem. My wireless router supports both 802.11 b and g standards, and I have tried to enable the "b" standard alone and in combination with the "g". The channel is number 11, and I have tried number 6, too. I can play online with my Wii with "Mario strikers charged football", with the router set to "802.11 b+g". The thing I find really weird is that the NDS identifies the network SSID, in the test phase establishes the connection with a very strong signal, but at the end of the test says it hasn't been able to get an internet address, even when I set it manually to a static IP assigned to the MAC address of the NDS itself. So I was asking myself if the problem is in the internet adrress itself, in the sense that the range of internet addresses my router is assigning (192.168.0.x) is out of the reach of the NDS. Otherwise I can't see anything I haven't considered.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
static ips are really only useful if you have some type of port forwarding associated with a specific device on your network. af far as i have read the nds does not require any specific range of ip addresses to work on a network. when you say that it is connecting with full bars but then erroring out is this during the firmware test phase or when trying to get an actual game/rom online? is your SSID something you set and not the store defult? nintendo recommends you change it because the initial handshake is based off of the SSID. two of the same SSIDs within range could in theory (according to their tech support) cause a conflicting issue.

assuming your trying games and not just the firmware, have you tried more than one game? i find that some games only connect for me after a few tries and others connect instantly. also you should give some online homebrew a go. try a web browser or an irc client just to double check.

let me also add that the 1-800 number on the back of your nds is indeed a toll free call. you seem technicial so perhaps it is worth the call just to see what they have to say. it might be something simple then can help you out with.

personally all i can do is suggest that you try a combination of homebrew/roms/retail carts to attempt to figure out what the issue is. also perhaps trying the nds on a friends network or an open network at some coffie house. there is a chance it is something internal with your nds.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?