Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

Sleeva

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Make sure the NX ovloader is in sxos/titles

And im really Not Sure If emuiibo works with sxos. I dont think so.

Thanks for the reply, I turned on Tesla overlay, but when I choose emuiibo it says "access was denied". I wish there were a known workaround for this :(

WerWolv

EdiZon and Tesla Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Just want to mention it once again. If you want good homebrew support, don't choose a CFW that is closed source, completely undocumented and basically gives a fuck about homebrew. If you wanna pirate, feel free but from a dev point of view, it's very frustrating to give support to people that, against all advices, still use SX and expect homebrew to work.

Spacerat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everybody, wonder, if only i have this (little) issue.
I'm on vanilla atmosphere 0.12.0 and emummc on 10.0. With the latest tesla (1.0.5 iirc) atmosphere crashes on boot into emummc (after the Nintendo logo). Cfw Sysnand works fine.
The error says, it has something to do with the titleid 0100000000001000. (Which has something to do with the homemenu iirc)
If i extract the homemenu and install a theme (with nx theme) and install Tesla afterwards, the switch boots without an issue and tesla works flawless.

Anybody else has this issue?

Sleeva

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just want to mention it once again. If you want good homebrew support, don't choose a CFW that is closed source, completely undocumented and basically gives a fuck about homebrew. If you wanna pirate, feel free but from a dev point of view, it's very frustrating to give support to people that, against all advices, still use SX and expect homebrew to work.

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound rude to you or anyone else here. I just got whatever I could get when I was back in China 1.5 years ago.
There was no fanboying for any of the OS operators in my messages, just wanted to find out a working solution for my problem, because there is literally no sources on the internet.
I got your message and will try to make it work on Atmo, despite that I'm not accustomed to this OS.
Sorry, once again.

Spacerat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems to be a problem with a custom theme! Please delete the folder sd:/atmosphere/contents/0100000000001000
The folder wasn't even present, because i setup a clean 0.12.0 AMS.. only the folders that comes with atmosphere...
Only folder i added was the one from nx-ovlloader.
So there was no theme set and no extracted homemenu on the SD card.

After it crashes, i removed that folder, and was able to boot into AMS.
In AMS i installed tesla again (with hb appstore), but after rebooting, AMS crashed again.

So i deleted the folder, booted AMS and was wondering, what was different to my former setup because it worked on 9.2 with AMS 0.10.5.

So i extracted the home menu, installed the same theme, i'm always using, installed tesla again and rebooted the switch.

Now AMS boot succesfully and the overlay works like a charm.

So i'm wondering, if the extracted homemenu leads to success.

Btw. My Sysnand is still on 9.1.. so as i assumed, that cfw sysnand works (also without an active theme) it might be depending on the firmware, not on the difference from sysnand/emunand.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey, the first combo I wanted was actually using the screenshot button because it fits so well for it. The problem is I can't prevent overlaydisp to listen to the button as well. This causes a screenshot to be taken every time you open the Tesla overlay which obviously is less than ideal. If I ever find a way around this issue, I'll definitely put it on there :)
You can check here how it was dealed with screenshot button
https://github.com/HookedBehemoth/bitmap-printer/commit/f02743fde9bd0d992bd668d2cb67d5683cb40bb8
First version was making default screenshots not working and doing instead bmp screenshot (one on press, one on unpress) without any notification, second one is doing bmp and default screenshots at the same time (only on press).

Reactions: cucholix

Sleeva

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Booted Atmos, merged both OS's Emunand, now everything works fine. Will stick with Atmo.

Spacerat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The folder wasn't even present, because i setup a clean 0.12.0 AMS.. only the folders that comes with atmosphere...
Only folder i added was the one from nx-ovlloader.
So there was no theme set and no extracted homemenu on the SD card.

After it crashes, i removed that folder, and was able to boot into AMS.
In AMS i installed tesla again (with hb appstore), but after rebooting, AMS crashed again.

So i deleted the folder, booted AMS and was wondering, what was different to my former setup because it worked on 9.2 with AMS 0.10.5.

So i extracted the home menu, installed the same theme, i'm always using, installed tesla again and rebooted the switch.

Now AMS boot succesfully and the overlay works like a charm.

So i'm wondering, if the extracted homemenu leads to success.

Btw. My Sysnand is still on 9.1.. so as i assumed, that cfw sysnand works (also without an active theme) it might be depending on the firmware, not on the difference from sysnand/emunand.

So i was curious and updated my sysnand too.
Now i get the same error on cfw sysnand.

So i have this situation:
Currently on 10.0.1 sysmmc and emummc, ams 0.12.0
Tesla installed and vanilla homemenu - crashes on boot with 0100000001000
Tesla installed, homemenu extracted, but no theme installed - crashes on boot with 01000000100C

Tesla installed, homemenu extracted, theme installed - boots and works flawless...

So it's not a big deal for me, but makes me curious, what could cause the error.

CymraegAce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! You seem the only ones that have Tesla working on SXOS right now, at least accroding to my research...
Can you elaborate a bit on how to make it work? I Have 10.0.1 and SXOS 2.9.5b. I hold L and DPAD DOWN, then press right trigger and nothing happens. Thanks beforehands.

EDIT: I only need it for emuiibo. Or is there any other solution to emulate amiibo on sxos?

I'm almost there, got most overlays working as they should under SXOS 2.9.5b / 9.1 Horizon. Albeit, minus a couple, that are specifically setup to work under Atmosphere, sysmodule etc.

I've got the Emuiibos overlay working & reading/acknowledging downloaded Amibo data, etc.. I'll write some clear instructions up for you once I get it confirmed working in game...

Last edited by CymraegAce,

Spacerat

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Tesla installed, homemenu extracted, but no theme installed - crashes on boot with 01000000100C

Tesla installed, homemenu extracted, theme installed - boots and works flawless...

So it's not a big deal for me, but makes me curious, what could cause the error.

So the error was on my side...
Did update tesla, but didn't saw, that there was a new ovlmenu too....

Updated the overlay and now all works like it should.

CymraegAce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Booted Atmos, merged both OS's Emunand, now everything works fine. Will stick with Atmo.

Ahh, had missed this post of yours. You made the right jump, it seems theres some issues running Emuiibo under SXOS v2.9.5b, causes a number of games to fail to launch due to bad hooks or whatever... Had to remove it...

The following overlays are however working, along with sys-ftd-light:

• fastCFWswitch
  • QuickNTP
  • Status-Monitor
  • sys-tune overlay

Last edited by CymraegAce,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finally took some time to update my shit and install some new homebrew, this whole overlay thing is pretty sweet - excellent work!

I think awhile ago someone had a post/thread with a list of all overlays, is that still around/updated?

Reactions: CymraegAce

CymraegAce

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

01000000100C : it's the overlay used by RetroReload...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!